Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on MS clearance / suspension Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Wondering if the regular suspension (lower maintenance issues) height / clearance on 2017 models is high enough for most Hong Kong island streets, as well as potential trips to Sai Kung neighborhoods. I know it's a bit broad but I am deciding between a regular vs smart suspension and whether the extra height is really necessary. My only concern would be to village homes where it can be rather hilly. Thanks in advance!

B

This is really a personal taste and economic decision rather than a practical one.

The spring suspension for most cars (incl MS) should be able to handle 99.9% of HK roads. You can handle the 0.1% by driving really really slowly. Of course, you’re buying the wrong car if you’re going off roading...

If you drive over potholes or speed humps at speed and regularly, buy the spring suspension. As this would kill the air suspension very quickly, which could be very expensive to replace out of warranty (my guess is 40-60k, and that’s why you see plenty of old luxury cars have replaced worn out air suspension with the much cheaper spring).

Under normal driving, the life expectancy of air suspension is around 5-6 years max and you can reduce this accordingly if you encounter a lot of potholes. I have not come across a set of air suspension lasted more than 6 years. May be some of the early MS or old Merc owners can tell me otherwise.

So it’s really up to you if you value the look and comfort of the air (I own both air and spring cars, the air has noticeably superior ride quality), but just prepare to pay for the replacement bill every so often.

My friends with old Merc and Porsche were literally crying all the way to the bank when replacing broken air on a fully depreciated yesterday’s hero.

This is really a personal taste and economic decision rather than a practical one.

The spring suspension for most cars (incl MS) should be able to handle 99.9% of HK roads. You can handle the 0.1% by driving really really slowly. Of course, you’re buying the wrong car if you’re going off roading...

If you drive over potholes or speed humps at speed and regularly, buy the spring suspension. As this would kill the air suspension very quickly, which could be very expensive to replace out of warranty (my guess is 40-60k, and that’s why you see plenty of old luxury cars have replaced worn out air suspension with the much cheaper spring).

Under normal driving, the life expectancy of air suspension is around 5-6 years max and you can reduce this accordingly if you encounter a lot of potholes. I have not come across a set of air suspension lasted more than 6 years. May be some of the early MS or old Merc owners can tell me otherwise.

So it’s really up to you if you value the look and comfort of the air (I own both air and spring cars, the air has noticeably superior ride quality), but just prepare to pay for the replacement bill every so often.

My friends with old Merc and Porsche were literally crying all the way to the bank when replacing broken air on a fully depreciated yesterday’s hero.

These are good points, and I'm sold on the 99.9% stat and running costs! Went with regular springs =D Thanks for the reply~