Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on new range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am in the market for an S... found one that they can bring in that matches the color I want. The advisor.. actually 2 said the same thing after an informational meeting this am. They said that cars will only get updates to the 390 range if I take delivery after the 7th

any deliveries before the 7th won’t show the new range

anyone else heard this? Reason I want the existing one is I am unsure on the Tempest wheels

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
I was called last night to confirm my delivery for today. I was just called an hour before I was headed to go pick it up to inform me of something similar to the posts above... that they'd paused deliveries for all Model S/X as of last night or this morning in order to install new firmware. They said they'd reach back out as soon as I could get it, but that they're at the whim of the upgrade process.Their guidance was that it should be ready by the first week of March. When asked why I couldn't just do this OTA, it wasn't stated explicitly, but sounded like they wanted service to do the update and that they specifically wanted it delivered with the update.

My only speculation is that they maybe want the "Long Range Plus" designation on all paperwork as well and the only way to do that is to sell it that way. I'd read somewhere that the new name was a requirement, implying that it was a requirement of the EPA. Nothing explicit, though.

See my posts on the Model X thread "351 mile range"
I think the issue is the law. I don't think they can change the Monroney sticker after the car is sold. Maybe you would eventually get the long range plus mileage if you took early delivery but the paperwork and sticker would never show that. I chose to wait till Mar 7th because I think LR+ on the Monroney sticker will improve the resale value and also I am guaranteed to get LR+

So I am in the market for an S... found one that they can bring in that matches the color I want. The advisor.. actually 2 said the same thing after an informational meeting this am. They said that cars will only get updates to the 390 range if I take delivery after the 7th

any deliveries before the 7th won’t show the new range

anyone else heard this? Reason I want the existing one is I am unsure on the Tempest wheels

You can always get different wheels after you take delivery. Lots to choose from - If you like a particular Tesla wheel they no longer offer on new cars, you can look for a used set in like-new condition.

reason I want the existing one is I am unsure on the Tempest wheels

FWIW l was told mine came with the old wheels, but with the delay I could have them swapped for the new wheels for free if I'd like (this was stated as if it was a selling point to them having to delay my delivery). I prefer the ones on there now, and perhaps the one they can bring in for you now could be held with your payment while still receiving the LR+ designation before delivery. Worth asking I'd imagine.

I was just told I can pick it up today and the update will be OTA later. Paperwork will also be updated to LR+

Of course it's all speculation, but my reading of Elon's comments, info in Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com especially about how EPA range stats are processed and the rules for what range manufacturers can quote etc, and also the fact that cars have generally kept getting small tweeks, is that Tesla have been slightly unnecessarily conservative in their range figures. In ideal temp / weather, new (Raven) cars have proven that they can and do exceed the previous EPA figures, so a software update to the range computer will start reflecting the new expected performance.

I expect there will be some specific hardware like the wheels that give a fixed benefit only to cars having them installed, but in real world it is very hard to spot a 2-3% range increase in the noise of normal battery degredation, temperature fluctuation, weather, tire pressure and wear, wheel size, individual driving style.... etc etc.

unless it is a software update to enable the full caacity of the 120kwh batteries they have been installing for a few months without telling anyone!!!

Last edited:
Very interesting, I am in the same situation; MS LR ordered on Jan 23. I’ve asked the same question but heard crickets so far. Im fine with waiting until 3/7 if I can get the LR+

I called the dealer in Las Vegas, they said they can switch the order to LR+, with no impact to delivery schedule, and to expect delivery within the next two weeks. Yes!!!

But it does sound that if you ordered a LR and want to be guaranteed a LR+, you should explicitly say so.

I ordered a Model S LR in early January (still waiting for a VIN) and I just received an email from my local SC asking if I want to go for a "no cost upgrade" to the 390 mile configuration. He noted that if I go with the range upgrade, I have to take the Tempest wheels instead of the silver Slipstreams I originally ordered.

A bit of a quandary since I really don't want wheel caps (which the Tempest appear to be) but now I'm wondering if the 390 mile configuration is not just a software upgrade for recent models as we've been led to believe. OTOH, if the "LR+" designation is nothing more than a Monroney sticker change, that doesn't seem worth the cheaper wheels...

I ordered a Model S LR in early January (still waiting for a VIN) and I just received an email from my local SC asking if I want to go for a "no cost upgrade" to the 390 mile configuration. He noted that if I go with the range upgrade, I have to take the Tempest wheels instead of the silver Slipstreams I originally ordered.

A bit of a quandary since I really don't want wheel caps (which the Tempest appear to be) but now I'm wondering if the 390 mile configuration is not just a software upgrade for recent models as we've been led to believe. OTOH, if the "LR+" designation is nothing more than a Monroney sticker change, that doesn't seem worth the cheaper wheels...
Just ask them (Delivery center) if you can just change them out at the delivery center when the car arrives....I believe the upgrade is a OTA change, but my car was delivered on 30 Jan 20 and I am not sure they are going to give it to me....wont hurt to ask

How about asking what the main differences in hardware are.... other than wheels..... that you would not get with the software update.

Loads of owners sacrifice some range to have wheels they like, and in this case it may be that you will get more than 50% of the 3% improvement with just software.

Get the updated car with the extra range. Slipstreams are plentiful and cheap if you ever want to change wheels.