Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on new range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only way to get the rated EPA numbers is if you drive below 95kph (60mph) at roughly constant speed on a flat highway with perfectly smooth asphalt

Agreed. One thing I didn't get with the Teslike figures was why the level of regen made any difference if they tested under the flat / ideal conditions needed for a valid test. Since there is no mention of how much downhill or at what stage of the test the downhill segments were made it difficult to interpret or 100% trust the results.

Last edited:
Agreed. One thing I didn't get with the Teslike figures was why the level of regen made any difference if they tested under the flat / ideal conditions needed for a valid test. Since there is no mention of how much downhill or at what stage of the test the downhill segments were made it difficult to interpret or 100% trust the results.

Easy. No Regen is ever going to get back the power needed to accelerate up to that velocity or climb up that hill. If you climb up a 1000m high hill and then roll down 1000m the other side, you won't get anywhere near the extra Wh's used to make that climb. In fact the whole up and down that hill will have used up considerably more Whr's than if that distance was flat (by quite a lot).

Regen is not that efficient.

accelerate up to that velocity or climb up that hill.

My point was that on the level and at constant speed, there is no acceleration, deceleration, climbing or descending, so regen has nothing to do.

Since they give no info about any climbing, descending etc, or if battery has available capacity to accept regen energy during descents, then it is impossible to interpret the claimed difference in range with / without regen. You don't know if regen is actually used at all, or under what conditions.

Reactions: Jughead135
So would love to hear what info people are getting. The advisor on mine just said the existing 373 range drops 1k in price but won't get the 390 range

Hmmm. What? None of it? That suggests the mooted software update for cars from the past few months isn't going to make much difference. Also supports view that maybe the wheel trims are a key factor.