Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on new used Tesla Model 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my latest purchase, I purchased FSD at time of ordering. In the car info screen it states "Included Package" under FSD. I'd be curious if when purchased after delivery it states something else? Or only if your on the subscription does it state something different.

I hedged by bet on FSD by getting it with the car, instead of after, to "slightly" improve my odd's it would be valued at resale to another 3rd party, besides Tesla. If I were to trade in to Tesla instead I wouldn't expect any value for it.

I should likely get to the end of the thread before replying, but I purchased EAP with my vehicle in 2018, then purchased FSD for 2k as an add on during the "fire sale" 3 week or so time frame that has been discussed here a few times (March 2019). Here is what it says when I log into my account and check my vehicle "details".

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 1.41.40 PM.png

It shows full self driving capability under car details, but also shows it under "upgrades". That PDF link icon under "full self driving capability" on the right hand side of this picture is the payment receipt for when I purchased FSD.

Hope that answers your question on how it shows when purchased after the fact (at least for a vehicle that had EAP first in 2018).

On the "will FSD be taken away" discussion, as @Phlier says "we dont know for sure" (on a complete side note, nice to see you back here on TMC @Phlier)

If the dealership OP bought it from is telling the truth in that they purchased the vehicle directly from the first owner, then it should stay. If they purchased it from the owner, but THAT person wasnt the first purchaser, who knows.

Basically, if tesla ever got the car back at any point since it was purchased, FSD will likely be removed. If tesla never owned the car (even briefly) after its original purchase, then it will likely stay. The problem is checking the chain of custody of the used vehicle, so no one can ever answer this definitively unless you buy it from the first owner.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: alexgr and Phlier
I should likely get to the end of the thread before replying, but I purchased EAP with my vehicle in 2018, then purchased FSD for 2k as an add on during the "fire sale" 3 week or so time frame that has been discussed here a few times (March 2019). Here is what it says when I log into my account and check my vehicle "details".

View attachment 708950

It shows full self driving capability under car details, but also shows it under "upgrades". That PDF link icon under "full self driving capability" on the right hand side of this picture is the payment receipt for when I purchased FSD.

Hope that answers your question on how it shows when purchased after the fact (at least for a vehicle that had EAP first in 2018).

On the "will FSD be taken away" discussion, as @Phlier says "we dont know for sure" (on a complete side note, nice to see you back here on TMC @Phlier)

If the dealership OP bought it from is telling the truth in that they purchased the vehicle directly from the first owner, then it should stay. If they purchased it from the owner, but THAT person wasnt the first purchaser, who knows.
tesl
Basically, if tesla ever got the car back at any point since it was purchased, FSD will likely be removed. If tesla never owned the car (even briefly) after its original purchase, then it will likely stay. The problem is checking the chain of custody of the used vehicle, so no one can ever answer this definitively unless you buy it from the first owner.

Good knowledge, mine doesn't show the PDF or anything, it just says "Full Self-Driving Capability" on the left hand side. It was a single owner car so I assume that it hasn't passed hands or touched Tesla from the time it was originally purchased (fingers crossed)!

Thanks! That's definitely re-assuring. I'm afraid to do firmware updates now when I see them pop-up; but I assume a firmware update that removes something would be done automatically; not as an option to disregard right?
I don't understand why the FSD should be removed if you purchased the car with the FSD as an advertised included option (was it?). If the car is sold to Tesla, and then the FSD is removed, then the car should be sold as having no FSD. If I pay foe the FSD in full, I expect to get some of that money back when selling the car, which implies the option will be transferred to the buyer. If option is not transferred to the buyer than I should be allowed to retain it when purchasing another Tesla car. If Tesla wants customers to pay for full FSD multiple times, then this should become a good solid consumer class action lawsuit very soon.

I hope that the FSD stays with your car. You'll have to actually update the software eventually when the public beta is released .... in two weeks, as usual ;).
Can you tell us what firmware your car has now and what new version does it want to install?
Also, 2018 Model 3 didn't have Hardware v3 that is required for full FSD functionality. Do you see stop signs and traffic lights on the screen? If so, then your car has been upgraded to the newer hardware, which is good.

• Informative
Reactions: dduffey
I don't understand why the FSD should be removed if you purchased the car with the FSD as an advertised included option (was it?). If the car is sold to Tesla, and then the FSD is removed, then the car should be sold as having no FSD. If I pay foe the FSD in full, I expect to get some of that money back when selling the car, which implies the option will be transferred to the buyer. If option is not transferred to the buyer than I should be allowed to retain it when purchasing another Tesla car. If Tesla wants customers to pay for full FSD multiple times, then this should become a good solid consumer class action lawsuit very soon.

I hope that the FSD stays with your car. You'll have to actually update the software eventually when the public beta is released .... in two weeks, as usual ;).
Can you tell us what firmware your car has now and what new version does it want to install?
Also, 2018 Model 3 didn't have Hardware v3 that is required for full FSD functionality. Do you see stop signs and traffic lights on the screen? If so, then your car has been upgraded to the newer hardware, which is good.
I agree with you completely! I feel like it's kind of shady of Telsa to be doing that in general, but I also see it from their point of view as well...

I'm not sure what firmware is on the car, it's the latest one and there aren't any more updates available currently. I believe that it has the latest computer since it does see stop lights and stop signs on screen! It also displays as "Full Self Driving Computer", which I read means that it ahs the V3 or the latest screen. Does that mean the original owner opted to upgrade, I heard it was expensive!

it does see stop lights and stop signs on screen! It also displays as "Full Self Driving Computer", which I read means that it ahs the V3 or the latest screen. Does that mean the original owner opted to upgrade, I heard it was expensive!
If it is seeing stop lights and stop signs, FAIK that means that you do have hardware version 3, which is the latest.

Since your car is a 2018 model, it initially would have had hardware version 2.5 on it. If the original owner purchased Full Self Driving (FSD), the upgrade from hardware 2.5 to hardware 3 was free.

If it is seeing stop lights and stop signs, FAIK that means that you do have hardware version 3, which is the latest.

Since your car is a 2018 model, it initially would have had hardware version 2.5 on it. If the original owner purchased Full Self Driving (FSD), the upgrade from hardware 2.5 to hardware 3 was free.
If the owner purchased FSD from factory upon original purchase from Tesla, it would come with HW3 on it right?

If the owner purchased FSD from factory upon original purchase from Tesla, it would come with HW3 on it right?

My 2018 did not. I purchased FSD after the fact and then they installed HW3. Also while HW3 was shipping there was a run of cars that received HW2.5 (that didn't buy FSD) and the thought was that Tesla was using up the HW2.5 bin (although most cars started shipping with HW3).

I agree with you completely! I feel like it's kind of shady of Telsa to be doing that in general, but I also see it from their point of view as well...

I'm not sure what firmware is on the car, it's the latest one and there aren't any more updates available currently. I believe that it has the latest computer since it does see stop lights and stop signs on screen! It also displays as "Full Self Driving Computer", which I read means that it ahs the V3 or the latest screen. Does that mean the original owner opted to upgrade, I heard it was expensive!
Good. It means (to the best of my understanding ability) that the previous owner indeed has purchased the FSD and upgraded the computer. The computer upgrade was included with the full FSD purchase ... normally. Now, even if Tesla takes the FSD from you, you will be able to subscribe for the FSD for a month for $200 without any need for purchasing hardware (which was $1500 recently).

A 2018 did not (as that hardware did not exist at the time) as @alexgr pointed out.

I agree with @alexgr that "if it was advertised as having FSD from the place you purchased from, it will be up to them to make it right. The thing is, most car dealerships have gotten wise to this and do not advertise FSD with vehicles (nor pay a premium for the cars having it on trade in), because they can not be sure what is going to happen.

I would bet that the OP does not have anything from the dealership they bought it from stating the car comes with FSD. If they do, then "win!". I doubt thats the case, however.

OP as for "its kind of shady for tesla to blah blah blah"... THAT specific discussion has been had here over and over and over (and over and over and over and over and over and....), so, I am going to head off that part of the discussion on what tesla should or shouldnt do. There are plenty of other threads for that discussion here on TMC in the autopilot and FSD subforum, which is here:

There are plenty of other threads for that discussion (what tesla "should or shouldnt" be able to do). If you want me to point you to one so you can join in on that discussion there, I would be happy to find one for you.

I bought my car with FSD at the time of purchase from Tesla, so I can't answer that. : /

Maybe someone else can?
Forgive me if this has been answered already (I quickly scanned the preceding posts and did not see anything):

I bought my car July 2018 without EAP or FSD. I added both over the next year. My Tesla account says I have Enhanced Autopilot but no date when it occurred (it was Sept 2018), but the PDF link does have a copy of the invoice. Under Full Self-Driving Capability is has August 15, 2019.

edit: Also, after Premium Connectivity I have "Free Unlimited". Bought my car just before this feature went away as a standard item.
edit2: Upon further review, there's TWO sections (?) which are named Premium Connectivity:

TeslaCarDetailsPremConn.jpg

Last edited:
Did you consider the presence of FSD in your decision to purchase the car? Did you pay a premium for the car because it was present? If not then bonus for you, if so then, should you lose it (I am of the opinion you will not), I would demand someone compensate me for the loss. Just because something can be remotely removed via software doesn't mean it is appropriate to do so. I would not accept Tesla removing FSD anymore than I would for them to come out and physically remove the larger battery and replace it with one for an SR+

Did you consider the presence of FSD in your decision to purchase the car? Did you pay a premium for the car because it was present? If not then bonus for you, if so then, should you lose it (I am of the opinion you will not), I would demand someone compensate me for the loss. Just because something can be remotely removed via software doesn't mean it is appropriate to do so. I would not accept Tesla removing FSD anymore than I would for them to come out and physically remove the larger battery and replace it with one for an SR+

Like I said previously, I am heading off that part of this discussion, in this thread. If you want to have / participate in a discussion on "what Tesla should or shouldnt do" related to this topic, I would be happy to find one of the many threads on that topic here and direct you to one of them for that discussion.

Like I said previously, I am heading off that part of this discussion, in this thread. If you want to have / participate in a discussion on "what Tesla should or shouldnt do" related to this topic, I would be happy to find one of the many threads on that topic here and direct you to one of them for that discussion.
I didn't see anything related to whether she had or had not considered FSD in the purchase of the vehicle. I consider that relevant to this discussion. I then went on to say that if she did then she should demand compensation. Again completely related to this discussion. Then I went on to add a little commentary which, IMO, isn't raising "that" part of the discussion. I am not going to head over to some other discussion merely to make related commentary to the relevant parts of this discussion.

I didn't see anything related to whether she had or had not considered FSD in the purchase of the vehicle. I consider that relevant to this discussion. I then went on to say that if she did then she should demand compensation. Again completely related to this discussion. Then I went on to add a little commentary which, IMO, isn't raising "that" part of the discussion. I am not going to head over to some other discussion merely to make related commentary to the relevant parts of this discussion.
Thanks again everyone for the input! I had no idea anything about Teslas prior to going to the dealership and I do not believe that the car was marked up or anything and FSD wasn't mentioned. So if it stays on the car I suppose I can count it as a bonus! So far so good, still have FSD after the weekend and no issues either. Loving the car and even if they remove FSD I won't be too disappointed or anything since on the busy streets of Houston I haven't been able to really make use of it anyways!

For future readers:

I just bought my 2018 M3P and this was a huge question of concern for me as well. I spoke with a regional sales manager and raised the concern about buying a car that might have FSD currently and the risk of losing it when Tesla serviced it. He told me the only cars this happened to were ones that had it “accidentally“ turned on in the first place.

I’m not sure how much I believe this, unless Tesla has offered FSD for free in the past to certain customers as incentive during end of quarter pushes.

I bought mine from Tesla.com so I was skeptical about not seeing pictures first however I was pleasantly surprised as the vehicle had no dings or scratches of any kind. It still looked brand new inside and out. (17k miles)

Check out EV-CPO.com. It pulls from the Tesla.com website and allows you to really dial in your search and see more specific data about the car along with price history, etc.

If you like me and your looking at 2018 models, the warranty coverage for those vehicles is running out next year - buying through tesla of course gets you the extra 12 months.

I’m not sure how much I believe this, unless Tesla has offered FSD for free in the past to certain customers as incentive during end of quarter pushes.

Tesla has offered free trial periods in the past.

Tesla has also removed the FSD flag on trade-in cars before sending to third party resellers without doing a software refresh. So a customer could receive the car and it would say FSD in the car but as soon as it got the next update would reflect the no FSD that Tesla flagged it to before selling to the dealer.

Thanks for all the input everyone! As of right now the car still has FSD, I keep refreshing the Tesla website to see if it disappears lol!
I do this, too, LOL!

I bought a 2018 LR M3 from Carvana with EAP and it never went away. I traded that in for a 2020 Model Y with FSD from Vroom and I literally check my account online and the app several times a day to make sure it’s still there and I’ve had the car for more than two months now. :)

I thought I was the only one this obsessive!