Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on new used Tesla Model 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I recently purchased a 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD from a Toyota dealership, who obtained the vehicle as a trade-in from an individual (original owner). The car had FSD and Premium Connectivity upon purchase and driving for a week. I went through the steps for getting the vehicle associated with my phone app (submitting proof and everything), and after it was activated, I received a notification that my trial for premium connectivity would start and afterwards it would be $9.99.

I still have my FSD on my "software" screen in car, and it's listed on the my account on the Tesla website under "details". I am under the belief that the original owner purchased the FSD as an option when they bought the car (not after purchase/delivery of the vehicle). Since I already lost the Premium Connectivity does that pretty much mean I should be safe from Tesla reclaiming my FSD as well since they would have flagged both for removal upon activation of my Tesla App?

I've been reading all of the forum posts about this and it's all very confusing and stressful :( . Kind of just wanting something to ease my mind a little!!

Thanks!

Mia.
Free premium connectivity cut off for M3 varies between countries, it's tied into when Tesla opened ordering for the M3 in that country and if you have premium interior

For US M3's with premium interior ordered on or before 30 June 2018 get free premium connectivity for life

Who is eligible for a Premium Connectivity subscription?
All Model S, Model X, Model Y and Model 3 ordered on or after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

ModelOrdered on or before
June 30, 2018
Ordered on or after
July 1, 2018
Model S
Model X
Free Premium ConnectivityEligible for Premium Connectivity subscription
Model 3 with Premium InteriorFree Premium ConnectivityEligible for Premium Connectivity subscription
Model Y
Model 3 Standard Range
Model 3 Standard Range Plus
Not ApplicableEligible for Premium Connectivity subscription

* Used cars ordered on or after January 9, 2020 are eligible for Premium Connectivity subscription.

I contacted Tesla prior to purchasing my car. They confirmed that if FSD was bought and paid for, it transfers WITH the vehicle. The only way this changes is it Tesla buys the vehicle (trade-in, lemon buy back, etc), then it is their car again and they can chose to remove or leave FSD with the car when they re-sell it. If purchasing a used Tesla it is best to get the original invoice (that shows FSD was purchased) as backup.

I contacted Tesla prior to purchasing my car. They confirmed that if FSD was bought and paid for, it transfers WITH the vehicle. The only way this changes is it Tesla buys the vehicle (trade-in, lemon buy back, etc), then it is their car again and they can chose to remove or leave FSD with the car when they re-sell it. If purchasing a used Tesla it is best to get the original invoice (that shows FSD was purchased) as backup.

That only helps you if you are buying directly from the first owner. LOTS of teslas (a ton in fact) are traded into tesla, then tesla sends them to auction, then some company buys them from auction, then re sells them. Person buying vehicle from "company B" in such an instance has no idea tesla ever owned it because it went to auction.

That only helps you if you are buying directly from the first owner. LOTS of teslas (a ton in fact) are traded into tesla, then tesla sends them to auction, then some company buys them from auction, then re sells them. Person buying vehicle from "company B" in such an instance has no idea tesla ever owned it because it went to auction.
I am obsessive about keeping all the paperwork for anything I do with my vehicles. When I was trading in a vehicle I asked the dealer if they wanted me to put the paperwork on the front seat. He said no as they would only shred it. I asked why and he responded that it was a privacy issue for them since the paperwork in all likelihood had my name, address, and phone number and they didn't want to pass that information on to the next owner. While reasonable I was a little bummed as now the new owner didn't have the history of the vehicle.

Reactions: android04