Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on Screen Protectors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried a matte one and it hides fingerprints decently. It won't hide big oily fingerprints and you do lose some sharpness and contrast. I ended up taking the matte one off after two days since it's impossible to see the display if light hits it just right. Here's an example from someone's Amazon review:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71kcGOjNqxL._SL1600_.jpg

I switched to a clear one since then that maintains the sharpness but increases reflections as well. There's a tradeoff whether you go clear or matte.

Glare does not seem to be a problem, but finger prints drive me nuts. A very short drive!
Does the mat version hide prints well and how much does it soften the display?

The matte gives the screen a slightly vintage appearance, similar to laptops with crystalbite vs traditial toplayer.
That said its not necessarily an old look as many modern laptops can be ordered with non glare display especially for business use as it causes less reflections.

The matte is imho better in direct sunlight - when you cant see the display youd get blinded by the unprotected screen instead.

Touches show up slightly less on the matte but they can still be noticeable at certain angles.

I’ve had the matte screen protector in all of my Tesla’s. While no screen protector is ideal, the matte is necessary for sunny texas. Really cuts down on glare that pops through the sunroof.

some may argue that a screen protector isn’t worth it, but my fear was since it’s the main screen that everyone touches, one ring or bracelet/watch scratching the screen would be the worst.

some may argue that a screen protector isn’t worth it, but my fear was since it’s the main screen that everyone touches, one ring or bracelet/watch scratching the screen would be the worst.

Exactly this is why I put one on- I have the clear version and prints are very minimal, unless you're eating a bbq belly fat burger while playing Missile Command. I've seen a few vids where their screen was scratched or chipped due to a purse or backpack with a metal buckle/zipper hitting the screen while tossing it to the passenger seat or scratches due to lose bracelets (think charm bracelets with lots of dangling screen scratchers, etc).

Paying between $10-$35 bucks to avoid paying close to a $1500 repair cost is well worth it.

Just clean the screen regularly :). That's what I'm doing, and the supplied cloth works quite well, although at home I use a microfiber rag sprayed with distilled water. Cleans it in seconds to like-new condition every few days.

all screens come with any grease coating, it will wear after years of touching. Screen protector also come with coating, but much thinner or effective. Just replace another one if you don't like finger print or apply anti-grease by yourself. I hate matt finish as it doesn't look great at an angle or under the sun

Running matte and have no issues with visibility and fingerprints. I don't notice any of the minor negatives mentioned above.

One thing for my install though... While it was a straight forward install, I noticed mis-touches on the top right hand side of the panel. I cleaned and tried to push out any bubbles that maybe I missed for a good while and still no fix. The next day, the panel was just working perfectly.

So if your panel isn't working well right after install, at least give it a day to "set" in place before deciding to rip it off.

all screens come with any grease coating, it will wear after years of touching. Screen protector also come with coating, but much thinner or effective. Just replace another one if you don't like finger print or apply anti-grease by yourself. I hate matt finish as it doesn't look great at an angle or under the sun

This does make me wonder if anyone has ceramic coated the screen on a Model 3. I can't imagine anyone has used the screen enough that they've worn through the coating it comes with from the factory, though.

Another thing to consider...

I read/watch a ton of Tesla related forums and videos, so I can't remember exactly where I came across this, but...

The Model 3 screen is pretty susceptible to being broken from side impacts. There's actually quite a few videos about this. I ended up getting a rubber bumper type of wrap-around screen protector to help protect against this, and am pretty happy with it.

Just something else to consider if you're running out of toys to buy for your Tesla. :)

Reactions: Kimmi
Glare does not seem to be a problem, but finger prints drive me nuts. A very short drive!
Does the mat version hide prints well and how much does it soften the display?

I have the matte screen protector. It does soften the screen BUT after 5 mins, you won't even notice it. Also it helps with the fingerprints a lot compared with not using a protector.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
You guys that are using the matte protectors, are you happy with the brand that you got, and if so, what brand would that happen to be?

I got ThinSGO from Amazon Canada. It didn't have a ship charge at the time I purchased it.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08BHPRFW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No complaints, install was perfect, product has no issues that I have experienced. If my first install went wrong like bubbles or too crooked I would have splurged on the Spigen one for the easy install frame they have. So much more expensive but I really hate bubbles/misalignment.

Tesla Model 3 / Y Screen Protector EZ FIT GLAS.tR Anti-Glare

• Helpful
You guys that are using the matte protectors, are you happy with the brand that you got, and if so, what brand would that happen to be?

I got the matte screen protector from Abstract Ocean. Premium Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3 & Y.

It’s great because it has an applicator that insures it goes on straight (Spiegen has something similar).

I like it a lot, I had a less expensive clear one before that. Like others have said, you trade off a little sharpness but finger prints on the screen drive me nuts, so it’s worth it.

• Helpful