TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Question on self-parking/autopilot now and in the future

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MrBoylan, Nov 3, 2015.

1. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

Aug 2, 2013
    New York, NY
    Hey, folks,

Way back when the D and autopilot were first shown (October, 2014, I think?), Tesla talked about how the car would one day be able to pull itself out of your garage and meet you at the front door. I'm assuming the 7.0 update with auto-pilot and self-parking isn't there yet, right? Specifically, I have a fairly complex ritual to get out of our driveway that requires backing out, negotiating around a neighbor's car and into a narrow space before pulling forward and out the driveway (it's a driveway in NYC, shared by 5 attached houses). It's easy enough to do in our Highlander Hybrid, but the Model X (which we have on order) is apparently about 17 inches wider. My wife is worried that it will be tricky to get in and out of the driveway.

It would be great if the self-parking feature could do this for us: We'd pull out once to "teach" it where to go and then just let it handle the parking after that. Is this anything that has been announced for whatever update comes next?
  2. brkaus

brkaus Member

Jul 8, 2014
    "Stall parking" has been mentioned for next release. I'm assuming that is simple stall parking and not lots of negotiating turns.
  3. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    "Stall parking" meaning like the BMW, the S will slide straight in and out of a garage which you stand there and press the key fob?
  4. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Torrance, CA

Meaning like nobody knows for sure who's talking. ;)