Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on Set Limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Set Limit looks to be default at 90% so I just thought it should stay there.

However I did not see anything in the manual about increasing it to 100%. I looked for some best practices but could not find any.

I often drive a few hours at the time and wonder if I could/should increase my set limit for those days I am driving a lot and then back down when I'm putting around town?

Any help would be most appreciative!

My Set Limit looks to be default at 90% so I just thought it should stay there.

However I did not see anything in the manual about increasing it to 100%. I looked for some best practices but could not find any.

I often drive a few hours at the time and wonder if I could/should increase my set limit for those days I am driving a lot and then back down when I'm putting around town?

Any help would be most appreciative!
There are many threads on this in the forums, so just try searching. But the main takeaway is - don't charge over 90% and let it sit. If you do charge it to 95% or 100%, make sure you're driving it pretty quickly after the charging completes. A couple hours of driving a day can't amount to more than what - 150 miles? So you're still going to be well within the rated range to just keep it topped off at 90%, and never get below 20%. I'd just try 90%, see how much charge you have left on your longest day of driving, and make sure that does't give you range anxiety. If you still have 20-30% left, you're good. If you still have 40% left - consider dropping your daily charge down to 80%.

Reactions: Sw0rdf1sh
Thank you @drawfour for letting me know about percentages.

I'm driving about 140 miles to a football game tomorrow, so going to charge it 100, drive to pick up my son and leave her ready for the AM.

I have been having range anxiety and have not pushed it to under 40%, especially on long trips.

....and I will either top her off in Raleigh or push that range anxiety to the next SC.

Thank you @drawfour for letting me know about percentages.

I'm driving about 140 miles to a football game tomorrow, so going to charge it 100, drive to pick up my son and leave her ready for the AM.

I have been having range anxiety and have not pushed it to under 40%, especially on long trips.

....and I will either top her off in Raleigh or push that range anxiety to the next SC.

Temperatures are also pretty important. Any super low or super high temps degrade the battery more. Realistically though the amount of effect you're going to have on it is pretty minimal. Talking single digit percentage difference after years. Just enjoy your car and stop off at a supercharger when your car tells you.

There are many threads on this in the forums, so just try searching. But the main takeaway is - don't charge over 90% and let it sit. If you do charge it to 95% or 100%, make sure you're driving it pretty quickly after the charging completes. A couple hours of driving a day can't amount to more than what - 150 miles? So you're still going to be well within the rated range to just keep it topped off at 90%, and never get below 20%. I'd just try 90%, see how much charge you have left on your longest day of driving, and make sure that does't give you range anxiety. If you still have 20-30% left, you're good. If you still have 40% left - consider dropping your daily charge down to 80%.
Sorry if this is a noob question but why is it not good to let it sit on a higher charge?

Eg I don’t have a home charger (live in an apartment block) and only charge at my local supercharger. I don’t drive a lot and sometimes not every day. I’ll let it get down to around 50 miles before charging back up again. What makes it bad for me to charge to say, 95% to lengthen the time between Supercharging?

Sorry if this is a noob question but why is it not good to let it sit on a higher charge?

Eg I don’t have a home charger (live in an apartment block) and only charge at my local supercharger. I don’t drive a lot and sometimes not every day. I’ll let it get down to around 50 miles before charging back up again. What makes it bad for me to charge to say, 95% to lengthen the time between Supercharging?

It's just the chemical reactions that go on inside. What chemists say is it is really only bad when the battery is highly charged and then let sit in a high temperature. Supercharging is also more rough on the battery than slowly charging at home or even a Tesla destination charger. None of this is probably going to have a big enough impact you even care though.

Reactions: Fair Verona