Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on TeslaCam - Making copies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, this feels like a really dumb question, but... I see all these YT Vids where Tesla drivers make copies of video clips to hand off to cops. How are they doing that? Do they happen to have a laptop with them to copy the thumb drive? Is there a way I don't know to have the car copy it?

When I want a copy, I go home, take the USB out of the car, and plug it into my desktop. But I see clips where the Tesla driver says he made a copy of a clip and handed it to the officer.

The car has multiple USB ports, so I can see where it would be easy to implement some basic functions. Did I miss something?

Nothing in the car to do this, no.

It's possible they can connect and copy it to their phone perhaps. Or they just happen to have an extra USB stick in the car that can also connect to their phone to copy stuff (I'm in this bucket, but not for this reason... I just forget it was in there).

Or perhaps it's all staged.

Many options!

It's possible they can connect and copy it to their phone perhaps. Or they just happen to have an extra USB stick in the car that can also connect to their phone to copy stuff (I'm in this bucket, but not for this reason... I just forget it was in there).

Many options!

I keep a couple of old USB thumb drives and a USB-C to USB-A OTG adaptor in my car for this exact reason. I can transfer files from my SSD to my phone, then copy them over to the thumb drive to give away if needed. I have a front/rear Blackvue too that I can connect to via an ad-hoc wifi network and get higher quality video off of it. Hopefully will never need to use any of it.

Reactions: SanteeMike
OK, this feels like a really dumb question, but... I see all these YT Vids where Tesla drivers make copies of video clips to hand off to cops. How are they doing that? Do they happen to have a laptop with them to copy the thumb drive? Is there a way I don't know to have the car copy it?

When I want a copy, I go home, take the USB out of the car, and plug it into my desktop. But I see clips where the Tesla driver says he made a copy of a clip and handed it to the officer.

The car has multiple USB ports, so I can see where it would be easy to implement some basic functions. Did I miss something?

I had the VERY same thought!

A stupid related question: If you need to just extract like 10 seconds of the 'archived' 10 minutes (or from the 60-minute loop), can you do that with the PC media player, or you need a special program? Thx. Hope never need to do that, but that's what a dash cam is for, so want to know how to do it. Thanks gang.

Many options!
I'm confused, how can I copy a route map from my model3. I'm planning a trip and want to stay at a particular hotel chain. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.