TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question on the SC at Gilroy , CA

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Elctrek, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Elctrek

Elctrek Darth Voltage

While driving home from the factory Friday I stopped at the Gilroy super charger to check it out. I noticed about 4 chargers with front drive in slots but they were all marked reserved. Are these for Tesla employees or for public use? The others with back in slots were not marked reserved... just Tesla.

2. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I don't know, but those four are the original ones, and they were still 90 kW last time I was there. The others are 120 kW, so at least it's the slow ones that are roped off.

3. Lou Olsen

Lou Olsen Member

I use the Gilroy chargers fairly often and I've never seen any reserved signs on any of them. As markb1 mentioned, the four to the right of the power junction are the original ones. Although they say 90kW, I believe that all are now 120kW chargers. At any rate, the Gilroy chargers seem especially prone to charge rates that vary wildly. I've had the rate vary from 7kW at one charger to almost 120 at another. This seems to go beyond the typical variables of outside temperature or the number of charge ports in use. As far as the original question, I think that the "reserved" sign is probably "reserved for Tesla owners". Go ahead and use them. If you have any problems with the chargers, just call the help number. I was amazed that the guy I talked to knew when I got there, what stall I was in, the color of my MS, and much more. These folks seem to be on top of everything!

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

A close-up picture might help unravel this mystery.

5. strider

strider Active Member

Doesn't that just mean reserved for Tesla's?

6. Elctrek

Elctrek Darth Voltage

I will take a photo next time I stop there... There was a mfgr's car there when I pulled up.

7. redline0316

redline0316 Member

+1 on the wild charging differences...I tried two of the older ones and could only get 40kw. Then moved over to the newer one and got over 100kw. I made sure the plug was snug each time. No adjacent cars.

8. hhorwitz

hhorwitz Member

I was there yesterday, before seeing this thread, and it was clear to me that "reserved" meant "reserved for Teslas".