Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question on tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had to tint in a long time, is Huper Optik still awesome? I had that on one car that I had to sell, and it was pretty sweet for heat reduction in AZ.

It's still an option, yes. There doesn't seem to be a consensus winner.

And our heat is as bad as Arizona's. The oldest car I still own with Huper was bought end of 2007 and the tint is still perfect.

So my concern with the all the glass roof, as it comes from the factory, is the build up of heat within the car. Without a sunshade, how hot do you guys think the car's interior will get?. I've always had sunroofs, but never one from front to rear and never one without a sunshade. Couple this with a black interior, and it could get really hot. Even a white interior could get quite sweaty.
Sure it can get hot but, with the amount of tinting and UV shielding, probably not all that much hotter than a car with a metal roof. The cars will also have the Cabin Overheat Protection mode that will kick in if the car gets too hot - I think over 105F. You may be able to adjust that lower if you like.

Which is why I don't tint, even living in the Southwest. Why would you intentionally reduce visibility out of your windows for the sake of comfort? Cars should be designed around forcing the driver to pay attention to the road at all times, not making them feel comfortable and relaxed.

I guess you don't wear sunglasses, either?

Does tinting help keep cabin air warm in the winter when heating is on or is it mainly to block the sunlight, infrared and uv rays out?

Doesn't do anything to keep heat in. I assume there's a very slight disadvantage in the winter in really cold areas as not as much heat from the sun will come in to help warm up the car.

I guess whether you should tint or not (especially with the high end stuff) depends on whether the heat bothers you more or the cold. We have a spare car that spends some years in San Francisco. It has no tint. Conversely, here, even though it can drop to the upper teens in the winter, it doesn't snow and daytime temps are usually just above freezing so a car's climate control is fine. Conversely, we can top 115 in the summers (most of this summer was in the 110+ range) and a lot of cars a/c struggle to keep up with that heat. The tint makes a MASSIVE difference. Particularly if you have black paint or a black interior.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I had the top of my panoramic windshield tinted on the X. I wouldn't imagine it to be any different on the 3...probably just the samething in reverse.

Skip to 1:05
Biggest difference is that people will want to tint the whole back window in the 3, whereas your windshield, you just had the top part tinted. With the gradient in the middle of window, that is the tricky thing we are grasping at. Either tinting in two pieces with two different levels so as to not make the already tinted part too dark or do in one piece at the same tint level. I guess could do in two pieces at the same level as well. Not sure what will look best from either the inside or outside.