Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on White Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought my wife a metallic silver MX with black leather seats. The car is so awesome that 3 days after taking delivery I placed an order for a 2nd for me!

I like metallic silver because it looks good even when the car isn't super clean. This time around though I was thinking of ordering white seats. However I have concerns about fading/yellowing over time and challenges with keeping them clean.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

I recently bought my wife a metallic silver MX with black leather seats. The car is so awesome that 3 days after taking delivery I placed an order for a 2nd for me!

I like metallic silver because it looks good even when the car isn't super clean. This time around though I was thinking of ordering white seats. However I have concerns about fading/yellowing over time and challenges with keeping them clean.

Can anyone offer me some advice?
Only people that would really know might be Tesla, nobody has had it long enough to test the long term wear of those seats.

Also, check this thread: Perforated seats durability?

The title says "perforated seats", but the content is mostly about the durability of the white seats in particular. It's not clear if a car without the premium package will have the perforated seats or not or how that will affect their durability.

The white seats are definitely in question, but leather seats have also torn (though not as frequently) with the perforations. I think the perforation spacing in conjunction with the leather/syn leather thickness is the culprit here, and I imagine it'll be addressed before too long.

The white seats are definitely in question, but leather seats have also torn (though not as frequently) with the perforations. I think the perforation spacing in conjunction with the leather/syn leather thickness is the culprit here, and I imagine it'll be addressed before too long.
My apologies, ohmman is right. I had misread a post over in the other thread thinking it was reporting more tears in white seats, but it was about observations on a number of different colors of perforated seats. So, it really is the perforation probably more than the white material.

Hopefully they can change their perforation technique to produce a more durable seat and in the meantime it may be likely that a non-premium car wouldn't have the same problem.

But none of that answers your original question about cleaning and color fastness, apologies for side tracking your thread...

A friend in CA with white seats on her X tell me she has spilled coffee and her kids have spilled food on the seats and it wipes right off. No residual discoloration yet. Of course she has only had the car for about 4 weeks. I configured our X with the same color combo as the OP (metallic silver/black seats) but went ahead and changed it recently to get the white seats instead. Time will
tell.

Ordered my pearl white X with white seats. Still awaiting my delivery, but so far every owners report I've seen for the white seats says that they're excellent in every way.

We have one owners report of two small tears or snags on the front of the driver's seat. And reports that some of the traveling X's for the Meet the X event have snags and tears in the white seats. However, there are also a couple tears in tan leather seats in those traveling X's. Saw for myself a cut in a tan seat at the Buena Park Tesla showroom when I stopped in two weeks ago as I saw they had the Meet the X event while I was in town there. The reports are the same from the Tesla people, the seats are screwed up from hauling their signs.

The owner's report of the small tears along with one of the white seats on the traveling cars show identical marks, one passenger and one drivers seat between the two. I'm really thinking that those two instances are manufacturing defects and the owner didn't notice them on initial delivery of the vehicle.

I have seen interior pictures of test vehicles with white seats. The seats looked dirty, the people driving these test cars are driving them hard and torturing them. No tears. But seats are obviously dirty.

I'm not worried about the white seats myself. I also know that if they turn out to be a problem, that Tesla will make it right.

Ordered my pearl white X with white seats. Still awaiting my delivery, but so far every owners report I've seen for the white seats says that they're excellent in every way.
We have one owners report of two small tears or snags on the front of the driver's seat. And reports that some of the traveling X's for the Meet the X event have snags and tears in the white seats. However, there are also a couple tears in tan leather seats in those traveling X's. Saw for myself a cut in a tan seat at the Buena Park Tesla showroom when I stopped in two weeks ago as I saw they had the Meet the X event while I was in town there. The reports are the same from the Tesla people, the seats are screwed up from hauling their signs.

The owner's report of the small tears along with one of the white seats on the traveling cars show identical marks, one passenger and one drivers seat between the two. I'm really thinking that those two instances are manufacturing defects and the owner didn't notice them on initial delivery of the vehicle.

I have seen interior pictures of test vehicles with white seats. The seats looked dirty, the people driving these test cars are driving them hard and torturing them. No tears. But seats are obviously dirty.

I'm not worried about the white seats myself. I also know that if they turn out to be a problem, that Tesla will make it right.
See post@ Perforated seats durability? - Page 6

Elon has said that white seats are the most stain resistant. And best all around seat.

Screenshot_2016-02-28-11-51-43.png

Elon's tweet "Best not to have vented seats w kids though" could be interpreted as acknowledging that the vented seat material can be damaged more easily than the non-vented. There have been a few posts on TMC about tears in the vented seat material.
Elon also acknowledged this and tweeted they would be getting a stronger backing material. Even hinted that those already delivered would be retrofitted.

Can the ultra-white interior be configured without the premium package, and hence without the perforated seats? I ask because only the black headliner is valid in combination with the white interior for color matching reasons, and I believe the black headliner is only available with the premium package? If that is the case, the white interior cannot be had without the perforations. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Elon's tweet "Best not to have vented seats w kids though" could be interpreted as acknowledging that the vented seat material can be damaged more easily than the non-vented. There have been a few posts on TMC about tears in the vented seat material.
I'd think the bigger issue would be with drinks spilling on the seats (which adults could do just as easily as kids). The perforations allow spills to get into the seat whereas the solid seats can be wiped up easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Can the ultra-white interior be configured without the premium package, and hence without the perforated seats? I ask because only the black headliner is valid in combination with the white interior for color matching reasons, and I believe the black headliner is only available with the premium package? If that is the case, the white interior cannot be had without the perforations. What am I missing?

Model S requires the premium package for black headliner, but Model X does not have a similar restriction. Therefore, you can order white interior (with black headliner) without the premium package.

It may be different now, but when I configured nearly 2 months ago, the white seats were only available with the black headliner - regardless of other options. Signature models could choose black or white headliner. Personally I dislike the white seats with the white headliner, because the white headliner clashes, IMO, as it's not truly white. I also think the light headliner looks odd when used with the all black leather seating, but a lot of people seem to like it. All subjective, of course. I also don't like white bezels on my phones and tablets or whatnot...

I've had my X90DL for a couple weeks, Blue with White Interior. The seats are some of the softest I've sat in. I haven't had any major spills or incidents yet, however, the interior door handle is white and I saw some black marks (possibly just oily dirty hands) and used a towel with some warm water and it wiped off.

I could imagine if something gets caught in the perforated seats, it could tear quite easily as the material is very soft.

Model X 2.JPG

I've had my X90DL for a couple weeks, Blue with White Interior. The seats are some of the softest I've sat in. I haven't had any major spills or incidents yet, however, the interior door handle is white and I saw some black marks (possibly just oily dirty hands) and used a towel with some warm water and it wiped off.

I could imagine if something gets caught in the perforated seats, it could tear quite easily as the material is very soft.

View attachment 113278
Beautiful car! Have you noticed any dye transfer from clothing to the seat?

So not selecting premium package mean non-perforated white seats. I assume the material still is the same with stain resistant coating (from my read of the design studio). Has anyone taken delivery of an X without the premium package ?