Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on winter tires / wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a 2021 model S with 4,500 miles and it has the 21" wheels. I assume I will need to change these out in the winter to drive in the snow. Does anyone recommend what wheels/tires would be good to purchase as a second set and to ensure that the TPS system still works??

Yes it's the refreshed model. When you say get 19" I need to get actual "Tesla" OEM wheels so that the TPS system works? In other words, can I just buy some after market wheels and tires? Second question, could I just put all season tires on the 21" wheels so I don't need to deal with this 2x per year? And thank you for the response!

Upvote 0
You don't need to buy those wheels for the TPMS, you can just buy some TPMS from Tesla then fit them to a different set of wheels. It depends how much you want to spend and what your priorities are. If you would prefer a nicer looking wheel there are a lot of options, just make sure there are winter tire choices for the size wheel you want. If you don't mind paying a bit of a premium for the Tesla winter 19s and don't mind the look of them and want less hassle, go for those.

Upvote 0
Yes it's the refreshed model. When you say get 19" I need to get actual "Tesla" OEM wheels so that the TPS system works? In other words, can I just buy some after market wheels and tires? Second question, could I just put all season tires on the 21" wheels so I don't need to deal with this 2x per year? And thank you for the response!
you dont need to get actual tesla oem wheels, TPS will go into most 3rd party wheels that aren't oddly design, and yes i would recommend getting 3rd party wheels as more choices and options are available

As for second question, depends on where you live as in the snow lvl and how harsh the winter is. If just light snow all winter round, mostly driving on slightly wet/snow covered roads, All Season tires will work; however, on 21" you will feel alot of the uneven surface due to snow, ice debris, making an uncomfortable ride.

For me, I got the 19" aero from tesla on my s plaid, knowing that i need to swap those tire out for winter in Canada, and when summer comes I will get a new sets of 3rd party 20" wheels and tires. In the long run, I think getting 2 sets separately is the way to deal with the harsh winter here. As for you, you need to think about all the road conditions where you are driving before deciding which options are best.

Upvote 0
Ok thank you all. I'm in Cleveland so yes the winters can get pretty brutal. I love the look of the 21" wheels and I hate the hassle of swapping wheels out but if that's the consensus - two sets, I'll go that route. I did hear that bluetooth is the new TPS technology so buying the Tesla TPMS can attach to any wheel?

Upvote 0
Ok thank you all. I'm in Cleveland so yes the winters can get pretty brutal. I love the look of the 21" wheels and I hate the hassle of swapping wheels out but if that's the consensus - two sets, I'll go that route. I did hear that bluetooth is the new TPS technology so buying the Tesla TPMS can attach to any wheel?
Yes, buy TPS from Tesla and bring it to the installer on whatever 3rd party wheels you decides on for them to attach it onto the rim, fit most of the wheels out there. If you decides on winter sets (wheel + tire) for safety as top priority, go for a square setup (4 wheels same size) for tire rotations later as an option, for even thread wear couple of winters down the road.

Looks something like this from T-sportline : common square set up for 2021-S , these are pretty good setup specs wise, though 19" x 9.5" at the back with 35mm offset looks a little narrow for my taste, but its winter, look isnt top priority I assume.

* If you want to get your own 3rd party wheels, follow those specifications in terms of PCD bolt pattern, Offset(if you are getting 9.5" width), CB value, stick to those and you will fe fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tesla is out of stock on the 19" wheels. I found this website www.tsportiline.com and 19" wheels and tires is $4K does that seem like a lot? I was a little sticker shocked by that.

Upvote 0
Tesla is out of stock on the 19" wheels. I found this website www.tsportiline.com and 19" wheels and tires is $4K does that seem like a lot? I was a little sticker shocked by that.

Seems reasonable to me. I just ordered wheels from them for my first winter with the Model S. So far so good but haven’t driven on them, just mounted and balanced.

Upvote 0
Tsportline is a premium aftermarket wheel company so is priced accordingly. Go to tirerack and discount tires and price out winter pkgs with cheaper wheels. They both carry TPMS as well.
Could also check classifieds here and Craigslist for stock 19” Tesla wheels.

Upvote 0
Ok so sounds like the best approach is to bite the bullet on spending $4K on the Tesla 19" wheels and tire package? Happy to spend that kind of money just don't want to be a fool. Last question. Why wouldn't I just buy the set from Tesla that are $2,750? What am I missing? Model S 19" Tempest Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Spending 4k on 3rd party wheel mostly for the look tbh, but look isnt priority in winter, for me i think the 19" Tempest Aero from Tesla is fine with the wheel cap on for winter is probably better anyway.

Upvote 0
Ok so sounds like the best approach is to bite the bullet on spending $4K on the Tesla 19" wheels and tire package? Happy to spend that kind of money just don't want to be a fool. Last question. Why wouldn't I just buy the set from Tesla that are $2,750? What am I missing? Model S 19" Tempest Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Bummer, I would have gone that route. They were out of stock for a few days a couple weeks ago when I looked. Looks like a good option.

Upvote 0
Hi Kevin - I am also on the west side of Cleveland and have same car. Looking to get winter tires too, but drove without them last winter, but was an easy winter here. Have you tried the local Discount Tire in Avon? They always seems to do a good job and I am going to ask them, unless Tesla gets their winter sports package in stock again soon. However, I do like Michelin X-Ice and have never tried the Pirelli that Tesla offers.

Upvote 0