Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question re fob-less driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I initially got my first S it did not have the ability to trigger homelink via GPS location, as well as I don't think the earliest MS triggered the suspension changes via speed or location either, but the hardware was all there and all it took was the software.

With that said, doesn't the current Model S and X have everything to enable key fob-less driving like the 3 with a paired phone and mobile based app? I am not talking about the NFC sensor in the B pillar, and using the keycard. It just seems that there is an authentication component to pairing the phone with the car as well as with the app on the phone that with some tweaks this functionality could be similarly enabled with software when it is within bluetooth range on current S and X. What does everyone think?

Thanks

The NFC/BT component authentication component is what separates the S/X from the 3. The app provides you with the ability to unlock and start your car but the method of authentication is different. The 3 uses NFC/BT to pass an authentication token which is why in order to unlock and drive your 3 the app must be running and the vehicle selected needs to be the 3, if not it wont work. The app authenticates to the server/mothership upon opening of the app, and your device passes authentication via NFC/BT to your car as long as the app is open/authenticated.

The S/X uses the app to communicate with the server/mothership with each request so for unlocking, and for keyless driving and authentication is made with each request. Therefore, if you are in a place where the car cannot receive a LTE or WiFi signal you are NOT going to be able to get in or drive. So never go keyless if you will be in an underground parking garage...you will get stuck!

Correct me if I am wrong, it is only using the NFC component for when the card is held up to the B pillar, with the backup NFC key card. I believe for the phone it is only using BT for the authentication with the phone. Not every phone has NFC, and from what I understand the 3 is unlocking when the phone is within BT range. I know of multiple people complaining of their cars unlocking from too far a distance, such as in their garage when they are in their house, well beyond the range of NFC. I hope that is the case, if it were, that would be able to be enacted with software.

Thinking that they couldn’t do it reminds me of the debate years ago that the S was going to be unable to display rear backup line in reverse because it did not have a video card which was capable to do that. Ultimately we got a software update and there were the previously thought impossible backup lines.