Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question re: FSD Beta feature parity with public build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if many folks here have access to the limited Beta of the upcoming FSD capability update, but I have seen many videos showing it off none of which appear to answer this question:

On the current public build, if I am toodling along the surface streets on Autopilot, I can use the turn signal for an automated lane change at will just like on the highways. I have never seen this demonstrated to be functional on the Beta build in any of the videos I've seen covering it. Is this functionality still available?

Relatedly, I am curious as to whether when not on a plotted route, if you are at (or approaching) an intersection, you can use the turning signal to tell the car to take the next left or right? I suspect not, but the idea popped into my head just now and thought I would ask :)

Yes you can change lanes with a turn signal press. Most people watching the videos don't want us interfering which is probably why you haven't seen it :)

You cannot tell the car to take or right or left turn with a signal press at this time.
When I use the Autopilot, I know what to expect of the car in most standard cases because the system's operation is highly reproducible. How reproducible is the FSD Beta in navigating certain standard situation? Will it always turn in the same lane? Will it always slow down for a pedestrian under the same conditions as a few days ago? I would greatly appreciate your input on this as it can help to decide on pressing the long-promised button when it becomes available in future updates. Thank you.

When I use the Autopilot, I know what to expect of the car in most standard cases because the system's operation is highly reproducible. How reproducible is the FSD Beta in navigating certain standard situation? Will it always turn in the same lane? Will it always slow down for a pedestrian under the same conditions as a few days ago? I would greatly appreciate your input on this as it can help to decide on pressing the long-promised button when it becomes available in future updates. Thank you.
I talk about that more in this video if you have time:

But overall what you're saying is my biggest warning for a wider release. Beta will do what it wants when it wants, whether it's the right move or not. It is much more "free," not needing to follow the lines as closely and will approach the same situation multiple different ways.

With that said, if hands are ON the wheel, the car can't do anything you don't let it do. But even after months of testing, I still get surprised by it occasionally.

With that said, if hands are ON the wheel, the car can't do anything you don't let it do. But even after months of testing, I still get surprised by it occasionally.
I watch people on FSD Beta taking the corner at intersections, they let the wheel slip through their hands rather than hold the wheel and follow hand over hand. When FSD makes a mistake they grab the wheel and attempt to regain control, often wrenching the car back into a safe line or away from the curb/obstacle.

To me that is not being in control, it's reacting and hoping to recover in time. Really the car can put you into danger. So far the videos posted by testers appear to imply everyone has saved it just in time. Fast reactions I guess.