Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question re Ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!

Couple questions:

1. If I place an order for a new model S60 on Nov 19th and ask for a March '17 delivery, will the car be a 2016 or 2017 model year?

2. In same scenario, will the car be built with any new standard equipment/features that come online between now and build date – at no additional cost?

Thank you!

Greetings!

Couple questions:

1. If I place an order for a new model S60 on Nov 19th and ask for a March '17 delivery, will the car be a 2016 or 2017 model year?

2. In same scenario, will the car be built with any new standard equipment/features that come online between now and build date – at no additional cost?

Thank you!

I am far from being the final authority. However, for whatever my opinion is worth, Yes, it will be a 2017 model year car, with all the improvements that will have taken place in the process of manufacturing between now and then. It will be an even better-made car.

That's not true. As long as the car is ordered by 12/31/2016, and is delivered before 4/1/2017, "free" unlimited supercharging will be included.

I'm glad to read this...because according to an email from my OA, "if you order your Model S before the end of this year and take delivery before April 1st, 2017, you'll have unlimited Supercharging for as long as you own your car."

I'm glad to read this...because according to an email from my OA, "if you order your Model S before the end of this year and take delivery before April 1st, 2017, you'll have unlimited Supercharging for as long as you own your car."

I think it's for as long as ANYONE owns the car, which adds even more value to cars bought now because the new owner will get free charging as well-that's my understanding from several conversations with Tesla sales people

Greetings!

Couple questions:

Thank you!

Don't get hung up on the '16 vs '17 logic, things are very different in the Tesla world compared to the legacy auto industry. I know what you are thinking and you are afraid that you will lose a full year of depreciation by taking delivery on a late '16. This is not really the case with these cars, anything can happen at anytime because the vehicle is constantly being refined and enhanced all year long. It's more about the features, etc. and not necessarily the mileage and year model.

Reactions: Chaz
Greetings!

Couple questions:

Thank you!
Welcome to the family!

Just as @theslimshadyist mentioned, as far as the car is concerned it goes through multiple changes throughout the calendar year and does not necessarily equate to the traditional model year. For DMV/registration purposes, it will be the "model year" of the year it was produced/delivered.

You will also get whatever is currently available when your new MS is produced at the price of when you ordered it. I originally ordered in March 2016 (pre-face-lift and pre-price increase) for a December delivery. So I got all the new base-level upgrades but at the March 2016 pricing. As long as you do not make any changes to your configuration, they will honor the price at the time of your order.

Good luck!

And by ordering today, you save $2k on the base price. Assuming this is why you are doing this, and I feel it is a fantastic move. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I did not already have a base Model S.
Assuming you'Ve already used someone's referral code for another $1k.