Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question re rebates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Southern California Edison has started offering a $500 rebate per charger if we remain on the same meter (for installation labor) and up to $1500 if SCE installs a second meter for EV charging. At present, the per KwH rate is the same for both, but of course this could change. Any thoughts on why the higher rebate would be offered? I assume there's nothing benevolent about it.
Richard

Southern California Edison has started offering a $500 rebate per charger if we remain on the same meter (for installation labor) and up to $1500 if SCE installs a second meter for EV charging. At present, the per KwH rate is the same for both, but of course this could change. Any thoughts on why the higher rebate would be offered? I assume there's nothing benevolent about it.
Richard

I suspect the reason to go to a second meter setup would be to do time of use charging just for the EV's so you would shift the EV load into the nighttime hours. They recognize that this kind of install is super expensive and so they are trying to help you defer the costs for it?

Just a guess...

Yes, larger rebate because of the cost of a 2nd meter. I'm probably gonna apply for the $500 rebate, but not until I get my powerwall installed so that I can avoid the $. 48/kWh peak. Note that for the full rebate you have to stay on a TOU rate plan for 2 years

SCE Rebate requires moving to a TOU tariff for 2 years. I'm not sure which tariffs you are comparing, but they aren't really the same.

$1500 Rebate:
2nd Meter cost more to install, but you benefit by going to TOU-EV-1 (EV only). Off peak is $.13/kWh, On peak is $.37/kWh (summer) or $.24/kWh (winter). I believe you can leave the rest of house on regular Tier rate, and still get the rebate.

$500 Rebate:
With the other TOU tariffs (single meter, House + EV), net cost will be different depending on your consumption and if you generate (solar?). TOU-D-A/B looks most attractive for EV charging, since it offers a Super Off-Peak rate $.12/kWh.

SCE Rebate requires moving to a TOU tariff for 2 years. I'm not sure which tariffs you are comparing, but they aren't really the same.

$1500 Rebate:
2nd Meter cost more to install, but you benefit by going to TOU-EV-1 (EV only). Off peak is $.13/kWh, On peak is $.37/kWh (summer) or $.24/kWh (winter). I believe you can leave the rest of house on regular Tier rate, and still get the rebate.

$500 Rebate:
With the other TOU tariffs (single meter, House + EV), net cost will be different depending on your consumption and if you generate (solar?). TOU-D-A/B looks most attractive for EV charging, since it offers a Super Off-Peak rate $.12/kWh.
Hey Stickers,

Picking up my ride soon.
I see a SCE’s Clean Fuel Rebate amount is $450 .
is there any other rebate most EV owner qualified for?
I don't want to do the two meters.
The time of usage (TOU) stuff. In looking at the rate. Not sure if that is something I want.
Currently on the summer program. I think it call DSP.
Is their any other rebate I might be missing out?

Hey Stickers,

Picking up my ride soon.
I see a SCE’s Clean Fuel Rebate amount is $450 .
is there any other rebate most EV owner qualified for?
I don't want to do the two meters.
The time of usage (TOU) stuff. In looking at the rate. Not sure if that is something I want.
Currently on the summer program. I think it call DSP.
Is their any other rebate I might be missing out?

For the car
SCE clean fuel rebate $450
California CVRP $2500 (income qualifications apply)
& Federal tax Credit $7500

For the Charger/installation
This thread topic ($500/1500)
AQMD charger rebate $250

• Informative
Reactions: forkee
Hi, I have an additional question in regard to the $500 vs $1500 rebate. Say if I am also interested in adding solar panels to my house sometimes early next year (but not necessary Tesla's Powerwall). Which rebate/installation would make more economic sense for me?

Thanks!

Hi, I have an additional question in regard to the $500 vs $1500 rebate. Say if I am also interested in adding solar panels to my house sometimes early next year (but not necessary Tesla's Powerwall). Which rebate/installation would make more economic sense for me?

Thanks!

First, does an EV Charger install require a panel upgrade? You're in a beach community, most older homes aren't sized with panels that have a spare 40-60 Amps of space. If that was the case, I'd wait to upgrade the panel when solar is done, so you can claim the solar investment tax credit.

First, does an EV Charger install require a panel upgrade? You're in a beach community, most older homes aren't sized with panels that have a spare 40-60 Amps of space. If that was the case, I'd wait to upgrade the panel when solar is done, so you can claim the solar investment tax credit.

I am not sure but I don't think I needed a panel upgrade. The electrician who did an estimate did mention that I would need a separate breaker though. My house ampacity is 200amp and my current load is about 70amp.

Thanks for getting back to me!