Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: Rear Screen audio in the 2021 Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New member here so excuse me if this is answered elsewhere. Couldn't find it.

I just took delivery of my 2021 Model S LR. I'm hugely pleased with it but I'm confused about one small thing. I thought I read somewhere that the rear screen, which I am hoping can medicate my small children, connects to bluetooth for audio. I envisioned the kids with bluetooth headphones on, watching their dinosaurs and dragons, without my wife and I having to listen to it. But I cannot for the life of me find anything on this. It simply seems like they can watch Netflix while it plays over the main speakers. Which entirely defeats the purpose. I'd revert to an iPad if that's the case. Anyone know anything about this?

It would be great if you can mirror the display too to ease credential input for the supported apps like Netflix Et Al. Even better would be an iOS plug in for Car play. Add BT and you have a real multi user infotainment system. Right now the rear infotainment system is essentially useless. Can’t even choose media from a source in the back seat. Great for power distribution and environmental controls.

It would be great if you can mirror the display too to ease credential input for the supported apps like Netflix Et Al. Even better would be an iOS plug in for Car play. Add BT and you have a real multi user infotainment system. Right now the rear infotainment system is essentially useless. Can’t even choose media from a source in the back seat. Great for power distribution and environmental controls.

Yep, the software in these cars needs such a massive overhaul. It's really bad...

Wow, so audio through the speakers is the only option for rear screen streaming/entertainment? That really does defeat the purpose, so much less useful than just loading up ipads with games/shows and giving the kids individual headphones.

The Mercedes EQS actually comes with bluetooth headphones for the rear screen, I think. Cmon Tesla you can do better.

Reactions: bllydia
Wow, so audio through the speakers is the only option for rear screen streaming/entertainment? That really does defeat the purpose, so much less useful than just loading up ipads with games/shows and giving the kids individual headphones.

The Mercedes EQS actually comes with bluetooth headphones for the rear screen, I think. Cmon Tesla you can do better.
I guess at this stage we don't know if the hardware in the car is capable of solving this.

I guess at this stage we don't know if the hardware in the car is capable of solving this.
My guess is that it should be, given that everything is software controlled/enabled, but I don't know how high up this is in terms of priority for them. Or anything, for that matter, given that demand is so far ahead of supply right now. Seems that they just prioritize random stuff that Elon wants, like more games, goat sounds for the horn, etc. It took Elon being cornered at a presentation to commit to nav waypoints, for example, which was one of the most requested features for years.

My guess is that it should be, given that everything is software controlled/enabled, but I don't know how high up this is in terms of priority for them. Or anything, for that matter, given that demand is so far ahead of supply right now. Seems that they just prioritize random stuff that Elon wants, like more games, goat sounds for the horn, etc. It took Elon being cornered at a presentation to commit to nav waypoints, for example, which was one of the most requested features for years.
I would certainly hope it should be there, but whether it is is anyone's guess. It's more than just software to allow BT headphones in the rear.

It is a tad bit frustrating seeing the video of the talented Tesla software engineers working nights and weekends to bring the programmable light show to the cars. Cute but I suspect 99% of people with a job and family will not have time to use it. In contrast, how much effort would it take those geniuses to enable the rear screen and bluetooth??

just hard to understand their priorities...

It is a tad bit frustrating seeing the video of the talented Tesla software engineers working nights and weekends to bring the programmable light show to the cars. Cute but I suspect 99% of people with a job and family will not have time to use it. In contrast, how much effort would it take those geniuses to enable the rear screen and bluetooth??

just hard to understand their priorities...

Yeah...Tesla has an amazing engineering culture and what they've managed to do in the last few years is stunning. But their product and design prioritization still seems to be mostly based on what Elon thinks would be cool, rather than what customers are asking for and/or biggest pain points. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the roadmap meetings, if they even have such things.

Reactions: robert774
Yeah...Tesla has an amazing engineering culture and what they've managed to do in the last few years is stunning. But their product and design prioritization still seems to be mostly based on what Elon thinks would be cool, rather than what customers are asking for and/or biggest pain points. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the roadmap meetings, if they even have such things.
Lots of speculation on Tesla's software priorities...
I'll add mine:
Tesla recently announced that it will have programmable exterior lights on its cars to meet the light requirements of different jurisdictions. That way they can build all of their cars with the same programmable lights and then just set their operation to the local laws. The light show functionality is just a bonus "easter egg" from this change.

Lots of speculation on Tesla's software priorities...
I'll add mine:
Tesla recently announced that it will have programmable exterior lights on its cars to meet the light requirements of different jurisdictions. That way they can build all of their cars with the same programmable lights and then just set their operation to the local laws. The light show functionality is just a bonus "easter egg" from this change.
And that's valid, but before moving on to new lights, how about they provide the functionality that we already paid for and was advertised with the announcement of this car?

• Love
Reactions: KOL2000
OMG - I didn't realize there was no separate audio for the back screen on the S. We pick up next week. I spend at least an hour every day driving my kid to daycare. If I have to listen to Baby Shark, Cocomelon or Do you want to build a snowman one more time in the car I am going to scream.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. Anyone from Tesla reading this thread, PLEASE fix it soon.

Reactions: mspohr and KOL2000
OMG - I didn't realize there was no separate audio for the back screen on the S. We pick up next week. I spend at least an hour every day driving my kid to daycare. If I have to listen to Baby Shark, Cocomelon or Do you want to build a snowman one more time in the car I am going to scream.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. Anyone from Tesla reading this thread, PLEASE fix it soon.
Well it's been this way since they introduced the plaid back in June, so I wouldn't expect them to fix it anytime soon