Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question Regarding AP vs FSD vs Beta FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, my wife recorded roughly ten minutes of boring video of my steering wheel not asking to be touched during freeway travel, which you can find here.

To avoid the tedious watching, which is mostly sideways, here is the conclusion.

My M3 does indeed have a steering wheel nag - it occurs at ten minute intervals. I had incorrectly assumed there was no nag at all, but it turns out that I always have my hands on the wheel or am adjusting my music volume within any given ten-minute timespan. If inattention to the wheel isn't ten minutes long it doesn't trigger the nag.

This ten-minute nag period also applies to surface streets.

My car originally had a 20 or 30-second nag interval. I don't know exactly when this changed to ten minutes since I habitually have my hands on the wheel (like you should), but I noticed it months ago on a long drive.​

My car originally had a 20 or 30-second nag interval. I don't know exactly when this changed to ten minutes since I habitually have my hands on the wheel (like you should), but I noticed it months ago on a long drive.
I'm not going to watch 10 minutes of you driving, but I suspect that since you (correctly) have you hands on the wheel, you might be providing enough force feedback to tell the car you are there.

If you can drive for 10 minutes without your hand on the wheel and get just the one nag, something is wrong with your car.

I'm not going to watch 10 minutes of you driving, but I suspect that since you (correctly) have you hands on the wheel, you might be providing enough force feedback to tell the car you are there.

If you can drive for 10 minutes without your hand on the wheel and get just the one nag, something is wrong with your car.
In the video, my hands never touch the wheel - that is the point. The nag happens after ten minutes of this.

I'll give you $10 zillion dollars for it right now! Don't update the software or perform any resets, it may fix itself.
Drop it in my PayPal account and we have a deal. I did just install the latest software update this morning, but I expect no change in the nag interval. So you’re tellIng me you still have to reset the timer every 30 seconds or so?

everyone but you has to do that, at least as far as we can tell.
I find that difficult to believe. We should do a poll.

I can’t think of any plausible hardware or software malfunction that would be unique to my car that would consistently alter my nag interval from ~30 seconds to 10 minutes. A complete nag failure in either direction is more likely, or a varying-interval failure. But not simply a 20-fold interval increase failure.

We all get the same software updates, don’t we? My ten-minute nag has been in place for at least 8 update cycles. Ten minutes also seems designed, whereas 6.8 minutes (or some such random time) would suggest something else. All other car functionality seems unaffected. I get the same obstacle and lane departure warnings, the occasional phantom braking, functional TACC, lane change prompts, proper left & right scroll wheel actions, intersection pass through with permission - all of it. Yet there is this isolated “failure”?

Both this being an an isolated, happy failure, and this being the only car exhibiting this behavior seem unlikely to me. So, ???

Last edited:
My ten-minute nag has been in place for at least 8 update cycles.

yes, you car is broken/not operating correctly.

Potentially dangerously depending on what else might be impacted by whatever is broken.

Opening a service ticket with Tesla might be a safe move.

You've been told this repeatedly by multiple people but refuse to accept it for some weird reason despite everyone else telling you the same thing.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I find that difficult to believe. We should do a poll.

I can’t think of any plausible hardware or software malfunction that would be unique to my car that would consistently alter my nag interval from ~30 seconds to 10 minutes. A complete nag failure in either direction is more likely, or a varying-interval failure. But not simply a 20-fold interval increase failure.

We all get the same software updates, don’t we? My ten-minute nag has been in place for at least 8 update cycles. Ten minutes also seems designed, whereas 6.8 minutes (or some such random time) would suggest something else. All other car functionality seems unaffected. I get the same obstacle and lane departure warnings, the occasional phantom braking, functional TACC, lane change prompts, proper left & right scroll wheel actions, intersection pass through with permission - all of it. Yet there is this isolated “failure”?

Both this being an an isolated, happy failure, and this being the only car exhibiting this behavior seem unlikely to me. So, ???

Its much easier to believe you have a problem with your car, than the fact that there are hundreds of people driving teslas who dont have to put their hands on the wheel for 10 minutes, and not talking about it somewhere online.

With the clientele of the many tesla buyers, this would be all over every tesla blog, if it was a thing. You have mentioned this several times, and provided video, and all the video shows to me (and many others) is that your car is not working properly, because no one else has been able to replicate your situation.

I am not saying you dont have it, I am saying no one else can replicated it, which means there is "something" wrong with your car, which is far more likely than everyone else who tested this and DOESNT get your results having something wrong with all of our cars.

But hey, you seem to like it being in that situation, even though no one knows what else is "different" about how your car is setup. Maybe you have some engineering flag set on your car or something. I absolutely would have RUN to a service center to report it, because it isnt correct, and I would not have used NOA or even autopilot until someone from telsa told me (on a work order) that my car was working as intended. You dont seem to want to do that, and thats fine, its your car, but if it was "normal" the rest of us would be able to replicate it, and we cant.

I appreciate your input and concern. Honestly, I do. Let me ask everyone this question.

If you noticed that your car was now consistently getting better than 180 Wh/mi efficiency and over 400 miles range on a full charge with normal driving, would you immediately take it into Tesla to see what was wrong?

I appreciate your input and concern. Honestly, I do. Let me ask everyone this question.

If you noticed that your car was now consistently getting better than 180 Wh/mi efficiency and over 400 miles range on a full charge with normal driving, would you immediately take it into Tesla to see what was wrong?

If every other Tesla on the road was getting numbers nothing like mine? Of course I would. There's something not working correctly, and it could potentially cause a serious issue at any time.

If you're comfortable driving a malfunctioning car because you're magically confident the malfunction is ONLY positive though, that's your call.

That is no where near the same thing as "the system that is designed to ensure people are paying attention to actually driving when they get in the car, rather than trusting a sytem that is not self driving, isnt working"

The thing about driving is you have the ability to impact not only yourself with your actions or non actions, but others as well. Lots of people dont care about anything other than their own convenience or comfort, and if you were driving by yourself in the middle of a corn field, that would be fine, but you arent.

If every other Tesla on the road was getting numbers nothing like mine? Of course I would. There's something not working correctly, and it could potentially cause a serious issue at any time.

If you're comfortable driving a malfunctioning car because you're magically confident the malfunction is ONLY positive though, that's your call.
By that logic you shouldn’t be using autopilot at all, because we all know and experience phantom braking. That is clearly a malfunction in the self-driving and who knows what other dangers lurk within?

But we all (well, most of us) use autopilot anyway, confident that this bug doesn’t lead to others unseen.

A nag that happens every ten minutes instead of every 30 seconds is no danger at all. It’s to remind me to pay attention, which I already am, which is why I didn’t even notice the error (if it is one) because I regularly had my hands on the wheel anyway.

I’ll drive (like most everyone) with the autopilot malfunction and take care to not trust it too much. I’ll do the same with the long nag.

That is no where near the same thing as "the system that is designed to ensure people are paying attention to actually driving when they get in the car, rather than trusting a sytem that is not self driving, isnt working"

The thing about driving is you have the ability to impact not only yourself with your actions or non actions, but others as well. Lots of people dont care about anything other than their own convenience or comfort, and if you were driving by yourself in the middle of a corn field, that would be fine, but you arent.
But it IS the same as the phantom braking malfunction I mentioned in the post above. Yet we still use autopilot.

But it IS the same as the phantom braking malfunction I mentioned in the post above. Yet we still use autopilot.
No it's not the same.

With the phantom braking (which really decreased with the 2020.44.X updates), it is a known issue, repeatable by many. The only consequence is a rapid deacceleration.

Your car (and seemingly your car ONLY) has a malfunction with a SAFETY system in the vehicle. If it were my car, I wouldn't be enjoying the lack of nag; I would have long ago made a service appointment to get the car looked at. This is NOT a good thing - THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR.

You've had many people tell you the exact same thing, but for some reason you chose to continue to be oblivious.

No it's not the same.

With the phantom braking (which really decreased with the 2020.44.X updates), it is a known issue, repeatable by many. The only consequence is a rapid deacceleration.

Your car (and seemingly your car ONLY) has a malfunction with a SAFETY system in the vehicle. If it were my car, I wouldn't be enjoying the lack of nag; I would have long ago made a service appointment to get the car looked at. This is NOT a good thing - THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR.

You've had many people tell you the exact same thing, but for some reason you chose to continue to be oblivious.
So you’re saying lack of a nag is a safety concern but phantom braking isn’t? Sorry, just because a malfunction is widespread doesn’t make it safer. If you have phantom braking, there is something wrong with your car. It isn’t supposed to do that.

I agree there is something ‘wrong’ with my car. I don’t agree that it is a cause for alarm - certainly less so than phantom braking, which is a known safety issue.

So you’re saying lack of a nag is a safety concern but phantom braking isn’t? Sorry, just because a malfunction is widespread doesn’t make it safer. If you have phantom braking, there is something wrong with your car. It isn’t supposed to do that.

I agree there is something ‘wrong’ with my car. I don’t agree that it is a cause for alarm - certainly less so than phantom braking, which is a known safety issue.

I think you have firmly established that you dont care. Repeating this statement is not going to change the mind of anyone who believes its a safety issue. I personally put this in the same category as the people who go out of their way to defeat the nag other ways... except this is worse, because at least their car is working properly where we have no idea what the software is or isnt doing in yours.

There are plenty of people who use nag defeating devices so you are certainly not alone in that fact.

You are not driving anywhere near where I am, though, so its really more an issue for those whom you are driving around (and with, like your wife). For me, its just forum chatter.

just because a malfunction is widespread doesn’t make it safer.
Just because a malfunction isn't widespread doesn't make it safer either. I hear what you are saying, and I think most of us would prefer a 10 min nag vs a 30 second nag, so you have us beat there. But the point is, something is not working correctly and that could mean other things aren't working correctly as well. You can take the risk to keep it the way you have it (honestly, many would probably keep it if they didn't know any better) but it's at the risk of those riding in your car, weather that be family, friends or co-workers. It's about you vs all the others that could be impacted.