Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question Regarding AP vs FSD vs Beta FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So current AP obviously only works on freeway and the blue light starts flashing after approx 20 seconds and after 30 sec's you get red lights to take control which is bit annoying....so with FSD when does the blue light start flashing?..if it still 20 seconds?...longer?...never?...what about FSD beta obviously this version is used on freeway and streets but do you get the warning blue flashing lights after a certain time?...never???...thx.

I just sold M3AWD LR and waiting for my M3P with FSD to come in.

I have never seen these lights you are talking about. I am going to ask what I feel is a somewhat silly question but I am going to ask it anyway. Are you putting / keeping your hands on the steering wheel, and providing some torque to the steering wheel, or are you attempting to drive without touching the steering wheel?

So current AP obviously only works on freeway and the blue light starts flashing after approx 20 seconds and after 30 sec's you get red lights to take control which is bit annoying....so with FSD when does the blue light start flashing?..if it still 20 seconds?...longer?...never?...what about FSD beta obviously this version is used on freeway and streets but do you get the warning blue flashing lights after a certain time?...never???...thx.

I just sold M3AWD LR and waiting for my M3P with FSD to come in.
Still the same. Until the car has fsd capabilities it will always require you to have your hands on the wheel.
The FSD you bought is a software package, a promise to deliver FSD capabilities when they arrive.

Reactions: jsmay311
I have never seen these lights you are talking about. I am going to ask what I feel is a somewhat silly question but I am going to ask it anyway. Are you putting / keeping your hands on the steering wheel, and providing some torque to the steering wheel, or are you attempting to drive without touching the steering wheel?

You have seriously never seen the flashing blue lights!?...wow...thats like saying you have never driven more than 5 miles over the speed limit lol...needless to say, I am not expecting to be chosen for a FSD beta tester ...:)...hoping FSD is activated for everyone in 3-4 months.

You have seriously never seen the flashing blue lights!?...wow...thats like saying you have never driven more than 5 miles over the speed limit lol...needless to say, I am not expecting to be chosen for a FSD beta tester ...:)...hoping FSD is activated for everyone in 3-4 months.

I also have no idea what you are talking about, but reading the other post it seems like you are not keeping your hands on the wheel. I never thought I would say this, but you are using it wrong.

You can technically use AP anywhere, it just doesn't work well when not on a divided highway.

Still the same. Until the car has fsd capabilities it will always require you to have your hands on the wheel.
The FSD you bought is a software package, a promise to deliver FSD capabilities when they arrive.

Maybe you are confusing the OP. The term "FSD" is vague at this time. It refers to various levels and types of automation. Most of us are happy driving with an autopilot system that handles tiring low level tasks, while retaining supervisory driver engagement. The current blue flashes are a brute force way to remind you to keep a hand on the wheel when things get difficult, and that won't change with street level NOA, that we see being called "FSD Beta".
What you're calling "fsd" is "level 5" automation in which no supervision is required at all, on any route, and that's never yet been achieved on planet Earth. We don't know everything.

This isn't all on Tesla. Level 5 100% autonomy may never be fully accepted/achieved without some changes in road layouts, markings and "manual" driver (mis)behavior. Given the advantages of automation, it's entirely plausible that lesser roads will be gradually adapted to meet the coming generation of vehicles half-way.

Last edited:
I don’t know which update took away the hands-on-the-wheel nag every 30 seconds or so, but it has been months. I can post a video of me not touching the steering wheel for any arbitrary length of time while on autopilot, but that would be the most boring video ever.

I don’t know which update took away the hands-on-the-wheel nag every 30 seconds or so, but it has been months. I can post a video of me not touching the steering wheel for any arbitrary length of time while on autopilot, but that would be the most boring video ever.

The behavior you describe is not correct, normal, or expected.

No update removed the nag- something is wrong with your car compared to how it's intended to work.

It might be great for you subjectively, but it might also cause one to wonder what else is the system doing incorrectly you're not aware of as a result of whatever is causing the unintended behavior you are aware of.

Reactions: jsmay311

Yes, please post the video. Some of the "nags" are for situations when the system needs human intervention. For example it suddenly can't tell what lane to be in or where the lanes are. If you are not getting the instant "Take over immediately" warning I would be concerned.

Maybe it's the sweat buildup on one side of the wheel? ;)

But normally it depends on the route. It demands more proof of hand on wheel in more critical situations.
Prior to COVID, when my commute home was largely stop and go, I could go for well over a minute without a nag, so it seemed to be partially dependent on velocity (or maybe the timer resets every time the car comes to a halt?). Not sure if that’s still the case, since COVID has temporarily fixed our traffic problems, but going 60-70 mph, I now seem to get nagged about every 20 seconds.

And while I do keep my hands on the wheel, sometimes when they’re at 3 and 9 o’clock, the torque balances out and I get the nag.

Trolls, trolls, baby trolls...

ankle weights with Velcro might work. Dangerous as h&$l but tempting...

It might be great for you subjectively, but it might also cause one to wonder what else is the system doing incorrectly you're not aware of as a result of whatever is causing the unintended behavior you are aware of.
I do get the “take over immediately” warning as well as the lane departure warning when they’re appropriate. The car still freaks out when (in autopilot) a car crosses its path too far ahead to be a danger. Everything is normal, just no nag.

Trolls, trolls, baby trolls...

ankle weights with Velcro might work. Dangerous as h&$l but tempting...
I’ll post the most boring video ever when I get a chance to get out on the interstate and safely film the steering wheel while in autopilot for an extended period of time. It won’t sway flat-earthers, but it will be plain to everyone else that my car behaves as I said it does.

Everything is normal, just no nag.
Except it is NOT normal. It is a safety measure that is not working as it should be. If you get no nag warnings, without any of the normal acceptable confirmations (wheel torque, adjusting any of the controls on the steering wheel or post) or dangerous overrides (typically weights on the steering wheel), then your car has a problem. While one might think they've hit the jackpot (not having to confirm), I would get this checked out by Tesla as there may be more (potentially very unsafe) problems.