Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding Buying a Privately Owned Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to get out from under my Lincoln ATM and when that happens I will purchase a used Tesla Model S for my first electric car.

I have heard stories in the past that buying used Tesla's that aren't "Certified" by Tesla can result in having the ability to use supercharging stations turned off for the car (possibly other things).

Is there any truth to this? Is buying Certified from Tesla the only way to go?

Thank you for your help

Welcome to the Tesla community. Simple answer is no, as I purchased my first 2012 Model S from the original owner and the free lifetime Supercharging passed to me (and again to its third owner, Amy, who bought it from me). Like any used car purchase, do all your proper due diligence and ask lots of questions and request records. Transferable lifetime Supercharging ended sometime around early 2017 (I think), but all Teslas built before then still have the transferable perk. A key exception is any salvage Tesla, which you should steer clear of buying for many reasons. Prices have fallen drastically for early Model S (especially pre-Auto Pilot that was born around Oct 2014)...low $30k for an amazing vehicle. Make sure it’s an 85 kWh battery (60 kWh will obviously have less range and not much savings). Good luck!

Certified" by Tesla can result in having the ability to use supercharging stations turned off for the car (possibly other things).
I believe this refers to salvage title only ..if u buy a car that has free supercharging that is transferable u should be fine ..typically these are cars with <~1/17 build date

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Welcome.

Do yourself a favor and search around this forum as there is TONS of info. Some of it is minor but much of it will be priceless where you are in the process. Invest hours in learning the ins and outs before attempting to buy a used Tesla and you will be very glad you did.

Buying direct from Tesla has it's pros and it's cons. When reading threads you will find common complaints that are rather alarming. Make sure you understand what buying a used car from Tesla is and isn't and decide if it's for you. I've done it three times now and all three were nightmareish experiences and placed 1st, 2nd & 3rd for my worst car buying experiences of my life punctuated with owning the best cars I've ever owned. Quite the roller coaster ride that's not for everyone.

To your direct question: All Model S/X manufactured prior to January of 2017 come with free Supecharging for life that transfers with the car from owner to owner free of charge and with nothing required to transfer. It's attached to the car. Some cars that have been in serious accidents where a branded title has been the result will have this disabled largely for safety reasons. There's lots that can go wrong when you're throwing such high amounts of electrons into a battery pack under occupants feet so I get the reasoning and feel that some overreact to this downgrade.

In your time reading here you will also find several check-lists of what to look for and what to test when buying a used Tesla and making sure it Supercharges is almost always on that list. If you've done your homework properly on that particular car prior to this point this test should only be confirming what you already know anyway.

Good luck with the search for a car and be sure to use the search function of this forum for any and all questions you have. It's can be a scary rabbit hole in which you're about to embark but with the info already contained within this forum it'll be much less daunting.

Clean (non-salvage title) and Tesla will still support you.

As others have said, depending on the year free supercharging may or may not transfer. I don't ever supercharge, so not a big deal to me either way.

One thing not mentioned that I see... If you purchase from an individual, it is possible to add the extended warranty. If you purchase from a non-tesla dealer they will not allow the service plan to be purchased.

I'll add my two cents. I purchased mine thru a private sale and the car had the CPO warranty and it transferred with no problem and no transfer fee. Cars bought thru a dealer will not transfer an existing CPO warranty. The remaining factory bumper to bumper/battery-drivetrain warranty will transfer if still in effect.

Some points and opinions to consider:
I would only buy used private party, never from a dealer
I would never post my car for sale on this forum since it is acceptable and embraced to comment and criticize
Free supercharging is not nearly as valuable as it seems.

Some points and opinions to consider:
I would only buy used private party, never from a dealer
I would never post my car for sale on this forum since it is acceptable and embraced to comment and criticize
Free supercharging is not nearly as valuable as it seems.

This point drives me absolutely insane. This is one of the few vehicle forums I've been on where OT posts are allowed and OP's aren't required to list a price. This makes for a very, very, VERY unwelcoming marketplace community that will ultimately drive the resale value of these cars down when people who have zero interest in the cars are allowed to ridicule anyone who isn't selling their car for the cheapest price at that moment in time. This has a larger affect on the secondary market than some will admit but from a community standpoint the site staff here really needs to nip this massive oversight in the bud. It's out of control and easily remedied.

Reactions: harry and dirkbike1
First there is no such thing as a Tesla certified used car.

As others have mentioned buying from Tesla can be a night mare. Do, much so that I cancelled my order out of frustration and purchased elsewhere. But price is usually competitive and the used car warranty is essentially a new 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on cars less than 4 years old and less than 50,000 miles.

Free supercharing is nice but I think overrated unless you are a true road warrior. I supercharge only while traveling. But while traveling I usually stay at motels with Tesla destination chargers. Free charging overnight no free supercharing required. Otherwise I charge overnight at home.

I'd buy the car you like from wherever you find it. Tesla, private party or dealer. I purchased from dealer. Since the car only 10,586 miles I have almost as much warranty as a Tesla direct purchase.

I bought a Model S private party and was very happy with the experience. No surprises, plenty of pictures and information.

I did write a special clause into the bill of sale we both signed that covers this. I wanted it “stated officially” that the previous owner believed the car was fully supported by Tesla and that supercharging and warranty should be in effect. I can PM it to you if you want. That way, if there was a problem, you have a signed document and no bunny fussiness...

Use CPO Hunter to get the best deal directly from Tesla. Right now the inventory is low and the price is a little high but three weeks ago I was able to save about 6000 and they gave me top dollar for my trade-in as well. The only downside is the timing was a little off and the car was not perfect but considering I saved so much money the experience was spectacular and you will get the Tesla Warranty!

To your direct question: All Model S/X manufactured prior to January of 2017 come with free Supecharging for life that transfers with the car from owner to owner free of charge and with nothing required to transfer. It's attached to the car.

OK, I'm also new to Teslas, and have been doing much research, and this forum is a huge help.

So maybe I'm mistaken, or it is a technicality that everybody should know, but aren't there Base Teslas (40kw) and some 60kw models that declined the supercharging option when it was purchased?