Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding default Tint Percentages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also check to see what your tint laws are in California. You may not be able to match while still complying with the laws.

You cant... (and comply with the law, anyway).

Legal tint here is 0 on windshield, and 0 on front driver and passenger. Well on the windshield, you are allowed whatever comes from the factory, and a strip along the top of the windshield... forget how big that strip can be but I havent seen anyone with just that strip on windshield tinted in quite a few years.

Any rear windows (such as behind b pillar drivers and passenger windows, and rear window glass), can be as dark as limo tint.

With that being said, I (and many many many MANY) others, choose to tint the front windows anyway. Windshield is touchier as the local law enforcement typically will get you for that, unless they cant see it (like my front window at 70% 3m crystalline).

I have 40% side windows (both front and back) and 30% back window.. but the back window is a different brand tint so they all basically appear the same % tint.

You cant... (and comply with the law, anyway).

Legal tint here is 0 on windshield, and 0 on front driver and passenger. Well on the windshield, you are allowed whatever comes from the factory, and a strip along the top of the windshield... forget how big that strip can be but I havent seen anyone with just that strip on windshield tinted in quite a few years.

Any rear windows (such as behind b pillar drivers and passenger windows, and rear window glass), can be as dark as limo tint.

With that being said, I (and many many many MANY) others, choose to tint the front windows anyway. Windshield is touchier as the local law enforcement typically will get you for that, unless they cant see it (like my front window at 70% 3m crystalline).

I have 40% side windows (both front and back) and 30% back window.. but the back window is a different brand tint so they all basically appear the same % tint.

...incorrect..driver and passenger is allowable..windshield is allowable with medical exemption..

• Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
  • Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows.
  • Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
  • Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

...incorrect..driver and passenger is allowable..windshield is allowable with medical exemption..

• Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
  • Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows.
  • Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
  • Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

88% (or 70) is basically not tinted (or visibly tinted anyway). I have 70% on my windshield and it is not perceptible to being tinted... so while 88 or 70% may be allowed, that is basically not visibly tinted. So I am sure you are correct with that information, but no tint that anyone would really want to put on is not allowed.

88% (or 70) is basically not tinted (or visibly tinted anyway). I have 70% on my windshield and it is not perceptible to being tinted... so while 88 or 70% may be allowed, that is basically not visibly tinted. So I am sure you are correct with that information, but no tint that anyone would really want to put on is not allowed.
...the guy who did my tint had 20 percent on all his side windows and maybe 60% on his windshield..i told him he was asking for a ticket but then again he mark up on tint is so high he can deal with the fix it ticket and put it back on..

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78

If you really believe that 70% is 'no tint that anyone would really want to put on', then then why did you get it?

I have 70% on front windshield and it makes a huge difference to no tint both in terms of heat and glare. You can definitely tell it's tinted against an untinted windshield - whenever I am at a supercharger lined up with other M3s which aren't tinted, my windshield looks significantly darker.

If you really believe that 70% is 'no tint that anyone would really want to put on', then then why did you get it?

I have 70% on front windshield and it makes a huge difference to no tint both in terms of heat and glare. You can definitely tell it's tinted against an untinted windshield - whenever I am at a supercharger lined up with other M3s which aren't tinted, my windshield looks significantly darker.

I got it put on for heat rejection on the front windshield. If thats your model 3 in your picture, do you have your side windows tinted? If so, thats likely why your font window looks darker (less light in the cabin relative to those other cars coming from the sides.... unless you have just your front window tinted without tint anywhere else?

I got it put on for heat rejection on the front windshield. If thats your model 3 in your picture, do you have your side windows tinted? If so, thats likely why your font window looks darker (less light in the cabin relative to those other cars coming from the sides.... unless you have just your front window tinted without tint anywhere else?

My apologies, I stand corrected. I just checked my invoice and turns out I have 50% on the windshield. I do have the side windows tinted as well which does make the cabin overall darker and cooler. Didn't tint the back window because I didn't feel the need.

I had 35% done all the way around, including 1-piece on the large back glass. I have an early production car, so I was one of the very first in my region to have this car. So it was difficult to find a tint shop that was comfortable doing the job. But I'm happy with the way it turned out in terms of quality of installation, and I'm very happy with the 35% level I chose.

The level of darkness makes the car look great and cuts down on heat injection, but it's not so dark to attract attention from the police. In my area, having any tint on the front door windows is illegal, but I've never had a problem so far.

I found this on the net, where someone tinted up to the 1st defroster line. It's not half bad! I wonder if going with a slightly lighter tint and dropping the line a bit would look even better.

DYf8xDNUMAAMSIm.jpg