Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding the wireless car transmitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The title might a little confusing, but we wanted the AM radio function, thus my father ordered a "wireless car transmitter". It looks like this. However, it did not connect to the car at all, yet with my phone it connected effortlessly. Do you have any idea why our Model 3 refuses connecting to other devices? Thank you.

The title might a little confusing, but we wanted the AM radio function, thus my father ordered a "wireless car transmitter". It looks like this. However, it did not connect to the car at all, yet with my phone it connected effortlessly. Do you have any idea why our Model 3 refuses connecting to other devices? Thank you.

If it connects via regular bluetooth, it seems like it would work.

Upvote 0
The device you referenced doesn’t connect to the car via Bluetooth, it connects to your phone via Bluetooth and transmits the phone output to your car via FM radio. You don’t need a device for that, because you can already connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth. I think you might have misunderstood what this device does. If you disagree, please elaborate.

Upvote 0
transmits the phone output to your car via FM radio
Yep - I had one back in the day with my beater that had no Bluetooth. This pictured device gets around that limitation by acting as a bluetooth interface that then 'narrowcasts' to an unused FM Band.
What the OP seems to be looking for is an AM Radio that connects via Bluetooth, as the Tesla has no other easy way to input an external device like a line-in via mini plug.
Not sure how that might be accomplished with hardware, but there is likely an App (either Android or Apple) that can make your phone behave like an AM radio.

Upvote 0
Almost every radio station out there has an app or website where you can stream their signal. Just bring it up on the phone and stream that to the Tesla.
Alternately, built in TuneIn on the car already has a lot of stations.

Remember that one reason Teslas don't have AM receivers because the car generates a fair amount of low frequency RF noise that can interfere. I'd try a good old AM radio with a speaker in the car before trying to figure out a fancy solution.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
Upvote 0