Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question... SR AWD? Is it going to be an option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Debating with myself on whether or not to put my order in now or wait.

Doing all the math, factoring in sales tax, credits, etc... my options end up being a $5800 difference.
Tesla M3 price compare

Based on this, I'm leaning towards waiting. It's not an affordability thing but a value thing since my commute is very short and I rarely do road trips where the LR would make much difference.

That said, In the estimator SR with AWD is no longer listed as a future options. Just SR RWD. Has their been any official word? That would change my decision and prompt me to order today.

I'm in the same boat as you. I want SR AWD.....$55k to buy LR AWD now, and be almost guaranteed a $7500 federal tax credit, or $46K for the SR and maybe get a $3750 tax credit. This makes after tax savings $47,500 on LR and $42,250 for SR (a $5000 difference)

Is LR battery worth it for $5k, probably, now if you are considering EAP or FSD, then maybe the $5k might ge better spent on EAP rather than larger battery since this is what makes Tesla very unique.

Reactions: JPUConn
Is LR battery worth it for $5k, probably, now if you are considering EAP or FSD, then maybe the $5k might ge better spent on EAP rather than larger battery since this is what makes Tesla very unique.

Not dissagreeing that I use EAP more often than I need the larger battery but curious why you think EAP is what makes Tesla unique? There are plenty of manufacturers that have some version of auto pilot on the market yet how many out there that have the same EV range (and battery sizes) as Tesla?

Two arguments I would make in favor of going with LR - a) LR will have a higher residual value than EAP and b) you can always upgrade to EAP later yet locked in to battery size.

I would say it's better to get the LR as your getting to utilize the full $7500. Also you will recoup more when you do plan to sell the 3 in the event you want to upgrade to a new model down the line. Plus you will get to enjoy the car much sooner then an unannounced car. Best time to own a Tesla is always going to be the present.

I'm in the same boat as you. I want SR AWD.....$55k to buy LR AWD now, and be almost guaranteed a $7500 federal tax credit, or $46K for the SR and maybe get a $3750 tax credit. This makes after tax savings $47,500 on LR and $42,250 for SR (a $5000 difference)

My commute being short and not including any freeway makes it so EAP isn't really any benefit to me.

Again my question at this point is IF SR AWD is coming.

Yes it will come but not until 2019.

I was tempted to wait for SR AWD and non premium interior but pulled the trigger on LR AWD, Premium, EAP.

As with anything Tesla I’ll be cranky but understanding when the 3 gets a heated steering wheel, pano roof, and air suspension, more so if it’s at the same price.

Yes, it's still coming. In the configurator source code is a car designated MT301 which is almost certainly Model 3 SR AWD based on the range, top speed, and 0-60mph times.

Source code extracted by Reddit user damieng...

{"range":220,"units":"imperial","top_speed":130,"selected_by":{"and":["$MT300"]},"zero_to_road_limit":5.6}{"range":215,"units":"imperial","top_speed":130,"selected_by":{"and":["$MT301"]},"zero_to_road_limit":5.1}{"range":310,"units":"imperial","top_speed":140,"selected_by":{"and":["$MT302"]},"zero_to_road_limit":5.1}{"range":310,"units":"imperial","top_speed":145,"selected_by":{"and":["$MT303"]},"zero_to_road_limit":4.5}{"range":310,"units":"imperial","top_speed":155,"selected_by":{"and":["$MT304"]},"zero_to_road_limit":3.5}

r/teslamotors - Model 3 all versions range & acceleration chart

• Informative
I was in the same boat. Short commute, wanted the SR AWD...but I just felt like it was getting further and further away - without any guarantee that variant was coming. I think it will eventually, and I've seen the chart on reddit, but who knows if that info is outdated (like they didn't update that part of the code) or something. So I ended up pulling the trigger on LR AWD. I guess I need to work on my patience. ;)