Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question - Tesla inverter super charged heat dissipation design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a rather technical engineering question
Any comments explaining the opposite design are welcome

I had solaredge earlier and at around 99 percent efficiency , its is completely passively cooled
I think it has no wholes/vents for air to flow freely outside, its a completely enclosed case

In other words, at the 1% inefficiency , heat generated is very very less. ( If we assume all inefficiency is converted into heat)

Now the Tesla inverter is completely opposite , could not be further apart in terms of heat dissipation design
With water cooling, its like a Model S plaid version for heat control and dissipation
In addition to water cooling, it also has fan cooling, and kind of vents on the side of for fan air to bow out hot air

So why at 97% efficiency we do need such a tremendous double system for cooling ?

Questing is 1% vs 3% heat generation is such a big difference??
if you calculate 1% heat generated - solar edge perhaps needs more cooling and open vents...

Picks your sides in design and thermodynamic

Thx

The SE's are all passively cooled with large vertical vein heat sinks in the rear. The difference in cooling between the two is purely engineering and based on the thermal dissipation of the units.

Personally, I think the SE inverters are better engineered for cooling. Less possibility for failure because there's no moving parts for the passive cooling. I could be biased because I have two SE inverters. :)

The SE's are all passively cooled with large vertical vein heat sinks in the rear. The difference in cooling between the two is purely engineering and based on the thermal dissipation of the units.

Personally, I think the SE inverters are better engineered for cooling. Less possibility for failure because there's no moving parts for the passive cooling. I could be biased because I have two SE inverters. :)
Based on the number of issues I read all the time about issues with the tesla inverters, SO glad I also have 2 SE inverters.

Reactions: Flick75
Fans draw on the order of a few watts. A coolant pump is also a few watts (5-10). They aren't contributing much to the source of the efficiency differences.

Small design differences in the choice of components make a big difference in efficiency. For many international locations, heat and dust are big issues, and fanless designs will be much more reliable.(Israel, Australia, India, and much of the Southwest US.) If you start the design assuming no fans, then you will make circuit designs that are more efficient to not have to reject the heat.

All the best,

BG