Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: What am I missing about the headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I can’t find any way of driving at night with the headlights full beam short of keeping the light stalk pulled.
On auto, the lights stay dipped and out of auto they won’t go full up with the stalk forward.
The onscreen manual is unreadable when at night setting - necessarily in the dark to be able to see what the lights are doing - due to its low contrast and tiny font.
Am I missing something?

I can’t find any way of driving at night with the headlights full beam short of keeping the light stalk pulled.
On auto, the lights stay dipped and out of auto they won’t go full up with the stalk forward.
The onscreen manual is unreadable when at night setting - necessarily in the dark to be able to see what the lights are doing - due to its low contrast and tiny font.
Am I missing something?
Do you realize there are two steps to turn on auto high beams? You need to switch the setting in the controls, but then also have the stalk pushed away from you (what (I would call forward, but seems that's opposite of your definition of forward). Is that possibly what's happening causing high beams to actually not go on automatically?

If that's not it, then another approach based upon my experience with my mid-2016 MS is to turn off auto high beams. You then can push the stalk away from you and the high beams should go on and stay there. The stalk with click and stay in the position pushed away from you until you manually pull it back, switching off the high beams.

I realize this defeats the purpose of having the high beam in auto mode, but if you do not find they autoswitching to be working for you, this should allow you to go back to a manual functionality.

Auto high beams is only engaged with the light stalk pushed into the High Beam position -- forward, toward the car front. You will see a headlight icon with and "A" on it in the top portion of the dashboard display. You also need to select to enable auto high beams in the "Lighting" part of the control panel. If you don't want auto high beams, turn it off in the control panel to manually use the stalk to switch between high and low beams.

Do you realize there are two steps to turn on auto high beams? You need to switch the setting in the controls, but then also have the stalk pushed away from you (what (I would call forward, but seems that's opposite of your definition of forward). Is that possibly what's happening causing high beams to actually not go on automatically?

If that's not it, then another approach based upon my experience with my mid-2016 MS is to turn off auto high beams. You then can push the stalk away from you and the high beams should go on and stay there. The stalk with click and stay in the position pushed away from you until you manually pull it back, switching off the high beams.

I realize this defeats the purpose of having the high beam in auto mode, but if you do not find they autoswitching to be working for you, this should allow you to go back to a manual functionality.
That’s my issue - in auto the high beam doesn’t come on: period. Doesn’t matter where the stalk is. I can force it on by pulling as if flashing another car and keeping it pulled but that’s no answer.
Another poster has said that I have to go into manual to be able to put them up and down - but I see the setting goes to auto every drive. Another example of a poor user interface I think.