Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question, why is chrome delete so expensive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@shdooby did you ever consider get the OEM 19' and then getting them powder coated matte black? I am still deciding what I want to do with regards to wheels. I think for me, the 18s are the smart plan but I am really wanting/liking the 19" sport wheels and then just get them powder coated that way I do not have to worry about finding a place to swap them out and putting winter wheels on (my service center said they will not touch after market wheels). The T-Sportlines look sweet too, especially the matte black, but if I got the OEM 19s, I could save some money too. I don't know...still got some time to think about it.
I went with the 19" OEM and ordered the Tsportline 18" TST's in Matte Black for my winter wheels. I plan to have the 19s powder coated in Matte black when the winters go on. I'm thinking of Plasti-dipping the window trim and possibly the Tesla badges. I'm hoping I can wrap the door handles in a matching red if someone offers pre-cut vinyl.

Reactions: pkalhan
No, didn’t consider the OEM 19s. I really like the look of the TSTs and I don’t have to deal with winter wheels.

There is nothing special or challenging about swapping the wheels. I have changed them myself and any reputable wheel/tire place can easily change them for you as well for not much money I would imagine.

I went with the 19" OEM and ordered the Tsportline 18" TST's in Matte Black for my winter wheels. I plan to have the 19s powder coated in Matte black when the winters go on. I'm thinking of Plasti-dipping the window trim and possibly the Tesla badges. I'm hoping I can wrap the door handles in a matching red if someone offers pre-cut vinyl.
I plasti-dipped my model S trim originally. Looked good, but it is hard to get the texture perfect. And after a few months, especiallu if you aren’t careful when washing, it started to peel in some places. Perhaps if someone who was fantastic a dipping (a professional) did it it might hold up longer. But I ended up getting it wrapped in vinyl and almost 3 years later it still looks fantastic. I would personally recommend spending some $$ to get the trip wrapped instead of dipping it.

For some parts though you can do it yourself with pre-cut vinyl pieces. RPMTesla makes good stuff. Here is a link to Model 3 door handle wrap, including red. RPM Tesla

I’ve ordered many parts from them for both my S and my 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
I plasti-dipped my model S trim originally. Looked good, but it is hard to get the texture perfect. And after a few months, especiallu if you aren’t careful when washing, it started to peel in some places. Perhaps if someone who was fantastic a dipping (a professional) did it it might hold up longer. But I ended up getting it wrapped in vinyl and almost 3 years later it still looks fantastic. I would personally recommend spending some $$ to get the trip wrapped instead of dipping it.

For some parts though you can do it yourself with pre-cut vinyl pieces. RPMTesla makes good stuff. Here is a link to Model 3 door handle wrap, including red. RPM Tesla

I’ve ordered many parts from them for both my S and my 3.
Thanks for the letting me know your experience with plasti-dip. I wondered about the longevity. From what I've read it does pretty well if you do enough coats but it doesn't sound like I should go that route. I figured it would be a problem on the door handles since they take a beating but I thought I might get by on the trim where it doesn't get much wear. I was planning on using RPM's vinyl for the turn signal/side camera in either black or carbon fiber. I don't think their red matches as I bought a sample of the sane 3M Red and it was a lighter color.

Thanks for the letting me know your experience with plasti-dip. I wondered about the longevity. From what I've read it does pretty well if you do enough coats but it doesn't sound like I should go that route. I figured it would be a problem on the door handles since they take a beating but I thought I might get by on the trim where it doesn't get much wear. I was planning on using RPM's vinyl for the turn signal/side camera in either black or carbon fiber. I don't think their red matches as I bought a sample of the sane 3M Red and it was a lighter color.

If it's peeling off in the months timeframe, most likely the surface wasn't cleaned well, or there was water in the seams. If you're handy and your other DIY projects tend to turn out well, I'm pretty sure your Plastidip results will be great.

I wrote a pretty detailed post on how to chrome delete with plastidip a while back (with a focus around Model 3 door handles):
CHROME DELETE

If you follow those instructions, it will last years. I've dipped trim and wheels, and they survive New England winter sand and salt no problem. Wheels take more of a beating than door handles ever will.

Took my installer half the time just doing the mirrors which are apparently a bitch to do. I do think these $500+ estimates are pretty ridiculous, despite being a four hour job. Should cost $300-400.

This sounds about right. Also, Around South Florida, it's more like $650+ which is even more mind boggling. Finally, I'm not buying that tinting is easier. Maybe the middle part of the side windows but definitely not edges and the level of difficulty is significantly higher on the back window.

Not a model 3, but it's midnight silver with chrome deleted. looks pretty good to me.

69271b2b0df14d54e1808832931d50d2.jpg
I like the crome delete but I'm not a fan of the red T accents. Don't think that would look good on a TM3 either