TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Question: Will Tesla replace damaged wing mirrors free of charge?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Fab-fours, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fab-fours

Fab-fours Member

Now that the safety geeks at Tesla have disabled our wing mirrors from folding, (accept below 10MPH) can anyone tell me if, in the event of them being damaged by oncoming traffic being driven in narrow country lanes here in UK/ Europe, will Tesla replace these expensive damaged mirrors (see my earlier text: - Wing Mirror Warning!) free of charge?

• Disagree x 6
    • Funny x 3
  2. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

I would say close to almost no chance. That's what insurance is for, accidents like that are not a manufacturers fault.

• Like x 1
  3. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Having exterior side mirrors folded in while driving may even violate local/national laws. So if that is the case, Tesla is just following the law by requiring them to be extended while the car is in motion.

• Like x 2
  4. run-the-joules

If you drop your laptop, does Apple or Lenovo or whoever repair it under warranty? No. That's not what warranty is for.

5. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

This seems a little big brother to me. If Tesla needs to comply with any laws, then automatically unfolding them should suffice. If my judgment is to fold them, let me. Obviously, I could do this with manual ones....

6. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Yes you must have mirros to drive so Tesla cant allow you to fold them. I am sure you can still manually fold them if you try!

7. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

No

8. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

What an odd concept! If a Tesla employee was driving the car when damaged, perhaps, yes. If you are unable to drive it with sufficient care so as not to hit something, that becomes your responsibility, or if someone hits you, their responsibility. In no case is it Tesla's responsibility for such an issue about which you had complete awareness beforehand.

9. Fab-fours

Fab-fours Member

Thanks for your replies.

I'm unaware of the laws in the US, but here in the UK when driving in the many narrow streets where parked cars make passing a hazard, or when passing cars in narrow country lanes an equally difficult manoeuvre, we're lawfully able to fold-in our wing mirrors.

I'm hoping that Tesla Europe having been previously allowed us to enjoy this facility, will restore this BRILLIANT feature! If only we had the big wide roads you have in the USo_O

10. cizUK

cizUK Member

Just don't get the premium package

11. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

So these are roads through which a model S won't fit?

12. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

If you are driving somewhere where it is so narrow that you need to fold your mirrors in so that you don't hit something with them then should probably not be going more than 10mph anyway.

• Like x 5
  13. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

That's precisely what I was thinking.

14. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Have you toured Europe? Some city roads are not much wider than US sidewalks! Not to mention hotel rooms the size of our walk in closets!

15. derekmw

derekmw Member

Maybe I'm being ignorant here, but if it's really THAT tight of a spot to get through, would you be going more than 10mph? Sounds like it's not a problem in that case as the mirrors will allow you to fold them in at under 10mph. I can't see going over 10mph to squeeze through such a tight spot.

16. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

Answer: no.