Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questionable Bodyshop treatment of battery!!??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be asking Tesla if this is one of their approved body shops as they claim. If Tesla say no, then there are more questions to ask the insurer and trading standards.

If they say yes, then there are questions to ask Tesla.

I’ll happily name the garage, and provide extracts from all the absolute nonsense they’ve sent me once I’ve got my car back and accepted it as being in as-new condition.

More comms from them this evening saying they still have no eta on the parts but will update me next week if they get an eta. Not an hour later a phone call from a manager at the insurance company who’s been told by the garage the parts are arriving tomorrow. The first person I’ve spoken to (apart from you guys) who actually questioned the whole situation - even to the point of suggesting without any prompting whatsoever “it looks like they’re trying to hide something”

Current theory is they may well be Tesla approved but not following correct procedures for enacting the repairs, or looking after batteries. Just happens that their complacency has led to them being caught out this time. Manager was VERY interested in the fact that the garage stores vehicles unattended and unlocked even when there are no staff on site.

I also think making you sign out of the app is dodgy.
Maybe yes, maybe no. A lot of shops will disconnect the high voltage under the frunk to reduce battery drain and disconnect the 12v battery while they do repairs, which of course means you won't be able to connect to the car with ANY app.
Just like when Tesla disconnects you from using the app while in service mode, I am not surprised by this method. If I were repairing a car, I would not want the owner trying to do things with the car while in my possession.

My apologies, I am clearly in pissed-off-Friday-night-lockdown-and-I’ve-had-enough-of-this-COVID-crap mode ;)
thanks, no apologies needed. I probably should have been more clear about my comment. Yes, I would be really upset from everything I've read about this event.

OP, Best of luck on getting things moving along. Let us know why they let the battery drop to zero.... assuming it wasn't a mis-reporting from your app not updating the status.

I’ll happily name the garage, and provide extracts from all the absolute nonsense they’ve sent me once I’ve got my car back and accepted it as being in as-new condition.

More comms from them this evening saying they still have no eta on the parts but will update me next week if they get an eta. Not an hour later a phone call from a manager at the insurance company who’s been told by the garage the parts are arriving tomorrow. The first person I’ve spoken to (apart from you guys) who actually questioned the whole situation - even to the point of suggesting without any prompting whatsoever “it looks like they’re trying to hide something”

Current theory is they may well be Tesla approved but not following correct procedures for enacting the repairs, or looking after batteries. Just happens that their complacency has led to them being caught out this time. Manager was VERY interested in the fact that the garage stores vehicles unattended and unlocked even when there are no staff on site.

I think even if the car is perfect when you get it back you need to confirm with Tesla they havent voided the warranty on the battery.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I've had several more calls from the Insurance company over the last few days - interesting each of which repeats a new and mostly contradictory set of information from the previous one.
Latest on Friday was that the parts that were on an unknown delivery date (and I received an email from the bodyshop saying so on Thursday) had arrived, but the ANC was still convinced that the garage had done nothing wrong. ANC claims they are the biggest Tesla repair bodyshop in the UK, and couldn't explain it when I asked why they weren't listed on the Tesla website or why Tesla staff in a reasonably close SC didn't know anything about them.
Checked with Tesla Saturday, and all faults had been removed by 1130am Friday morning, the car sat locked up and with an extrapolated range that would suggest at least some level of degradation.
I got a text from Tesla yesterday to say that the car had been booked in to an SC - doesn't say what for on the app, but seems that the garage is starting to listen to what I've been saying (directly and/or through the insurance company)
Cue the latest BS from the garage this afternoon - repairs are 'nearly finished, and when they are we'll take it to an SC, but it will be a delay before you get the car back due to the distance involved'
Funny how on Saturday morning Tesla could see that they'd been for a 10 mile drive in the car on Friday afternoon - which, if repairs hadn't been completed would mean that they drove the car on the public highway without a front bumper or numberplate.

So positives - the car is being inspected by Tesla tomorrow morning - hopefully I'll be able to see on the app what if anything they find. Insurance company is now starting to switch on to the fact that something is not quite right.
Negatives, the bodyshop is still lying through their teeth, trying to cover their backsides.

Will be interesting to see what they've done since Monday 1125 when they switched Service Mode on, when I get the data from Tesla!

Fascinating tale, one that I wouldn’t wish on myself.
Thank you for keeping us updated, this is being very informative (I hate that they removed the “informative” tag from posts)
On mobile, long press the like button to see helpful/informative etc. Non-mobile, hover over the like button to see the additional options.

What a story! Really disappointed with your insurance provider although I bet that every insurance company would do the same (ie find the cheapest place to get the repairs done). After you collect your car would you be kind enough to share the details of the garage in question so if God forbid we need a garage we know which one to avoid?