Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questionable Range Loss in 24hrs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an interesting situation.... I charge my 2013 Model S85 on a daily basis to the "normal" ~90% or charge (or whatever the slider for daily puts it at... So on Wednesday morning I had 224 miles of rated range. I get into the car on Thursday morning after charging at night and it shows 200 miles of rated range. First thoughts are that my battery lost a bank of cells and would explain the reduced range. Called Tesla Service and was recommended to do a full range charge. Having done this, I get 224 miles of rated range on 100% charge and looks like I will be back at 200 miles of rated range when battery reaches 90%. Needless to say I doubt the 20 miles of range loss with no obvious reason (pre-conditioning and cabin overheat are both off) is just due to cell unbalance. I have an appointment for next week, but fear that these are the signs of an imminent failure of the pack or associated electronics. Any thoughts from the folks on the forum? Thanks in advance.

Mike
VIN #5284

Sorry to see that. They're continually improving the cars, including the batteries, so I expect that you shouldn't have this issue with the new pack if they determine that's what your car needs.

Many people are seeing minimal (e.g. 3%) to no degradation in their Teslas. The liquid battery cooling + maximum charge setting at or below 90% really help.

I had the same problem with my '13 P85. Dropped around 30 miles of range within a few days. Called Tesla and they did remote diag on it and said the battery had some errors stored and set up an appointment for me to drop off at Tesla service. They ended up replacing the pack with a new one, under warranty of course. For reference, my car had around 55k on it when this happened.

I have an appointment for next week, but fear that these are the signs of an imminent failure of the pack or associated electronics. Any thoughts from the folks on the forum?

Thoughts are that something failed in your pack and that it will be repaired/replaced under warranty. It shouldn't really be something to fear unless your car has a salvage title and no warranty.