Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about a 2014 model S P85+ for sale

Qan2510

Apr 15, 2021
Coral Springs, FL
Moderator note: Edited thread title so it doesn't look so much like a "for sale" ad.

I am looking at a used Tesla today 2014 Model S with 41k miles on it for $30,000

I drive around 380 miles a week for work. what questions should I ask about this vehicle when I get to the dealership?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

dmwahl

Mar 12, 2021
Verona, WI
Probably too late for the OP but for posterity Rich Rebuilds has a nice quick video on things to look for buying a used Tesla

Battery/drive units are the big cost things to ask about though, although by 2014 I think they're pretty good(?).

Reactions: rickyjb

seclinton

May 25, 2015
Newark, CA
Owner of a 2014 P85+. Paid $39k out the door $42 in 2018; just out of warranty now, bought with IIRC 48k miles. Out the door needed new drive unit due to noise but they declined to replace it at first, 6 months later, refurb drive unit. I've had door handle failures, tail light failure, and just this week bubbles in display 3 months after upgrading to LTE. Battery health still good and charges to 245miles. Had to pay to replace failing sunroof gasket at IIRC $700; nothing on this car is cheap to replace/repair, out the door always >$500. Driver display failure replaced under warranty. Suspension compressor failure leaked so I was always in low rider mode. That was fixed under warranty. Ohh and the carbon fiber spoiler has seen better days, so I replaced with OEM look alike real CF from RPMTesla. Aside from Tires, $700 for the sunroof gasket, $2k for MCU w/radio upgrade. But if not for warranty in first two years used, DU would have been some $4.5-5.5k; suffered a break in broken window; cheap replacement wouldn't align, so Tesla dinged me for like $350 or so. Go ahead and buy it, then drive for a week or two. Then make service appointment and get all that bugs fixed. That's what I did. Now the car is just my daily driver til my 12 year old son turns 16, then he gets it. Maybe with a paint respray and new battery if needed.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC