Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about a 2014 model S P85+ for sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Edited thread title so it doesn't look so much like a "for sale" ad.

I am looking at a used Tesla today 2014 Model S with 41k miles on it for $30,000

I drive around 380 miles a week for work. what questions should I ask about this vehicle when I get to the dealership?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably too late for the OP but for posterity Rich Rebuilds has a nice quick video on things to look for buying a used Tesla

Battery/drive units are the big cost things to ask about though, although by 2014 I think they're pretty good(?).

Reactions: rickyjb
Owner of a 2014 P85+. Paid $39k out the door $42 in 2018; just out of warranty now, bought with IIRC 48k miles. Out the door needed new drive unit due to noise but they declined to replace it at first, 6 months later, refurb drive unit. I've had door handle failures, tail light failure, and just this week bubbles in display 3 months after upgrading to LTE. Battery health still good and charges to 245miles. Had to pay to replace failing sunroof gasket at IIRC $700; nothing on this car is cheap to replace/repair, out the door always >$500. Driver display failure replaced under warranty. Suspension compressor failure leaked so I was always in low rider mode. That was fixed under warranty. Ohh and the carbon fiber spoiler has seen better days, so I replaced with OEM look alike real CF from RPMTesla. Aside from Tires, $700 for the sunroof gasket, $2k for MCU w/radio upgrade. But if not for warranty in first two years used, DU would have been some $4.5-5.5k; suffered a break in broken window; cheap replacement wouldn't align, so Tesla dinged me for like $350 or so. Go ahead and buy it, then drive for a week or two. Then make service appointment and get all that bugs fixed. That's what I did. Now the car is just my daily driver til my 12 year old son turns 16, then he gets it. Maybe with a paint respray and new battery if needed.