Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about buying a used Model S re: free charging and battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought a Model 3 and love it. To avoid fighting over who gets to drive it we want to sell our 2016 Pilot and get another EV. The Model S has more cargo space but I'm a bit confused now on how the free supercharging works. I gathered all used Model S cars sold by Tesla no longer offer that but how about if I buy from a non-Tesla dealer or private party?

I've run across some info abut battery degradation on the 90D but is this limited to certain model years? Which cars should I avoid?

I'm still in the process of reading prior posts but if someone could offer some quick and easy advice to go by I'd appreciate it. Thx

Tesla has been in trouble for removing supercharging from cars they don't own (third party sales). @Huachipato did you ever get this resolved to your satisfaction? IIRC you were the first on the forum that had FUSC stolen out of your car even though Tesla couldn't legally remove it correct?

Right now I'd recommend avoiding used Teslas overall. A lot of us are being performance and range downgraded without explanation and had to sue tesla to even get them to acknowledge they did it, but they still won't give us back what we paid for. It's guesswork right now trying to estimate how long you will get what you think you're buying before things are taken away. And this is on cars that are under warranty sold to original owners - who knows how they'll treat secondary market buyers.

We bought a Model 3 and love it. To avoid fighting over who gets to drive it we want to sell our 2016 Pilot and get another EV. The Model S has more cargo space but I'm a bit confused now on how the free supercharging works. I gathered all used Model S cars sold by Tesla no longer offer that but how about if I buy from a non-Tesla dealer or private party?

I've run across some info abut battery degradation on the 90D but is this limited to certain model years? Which cars should I avoid?

I'm still in the process of reading prior posts but if someone could offer some quick and easy advice to go by I'd appreciate it. Thx

Free supercharging that transfers with the car is a tough one depending on what years you are looking at and whether the car has been through the Tesla program and had it removed. There was a time when free supercharging was offered, but was not transferrable. If free supercharging is really a requirement, it will be a challenge to verify because the status has been removed from the My Tesla accounts. It used to say "Free unlimited supercharging for the life of the car" which was the transferrable one, but that language has been removed and it just says "free unlimited supercharging".

Battery degradation and or/capped capacity is a potential issue across all older Model S's. A software update this year capped the batteries of some Model S's. You can ask to see a 100% charge range to see where the car you are buying is at.

Reactions: AcesUp
I just charged Tessie up to 100% (long drive tomorrow). The indicated range is 257. As best I can determine, the range for this 2015 P90DL when new was 260. Miles so far: 37,090. Now, I don't know whether this is some kind of computer calculation fault or reality, but it does occasionally charge to 260. And once, maybe a month ago, the range indicator showed 270, which caused me to do a double take in disbelief. You'd think that max range would consistently decline over time with degradation. I don't know what's up with that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
I have a 70D and a good friend has a 70. Both have about 6% degradation at 80k miles. No throttling of charging speed.
Degradation is variable but 3% first year and 1% every year after that is about average.
90's had some issues.
Old 85's have some issues where things are getting capped. It is hard to know if that is an age thing that other cars will go through or if that is a one time thing.
There are some downsides to older cars besides the obvious wear and lack of more modern features. With age, you may have some decreased range and decreased charging speed. Nothing horrible for most but something to consider.
So you won't experience increased engine noise or rougher shifting or the potential repairs of those 2 items but your battery is not quite as good as new.

I have FUSC but proving that to a potential seller would be a trick.

Two years ago I bought a 65k mile P85.
Has needed brakes, TPMS full system ($600) not just sensors, battery heater(they covered) and with 91k on it today I am heading out shortly to pick it up for some front suspension repair to the tune of $1200. Has taken a week though.
Two years ago it charged to 256 from the original 265 software update does seem to have slowed supercharging and capped range to 247 warm 242 cold. I am third owner and FUSC did stick with the car but that is a foolish little thing to put a lot of weight on when shopping

Overall my wife's 2014 Impala at a little more miles has needed less repair but I don't think my S has been terrible, not great but not terrible.

I also spent $800 on 4 year service shortly after I bought it. Brakes I did myself for about $700. Here near Green Bay the salt wrecks them not pad wear.

1. Do your research.
2. Don’t be scared!