Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions About Buying A Used X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
I have been considering buying a Tesla. Initially focused on the MY. I have taken a test drive in the 2020 and 2021 MY models. If I ordered a MY it would be $56K before tax, title, and license. I wonder if I would be getting more car for my money if I purchased a used X? I have had an opportunity to sit in an X and I like the height of the driver's seat. Reminds me of some SUVs and crossovers that we have owned. I have not been able to take a test drive in an X. I have several questions about the X.

Would it be better to purchase an older X with a larger battery or purchase a newer X with a smaller battery?
Is there a model year to avoid?
Is the FUSE based on order date, delivery date, or purchase date?
Are there non Tesla dealers that you would purchase a Tesla from?
Is the D75 model difficult to resale?
How can you determine if the X has the MCU 1 or 2?
Have the Falcon doors been reliable?

Probably will have additional questions at a later time. Thanks in advance for reading and responding to these numerous questions. Thank you for your patience in dealing with a newbie.

And, it depends on your timing. If you're not in a hurry you'll want to wait about 6 months for the new units to come out, the refresh. The price of used model X's will go down precipitously as the supply goes way up.
And I'd bet pricing on used X went sky high upon the earnings call a few weeks ago. Lots of folks waiting for a new X snagged a used X already (including us).

Reactions: henderrj
@Pacernow, I agree that there are a lot of threads with discussions on many of the questions you ask, but sometimes it is hard to sort through and find answers to everything. Please pop back here and ask ones you are having trouble with.

I’ll also throw my 2 cents in. I love my 2017 model X and expect to have it for many more years. But if I were in the market now and faced with the choice of spending the exact same amount on a used X or a new Y, my choice would be the latter. The model Y has newer technology, simpler design with fewer things that can need repairs, a fresh warranty, a fresh battery with likely notably higher range, more efficient….. I think it is a more certain situation.

Reactions: DCGOO and El joe
@Pacernow, I agree that there are a lot of threads with discussions on many of the questions you ask, but sometimes it is hard to sort through and find answers to everything. Please pop back here and ask ones you are having trouble with.

I’ll also throw my 2 cents in. I love my 2017 model X and expect to have it for many more years. But if I were in the market now and faced with the choice of spending the exact same amount on a used X or a new Y, my choice would be the latter. The model Y has newer technology, simpler design with fewer things that can need repairs, a fresh warranty, a fresh battery with likely notably higher range, more efficient….. I think it is a more certain situation.
Kind of my thinking, too. Lots of videos on this as well comparing a new Model Y vs. a used Model X and they agree with you. New tech, better warranty, lots of them dislike the flashiness and issues with the Falcon Wing Doors, etc. I’m leaning towards a Performance Y over a used X.

Some feel that the 2019 Raven package was a significant enhancement. Longer range, smoother suspension, better handling, quicker charging, updated interior etc.

Benefits of the X over Y is the larger battery, quieter interior, smoother ride, panorama windshield, longer range, greater carrying capacity, etc.

Right now, Model X is in tight supply. Prices are firming up and few are available.

Reactions: Pacernow
All,
I have been considering buying a Tesla. Initially focused on the MY. I have taken a test drive in the 2020 and 2021 MY models. If I ordered a MY it would be $56K before tax, title, and license. I wonder if I would be getting more car for my money if I purchased a used X? I have had an opportunity to sit in an X and I like the height of the driver's seat. Reminds me of some SUVs and crossovers that we have owned. I have not been able to take a test drive in an X. I have several questions about the X.

Would it be better to purchase an older X with a larger battery or purchase a newer X with a smaller battery?
Is there a model year to avoid?
Is the FUSE based on order date, delivery date, or purchase date?
Are there non Tesla dealers that you would purchase a Tesla from?
Is the D75 model difficult to resale?
How can you determine if the X has the MCU 1 or 2?
Have the Falcon doors been reliable?

Probably will have additional questions at a later time. Thanks in advance for reading and responding to these numerous questions. Thank you for your patience in dealing with a newbie.
I’m a newbie. I wanted the model x but did not like the changes made with the refresh. By time I was ready to buy I could no longer buy the 2020 model from Tesla the way I wanted it. So the hunt was on. I ended up with a red model x with the 22 inch scorpion zero tires and ultra white interior. It is the long range version. A note here: prior to 2019 the range was less than 300 miles. I did not get the FSD option. Car had 1700 miles and I’m the third owner. Car was originally titled in November 2020. It ended up at a Lexus dealer. Cost $84,000. So far i love car except for some factory body fit issues. Earlier years had lots of falcon door issues with door opening contact wear issues. Those have been pretty much been eliminated. I have also heard of issues with axle vibration. So far nothing. I do keep suspension at low setting which I believe keeps axle geometry in a better position preventing premature axles wear issues. At least that is what the service center recommended. I will say the car is big. Reminds me of a big Escalade or Yukon. For me it works. I only went for 5 seater.

I’m a newbie. I wanted the model x but did not like the changes made with the refresh. By time I was ready to buy I could no longer buy the 2020 model from Tesla the way I wanted it. So the hunt was on. I ended up with a red model x with the 22 inch scorpion zero tires and ultra white interior. It is the long range version. A note here: prior to 2019 the range was less than 300 miles. I did not get the FSD option. Car had 1700 miles and I’m the third owner. Car was originally titled in November 2020. It ended up at a Lexus dealer. Cost $84,000. So far i love car except for some factory body fit issues. Earlier years had lots of falcon door issues with door opening contact wear issues. Those have been pretty much been eliminated. I have also heard of issues with axle vibration. So far nothing. I do keep suspension at low setting which I believe keeps axle geometry in a better position preventing premature axles wear issues. At least that is what the service center recommended. I will say the car is big. Reminds me of a big Escalade or Yukon. For me it works. I only went for 5 seater.
Ps.. While the 22 inch tired look spectacular they do negatively impact mileage. It’s more that Tesla’s quoted 10 miles. I would put it at 27 miled

Newbie here too. I’ll say, a big deciding factor for me was size—the X is wider than the Y, and for me that’s a significant difference, it’s just more comfortable, and the even higher seat helps with that. The X also got (some years) adjustable headrests I believe the Y does not have. MCU 2 showed up in March of 2018, my Feb ‘18 just missed it. It’s worth hunting down, after dealing with MCU 1 for a month now I’ve noticed a huge difference in overall usability vs my wife’s 3 with MCU 2, and that doesn't include the froufrou stuff like video games.

Also, the X can actually tow a useful amount. 😎

All,
Thank you for you replies. The information is extremely helpful. Leaning towards the X. Somewhat surprised with the answers. I thought the consensus would be the X over the Y. I assumed that the X had features that the Y did not have, but the comments about new technology and earier to work on got my attention. Again thank all of you your valuable comments.

@Pacernow Other than the half shaft design defect, the X is near perfect. The panoramic window is amazing. The self presenting (and closing) doors are awesome. If you have stuff in your hands (takeout etc), you never have to juggle to get in the car just walk to the car and it opens, hit the brake pedal while you are setting stuff down and the door is closed. I was worried about the FWD issues when I bought, but they are adaptive and overall work well. The screen real estate between the MCU and the instrument cluster is impressive. I greatly prefer this to the single display in the 3 and Y. The amount of stuff and people you can fit in this car is impressive (I have the 7 seat version). The air suspension does make for a more comfortable ride. Oh and it's fast er :) That said, Y is a great car. You can't really make a bad choice here.