Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about buying in michigan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone give me a detailed process from ordering to having the car in your possession fully registered/plated in Michigan. I am thinking about a model 3 and so I'm trying to get my mind around everything involved in the purchase.

Thanks in advance

You can order the car online at Tesla's website, or give them a call and do it over the phone. They will take your deposit when you order. When they are ready to order parts to build your car they will ask you to configure your car with the options and color that you want. I believe they require half the price to be paid at that time. When your car is ready, tesla requires payment in full before delivery. They will then deliver it to your home or whatever address you specify. The process might be different for the Model III, but I would not expect big changes.

I am sure some of the Michigan owners will respond with their actual experience.

GSP

In Michigan you must provide your own financing from the bank or credit union of your choice. The length of approvals vary by institution, but it is generally 30-60 days. You will need to have them generate a check and get it to Tesla before you are able to take delivery. Thus, you should start the process as soon as you are sure your delivery date will be before the approval expires, and make sure to get the check to Tesla a few days before your scheduled delivery.

I picked up my Model X from the Cleveland store. They gave me the option of delivery, but I wanted the "full experience" so we made a nice overnight trip of it. Ohio has an agreement with Michigan where you pay the Michigan sales tax at delivery. The drive was about 188 miles to home and at a full charge we made it with 30 miles left (heater on, auto pilot 80% of the trip at posted high way speeds). A couple weeks later, I got a package from Tesla with all the documents required for Michigan registration. It took three weeks after filing at the DMV to get my Michigan plate.

I picked up my Model X from the Cleveland store. They gave me the option of delivery, but I wanted the "full experience" so we made a nice overnight trip of it. Ohio has an agreement with Michigan where you pay the Michigan sales tax at delivery. The drive was about 188 miles to home and at a full charge we made it with 30 miles left (heater on, auto pilot 80% of the trip at posted high way speeds). A couple weeks later, I got a package from Tesla with all the documents required for Michigan registration. It took three weeks after filing at the DMV to get my Michigan plate.

I did the same. I picked mine up on January 16th. What Model X configuration did you go with? Where you the Model X my wife saw on in the Birmingham/Royal Oak area last week?

In Michigan you must provide your own financing from the bank or credit union of your choice. The length of approvals vary by institution, but it is generally 30-60 days. You will need to have them generate a check and get it to Tesla before you are able to take delivery. Thus, you should start the process as soon as you are sure your delivery date will be before the approval expires, and make sure to get the check to Tesla a few days before your scheduled delivery.

Tesla lending not an option for Michigan buyers? Is this because of the dealership law or something else?

Tesla lending not an option for Michigan buyers? Is this because of the dealership law or something else?
It looks like Tesla discontinued the Tesla Lending program and now refers people to Alliant Credit Union instead, so this is an option for you. However, they do still have the Tesla Leasing program which is unavailable in Michigan. This could be related to the dealer problems, but it is offered in other states were Tesla is banned from selling so I'm not sure what the reason is.

Did you get an Ohio temp plate for your window? Also is there a difference between paying for it at delivery vs when you register the car in Michigan? I was looking to pick it up in Chicago but I don't think they have the same sales tax agreement with Michigan.

Did you get an Ohio temp plate for your window? Also is there a difference between paying for it at delivery vs when you register the car in Michigan? I was looking to pick it up in Chicago but I don't think they have the same sales tax agreement with Michigan.

I picked my car up in Chicago and paid Michigan sales tax when I took delivery. I was given an IL temp sticker until my packet arrived to take to SOS for registration. If I recall either the purchase agreement or another document that you give to the SOS rep shows you paid tax at delivery, so you will only have to pay for registration.

I picked my car up in Chicago and paid Michigan sales tax when I took delivery. I was given an IL temp sticker until my packet arrived to take to SOS for registration. If I recall either the purchase agreement or another document that you give to the SOS rep shows you paid tax at delivery, so you will only have to pay for registration.

That's great! So Michigan didn't receive any sales tax for the car? That actually makes me really so very happy! Michigan doesn't deserve a single penny of the sales tax with what they are doing.

That's great! So Michigan didn't receive any sales tax for the car? That actually makes me really so very happy! Michigan doesn't deserve a single penny of the sales tax with what they are doing.

Michigan receives sales tax for the sale of the vehicle. However, the State of Ohio receives sales tax for the service of Tesla (those that use Cleveland or Columbus)..

I received an Ohio title in the package that showed I had paid the sales tax. They took that title and printed out a new application for Michigan title. Tesla had included a title application in the package but they didn't use that one since it showed I still owed sales tax and didn't have the license plate information on it.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife

Interesting - I just ordered a 60D, and my sales guy at the Chicago store said I would be given temp tags but would not pay any sales tax upon delivery. I would only pay MI sales tax when I brought in the paperwork to register it at SoS.