Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about charging in "charge stopped mode"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I did a search on this, but wasn't able to find an answer. Does anyone know the precise state of the car when you are in "charge stopped" mode. More specifically, when the car is plugged in, but charging is stopped (manually and the charge port color is blue), will the car draw any power for various management features (battery temp regulation, communications, etc)? As I recall, AC/Heat should be running off wall power when plugged in right?

If not, is there any value in plugging the car in even if you're not charging specifically (or have manually stopped charging)?

If so, do you know what the uses are and what the (very) approximate wattage used per day? (bat temp management will likely depend on external temps, etc).

Thank you sincerely for any input/expertise.

GO TESLA!!!!

If you use the mobile app to pre-condition the car, or get in and turn on the HVAC, it will begin drawing shore power. The charge port will blink green and the UMC will indicate current flow.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine charges very two days and uses about 4-5 kW every 2 days to replace vampire losses. I am on FW 5.8

Interesting. Mine did the exact same thing on 4.5 last summer when I was away. I thought 5.8 would have reduced this requirement somewhat with its Energy Saving features.

Always plug your car in. Will save the main battery if you are gone for any length of time. Mine charges very two days and uses about 4-5 kW every 2 days to replace vampire losses. I am on FW 5.8
Have the similar question as OP. Not sure I understand the issue with leaving it unplugged and plugging in/topping off every 2 days - exactly what the car does, just to it manually.

I can't leave my car plugged in 24/7 due to multiple cars/garage/driveway layout.