TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Questions about charging in "charge stopped mode"

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by xradr, Nov 24, 2013.

1. xradr

xradr Member

Hi All,

I did a search on this, but wasn't able to find an answer. Does anyone know the precise state of the car when you are in "charge stopped" mode. More specifically, when the car is plugged in, but charging is stopped (manually and the charge port color is blue), will the car draw any power for various management features (battery temp regulation, communications, etc)? As I recall, AC/Heat should be running off wall power when plugged in right?

If not, is there any value in plugging the car in even if you're not charging specifically (or have manually stopped charging)?

If so, do you know what the uses are and what the (very) approximate wattage used per day? (bat temp management will likely depend on external temps, etc).

Thank you sincerely for any input/expertise.

GO TESLA!!!!

2. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Always plug your car in. Will save the main battery if you are gone for any length of time. Mine charges very two days and uses about 4-5 kW every 2 days to replace vampire losses. I am on FW 5.8

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

If you use the mobile app to pre-condition the car, or get in and turn on the HVAC, it will begin drawing shore power. The charge port will blink green and the UMC will indicate current flow.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. Mine did the exact same thing on 4.5 last summer when I was away. I thought 5.8 would have reduced this requirement somewhat with its Energy Saving features.

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

My impression is that 5.8 has reduced vampire loss (standby loss) by 25-30%%. Not as much as I wanted, but better.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Well, not if you're still seeing 4-5 kW of "top up" every other day. That is exactly the amount I used to see on 4.5.

6. xradr

xradr Member

Thanks sincerely for the input/guidance.

7. Benjamin Brooks

Perhaps the car never goes to sleep when plugged in?

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Mine seems to sleep while plugged in based on the fact that the mobile app has to "wake up" the car before connecting. It never sleeps while in a charge cycle which I guess makes sense.

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Have the similar question as OP. Not sure I understand the issue with leaving it unplugged and plugging in/topping off every 2 days - exactly what the car does, just to it manually.

I can't leave my car plugged in 24/7 due to multiple cars/garage/driveway layout.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I believe the only real difference is that the car doesn't forget.