Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about creating a public charge station for my business

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I just recently placed my order for a 85w MS and had a few questions regarding charge stations.
Since I live in Austin and have a few restaurants scattered around Texas I plan on making charge stations at each location.

The first station would be in college station, about 115mi from where I live. Looking around online the best "universal" charge station seems to be the clipper creek cs-100 with the stand.
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-13/CS-dsh-100-Ch...

It seems like this is the best station to use since pretty much all EVs can use the J1772 and they fill at a 18kw rate which is pretty quick. Would anyone recommend an alternative to the clipper creek station?
If I decide to cheap out I would do just a 240w 40a plug in port, but it looks like only the teslas can use such a port. I don't want it to be exclusive to one type of EV.

Should I worry about making the station free? It would probably primarily just be me that uses the station, but maybe I should make a sign saying for customer use only. I'm not too worried, but I also don't want people abusing the station.

Has anyone here crated a public station before? What kind of installation costs should I expect? Who can install such a station, just a normal electrician?

Thanks for any help, i'm excited to be apart of the EV revolution. :)

Look at EATON. They have point of sale, and key fob interface that will allow usage from you and employees/guests, and revieve payment for electrons for those that are truly public.

Unit $3500 for the 70A unit with extras above.

Installation will vary, I paid about $2500, but business expense, and charging infrastructure tax credits applied.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eaton.com%2Fecm%2Fidcplg%3FIdcService%3DGET_FILE%26allowInterrupt%3D1%26RevisionSelectionMethod%3DLatestReleased%26Rendition%3DPrimary%26dDocName%3DPA0EV00001E&ei=6OScUeXyKMzriQLB-oCYAw&usg=AFQjCNGFbzfNOlqRL9nXaxRieHb4lKllFw&sig2=IEdopgchPEzfoWBIBNi4pg&bvm=bv.46751780,d.cGE

We had about 150 feet of conduit, mounting the unit, 300 feet of #3 wire and 150 feet of #10/8, 100 amp special order breaker, coring the concrete, and placing a parking bullard, county permit and setup. They earned every penny, and it is a nice installation.
043.JPG

Last edited:
Whoops on the link, here is the correct URL http://stores.buyevse.com/-strse-13/CS-dsh-100-Charging-Station-with/Detail.bok

Thanks for the great info Lloyd, this is exactly what I was looking for! I have an electrician doing work on the site now and will talk to him about getting the 100A setup for the charge station installed.

Looks like the charge station you installed pulls about 16.8kw (240V*70A), not bad. What kind of miles/hour charge have you seen from the charger?

The charger from clipper creek advertises 18kw, while not much more than the EATON, it is a little faster charge and cheaper overall cost.

Thanks everyone for the useful information! Especially Lloyd, thanks for the info and photos. That looks just like the kind of install I'm looking to do.

I think I'm going to just do a clipper creek setup and just leave it public and free for all. I don't want to have to worry about charging or any maintenance fees associated with it.

I like the cost/performance of the high power clipper creek charger. This is what I meant to link above, Charging Station / CS-100, High Power

Hopefully my install will be a little less than your $2500, but I'm prepared to pay that much if it is needed. I don't want a shoddy install, I want something that looks professional and gives our business a good image for doing such a setup.

Again, thanks for the advice and help in getting this planned out!