Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions About Hansshow Android 4G 10.25-inch Tesla Model 3 Y Instrument Cluster Heads Up Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been able to install it on my old 2018. It was very difficult with my fat fingers. I had to remove the glove box to plug it in to the MCU. This is made a lot easier on newer models. Everything is working very well on it. YouTube and TikTok as well as videos play very well. The front camera works much better than my previous 9 inch screen. lots of settings for a different cameras.

The only issue is what has been mentioned previously as you can have your phone and this screen pair to your Tesla screen at the same time. If I pair my phone to 10.25 icon, make calls and do everything that way, the person on the other end has trouble hearing me. And I have not figured out how to adjust the microphone on the handsshow.. with the 4G it is nice for playing videos. Having to display right in front of you worked extremely well. I have also added a rear display. Which has a lot of capabilities to passengers in the back. I have tried to hook the rear display to the hotspot on the front display, but still having some issues.

37EE0606-29A6-442A-9334-80E3DD7F8C19.jpeg
33B658E4-C42D-42BF-833F-1E2A23E3B1C1.jpeg
A0023AF6-6097-4C0D-9215-949645FDE8BF.jpeg
AA355B34-9915-467B-B6CE-F89BA068A7FF.jpeg

E7FBE929-491D-42CC-BAAA-4F9DBDD99673.jpeg
D8137461-B14D-4CE0-B756-C7439EEF5E7B.jpeg
9637BA6A-8489-4514-BC71-53D4340FA30D.jpeg

I have been able to install it on my old 2018. It was very difficult with my fat fingers. I had to remove the glove box to plug it in to the MCU. This is made a lot easier on newer models. Everything is working very well on it. YouTube and TikTok as well as videos play very well. The front camera works much better than my previous 9 inch screen. lots of settings for a different cameras.

The only issue is what has been mentioned previously as you can have your phone and this screen pair to your Tesla screen at the same time. If I pair my phone to 10.25 icon, make calls and do everything that way, the person on the other end has trouble hearing me. And I have not figured out how to adjust the microphone on the handsshow.. with the 4G it is nice for playing videos. Having to display right in front of you worked extremely well. I have also added a rear display. Which has a lot of capabilities to passengers in the back. I have tried to hook the rear display to the hotspot on the front display, but still having some issues.

View attachment 898463
Interesting steering wheel. Where did you get it?
I know the Hansshow has a small speaker (useless IMO), but didn't know it had a microphone too. Seems the microphone wouldn't be in an ideal location to pick up your voice. But I'm not familiar with using the 4G feature.

alliexpress. I really like this model because of the horns sticking up on the side. I purchased another one that actually has heat. I decided not to install it because it’s too complicated on my older model. I also have the canbus heating module, and the canbus controller. If someone was willing to take on that project. Either way I would be willing to sell the wheel with/or without the other accessories, cheap if interested. It has carbon fiber on the edges and also a Carbon piece that goes around the scroll wheels. The wheels are very easy to exchange. I think a 2/10 In difficulty. I also like preserving my original wheel in case I need to put it back on to sell.

A10FA2D3-9797-4882-BD37-33347316B0C4.jpeg
EEC0DA6B-A4E9-483F-96EA-91490C8E6767.jpeg

Does this unit work as just a normal CarPlay if you don’t have a sim. Ie is a sim a hard requirement?
Yes, a SIM is not required for any of the functions. The SIM is only helpful if you don't subscribe to Tesla's premium connectivity. The Hansshow is getting the CarPlay info from your phone, and to me it provides a convenient way to select the CarPlay items without having to do it on your small phone screen.

The 4g is not necessary but it is very nice if you don’t want to play through your phone. I like the independence. I have “premium connectivity“ bit find it very disappointing. There is a setting on the Display for bluetooth delay. I have not had any problem, maybe it is the 4g. I have tried this with YouTube, TikTok and USB video. I am playing music through the car speakers over Bluetooth. I just wish I could connect my phone to the main Tesla display. I’ve always thought they needed a mixer for various connections. I do wish the controls were a little bit more intuitive as I reset my following distance a lot trying to use the scroll wheel. I also plan on using the hotspot to connect my rear display so both of them can use the 4G. I do want to try the Uber Driver app. I’m not sure if it is a problem with a different phone number. I just reactivated my Uber driver. I will try it sometime this week. Using Uber Driver on your phone is pretty pitiful with Tesla. You have to re-enter the address on the display and edition use your phone. The worst of all worlds. Using Waze negatively also is nice because you get all the warnings.

Best part of the display you always know the tire pressure, especially nice in the winter

Having the front camera is really helpful.

So, just got my display installed. Going from the 9” Linux to this one, there is certainly a learning curve. I have a few questions from my initial setup -

Am I correct in that if I am using CarPlay, any other Wi-Fi connection to the display is stopped (connected to home wifi, but once CarPlay is connected that connection is lost)? And if that is the case, is the only way to use streaming apps while connected to CarPlay via the 4g connection?

My front camera is not working. I checked both connections at the dash and the extension and they both seem fine. I even reconnected both (had to take my frunk out again, ugh) is there a setting that turns the camera on and off (it does not appear in the scroll wheel menus either) May be bad camera, but I want to exhaust all options before I contact supplier.

Netflix and Disney Plus are not available to download - is this normal, has anyone had any luck sideloading? (This same issue is present on the 7” rear display)

How do you change the instrument cluster to the different ones that are available?

Last one - any way to change the temp from Celsius to Fahrenheit in the side by side display mode? Can’t figure that one out.

So, just got my display installed. Going from the 9” Linux to this one, there is certainly a learning curve. I have a few questions from my initial setup -

Am I correct in that if I am using CarPlay, any other Wi-Fi connection to the display is stopped (connected to home wifi, but once CarPlay is connected that connection is lost)? And if that is the case, is the only way to use streaming apps while connected to CarPlay via the 4g connection? I'M NOT SURE, BUT THE ONLY WIFI CONNECTION I'M AWARE OF IS THE PEER TO PEER BETWEEN THE HANSSHOW UN IT AND MY IIPHONE. THAT CONNECTION GETS MADE AUTOMATICALLY (IN MY CASE) AS SOON AS I ENTER THE CAR. THIS CAUSES CARPLAY TO DISPLAY ON THE HANSSHOW, AND ALLOWS THE STREAMING APPS SUCH AS PODCASTS TO PLAY (FROM MY PHONE TO THE CAR).

My front camera is not working. I checked both connections at the dash and the extension and they both seem fine. I even reconnected both (had to take my frunk out again, ugh) is there a setting that turns the camera on and off (it does not appear in the scroll wheel menus either) May be bad camera, but I want to exhaust all options before I contact supplier. MY CAMERA WORKED FROM THE GET-GO, SO CAN'T HELP YOU HERE. IN THE CENTER OF THE DISPLAY WHERE YOU CAN SCROLL THROUGH VARIOUS OPTIONS, ONE OF THEM IS THE FRONT CAMERA, WHICH ALLOWS YOU TO MANUALLY BRING IT UP ON THE DISPLAY. MY CAMERA DISPLAY COMES UP WHEN APPROACHING OBJECTS IN FRONT, AND ALSO COMES UP FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS WHEN STARTING A NEW TRIP.

Netflix and Disney Plus are not available to download - is this normal, has anyone had any luck sideloading? (This same issue is present on the 7” rear display) I HAVE ASSUMED THAT CARPLAY WON'T ALLOW THOSE TYPES OF APPS TO BE DISPLAYED. I HAVEN'T TRIED AND HAVE NO INTEREST IN THEM.

How do you change the instrument cluster to the different ones that are available? PRESS THE RIGHT SCROLL WHEEL TO THE LEFT AND HOLD FOR A FEW SECONDS. THE 3 DISPLAY CHOICES WILL SHOW UP AT BOTTOM OF SCREEN AND YOU CAN SCROLL TO THE ONE YOU WANT TO SELECT.

Last one - any way to change the temp from Celsius to Fahrenheit in the side by side display mode? Can’t figure that one out. IT APPARENTLY ISN'T POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THOSE UNITS ON THE SMALLER SIDE BY SIDE DISPLAY, ONLY ON THE LARGE DISPLAY. HOPEFULLY THEY'LL FIX THIS, ALONG AS CHANGE MP/H TO MPH ETC.
See my responses (IN CAPS) in your message above. It appears you either have a faulty camera or faulty cable or faulty connection in the cable. Good luck with it. I find the camera very useful.

• Informative
Reactions: PauliePucks
See my responses (IN CAPS) in your message above. It appears you either have a faulty camera or faulty cable or faulty connection in the cable. Good luck with it. I find the camera very useful.
Thanks so much. I appreciate the detailed responses! I figured out the camera, mine was turned off in the settings, I am now seeing the camera page and it is automatically coming on with the sensors as expected.

However, I still have an issue with the camera, is there a specific format that the camera is supposed to be set at? When I hit the gear in the bottom right it gives me the option for “FORMAT” & “DEFAULT” when I go into the format menu it lists about 15-20 different camera resolutions and frame rates. Each resolution is in AHD or TVI. Most of the options produce a static white noise like camera feed with the exception of TVI 720 25, which I am assuming is 720p 25fps. It seems like the feed is in grayscale also, hard to tell because it’s snowing like crazy here. @Keninblaine when you’re able to can you tell me what settings yours is at?

This is the setting I used when I connected my 720p camera (from my 9” display), because I ran over my 1080p one, I did not secure properly. Also the Bluetooth delay setting
View attachment 899959
View attachment 899958
This fixed my problem. Seems as though they sent me a 720p camera and not the 1080p one. The setting AHD_720P_25 gave me a color picture and the camera is acting as expected. I’ll reach out and see if they can send the correct camera, hopefully I’ll be able to swap it without removing the frunk again. I just worry about the slack flapping around in the frunk and making a racket.

Thanks for the settings shot, I appreciate it!

One thing I forgot to respond about, with Netflix and Disney Plus and other streaming services, they do not work with CarPlay ever. CarPlay does not allow video feeds on any of the enabled apps.

I was referring to the onboard android apps, through the google play store. Seems like once you connect CarPlay it disables the Wi-Fi connection in the native android os, and doesn’t allow connectivity for those apps to function (YouTube, HBO, Prime, etc.) if you try to reconnect the Wi-Fi connection it will force you to connect back to CarPlay. I’m thinking with the 4g capability enabled by SIM data plan, this issue will go away.

The other possible fix is do not use CarPlay and tether to your phone for data and use native google play store apps (might be a better solution as I use the car to handle calls and texts anyway) this also allows the floating Nav window on main screen.

I’m waiting on my SIM from TMo, so I’m going to try both options and see how it goes.

As much as I want carplay, I've been an avid user of it in my BMWs for almost 5 years, I am on the phone far too much. Sounds like this has the same phone calling issues as the carplay mmi box I had in my 2015 BMW. My old BMW box was at least harwired to the aux in, so this adds another potential bluetooth audio issue as well?

I am a tnkerer at heart, so I am always intrigued, but after having factory carplay for a few years now, I'm reluctant. Has anyone tried the carlinkit browser based solution? I wish Tesla (and Rivian) would just suck it up and give us carplay/android auto.

Just uploaded a full install video on this display if anyone is interested in tackling it, it may be slightly unorthodox but it’s pretty thorough, when I was installing mine i was unsure about where to pass through the firewall, so I made sure to cover that.

My display is from Satonic, but they are all the same.

Constructive criticism is always welcome 😬 I’m just starting to create content so go easy on me!

The delay settings regarding Bluetooth is for phone calls, right? I have a problem with the audio delay when playing YouTube (ot any other video streaming service) directly from the device, with the audio going to the main screen via Bluetooth.

Anyone that have had the same problem and fixed it in some way?

Just uploaded a full install video on this display if anyone is interested in tackling it, it may be slightly unorthodox but it’s pretty thorough, when I was installing mine i was unsure about where to pass through the firewall, so I made sure to cover that.

My display is from Satonic, but they are all the same.

Constructive criticism is always welcome 😬 I’m just starting to create content so go easy on me!!
The delay settings regarding Bluetooth is for phone calls, right? I have a problem with the audio delay when playing YouTube (ot any other video streaming service) directly from the device, with the audio going to the main screen via Bluetooth.

Anyone that have had the same problem and fixed it in some way?
I would’ve thought that setting was universal for all output over Bluetooth. Interesting. You’re using CarPlay to manage your calls or are you using the main Tesla UI? If you’re managing the calls through tesla, maybe adjust the slider on the delay setting until it’s better/worse? I have not been using the display for my calls, and to be honest, since getting the sim, not using CarPlay much either it’s counter intuitive to me. I have Waze thru google play store