TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Questions about lack of fuses on Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by EGuzzler, Jun 11, 2018.

1. EGuzzler

EGuzzler Member

The word fuse does not show up in the owners manual. I've read online that the Model 3 uses solid state fuses which has piqued my interest but a quick google search reveals little information. I have a few curious questions for those in the know:

1. How exactly do these solid state fuses in the Model 3 work?
      1. what happens when I draw too much current in a particular circuit?
    2. Do other modern cars have solid state fuses or is is the Model 3 the first?
    3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of solid state fuses?
    4. Any more information about solid state fuses not covered by my questions would be welcomed.

• Like x 1
  2. m3snowy

m3snowy Member

Some info here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/7y3t8v/model_3_teardown_videos_youtube/

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  3. eli_

eli_ Member

Basically there's a box near the front of the car where the body controller is, and there are a bunch of MOSFETs that switch various 12v circuits, if you draw too much current it will just switch the circuit off and try to reset it. For example, if you plug in something that draws too much current on the 12v accessory connector, you'll get an alert on the center screen to stop doing that.

Also the current monitoring lets them be smarter and get away with smaller wires. For example, on the front doors you have heaters and various motors for the side mirrors, as well as window motors. Instead of using a higher gauge wire to power everything at once, you could temporarily disable the heaters while the window motor is being used to stay within current limits. Not saying Model 3 does that, but it's one example of what's possible.

• Informative x 1
  4. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Also the main «e-fuse» that came with hw2.5 should let Tesla disable your car remotely

5. mister yub

mister yub Member

It's worth noting that if you short a fused line (such as if you cut the 12V cigarette lighter line in one cut :oops:), it'll re-energize in a few hours at most.

6. EGuzzler

EGuzzler Member

That's interesting, is this a known capability that Tesla has or is this speculation?

7. EGuzzler

EGuzzler Member

I like that! You'd get specific information on the fault. Much better than trying to find the fuse box and then trying to figure out which fuse it was. One time I blew a fuse on my Chevy Volt, I didn't realize it at the time but the car had 2 fuses boxes. Of course once I found the first fuse box it took me way longer than I'd care to admit to find the second.