Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about MY with red exterior, white interior for those who have it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
I have been on the order bubble for a long time and dates just got pushed out to end of July or early August. An SA I met in another area called me up today and said they had a red exterior, white interior in inventory.

• Do you still like this combo?
  • Any issues with the white long-term? I looked through youtube reviews and generally as long as you wipe and don't wear dark jeans, seems to hold up better than I thought it would.
  • Any issues if you didn't get a spill right away?
  • Any concerns, tips, feedback worth sharing?
  • Any issues with cracking in the sun? I live in Florida and likely the car will be outside a lot. So concerned about oxidation of the red pain and issues with seats.
  • Would you buy it again?
  • Any concerns about re-sellability or resale value? I don't want to be locked into a color combo I can't get rid of or it takes a bit hit on resale value.
  • Any issues with the red paint in general with respect to scratches? How well does it tolerate dirt and still look decent?
  • Ever use a car wash with yours? What has been the long term result?
Thanks for any insight. My original choice was white/black but the white interior is growing on me. I always liked the red but my wife was all in on the white but softening when she saw a red one on the highway.

I have this same combo (red/white).
See my post: Impossible to Remove Stain/Mark on White Seats

> Would you buy it again?
Yes for red exterior. But if and only if you're willing to PPF + ceramic coat (I did this, $$$). Otherwise no, go for white.
No for white interior. No amount of protection (aka snake oil) will work on the white seats. The only exception is if you're wiling to spend $2-3k to replace the entire seat each time it gets stained.

For each person that say white seats are no problem there's another that complain about stains. Do your own research in TMC (in both MY and M3 forums).

Reactions: DayTrippin
For the read exte
I have this same combo (red/white).
See my post: Impossible to Remove Stain/Mark on White Seats

> Would you buy it again?
Yes for red exterior. But if and only if you're willing to PPF + ceramic coat (I did this, $$$). Otherwise no, go for white.
No for white interior. No amount of protection (aka snake oil) will work on the white seats. The only exception is if you're wiling to spend $2-3k to replace the entire seat each time it gets stained.

For each person that say white seats are no problem there's another that complain about stains. Do your own research in TMC (in both MY and M3 forums).

For any exterior color, we planned to go with PPF on the likely the complete front. Did you do any more than that? I'll personally ceramic coat the rest of the car.

I read through the entire thread you posted, very informative. Glad you found someone who was able to take care of your seat. We have another car with cream colored leather seats with over 100k mile now and kid in the back for about half of that and it has held up well. Maybe Ford's leather is better than the stuff Tesla is using as we haven't been anal about cleaning it either.

I've read a lot of threads, looked through youtube vids, and it seems very random how well the white holds up. I was thinking some sort of cloth seat covers for the front as an option. Maybe since you had your issue these came out. It looks like as a worst case scenario, I could buy a complete seat of covers for about $1600 if it ever got bad enough.

Can't say I want to dump more money if it isn't necessary but seems like a more cost effective option and replacing every seat. Could change color if we wanted as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

For any exterior color, we planned to go with PPF on the likely the complete front. Did you do any more than that?
Doing PPF on just the front won't be enough to protect the paint from scratches and swirls on the rest of the car. Tesla paint is notoriously thin. PPF'ing the entire car is expensive at $5-8k.
Ceramic coat just makes it easier to clean, and helps keep off water/dust/bird poop. It won't protect the paint from scratches or swirls.

I could buy a complete seat of covers for about $1600 if it ever got bad enough.
Remember to read the fine print:
*This interior kit must be installed by one of our T Sportline Approved Authorized Installers.

How much will this cost to install?
Installation cost varies by location and installer. We estimate the cost of installation to range from $500 to $850.
The install cost could be even higher depending on where you live. Also "vegan leather" could mean a lot of different things. They don't mention what the exact material is. You know my gripe with both of these things if you read through my thread.

Thanks for all your input. I thought about install costs if I went that route and where we live, services are generally affordable, not like when we were in the Bay Area.

Anyway, the decision was made for us, not by us. We had a sick kid and nobody answered the phone at the store. By the time I got there, it, and our next 10 or so favorite options were gone. I even checked before leaving the house and it was still there, less than 20 minutes later the red/white was gone.

One popped up in inventory that wasn't there. It was a demo white exterior/black interior that the store didn't even know about. It had never been put into service so to speak and had the generic "less than 50 miles" that they say when a demo car hasn't been used yet and is up for sale. So pounced on that one and taking deliver in a few days.

I won't spend the money to PPF the entire car. If it is that bad, no point owning a Tesla. I could likey have the entire car repainted by a great local guy who focuses on exotics and Concours cars for under 5k. The guy is a wizard when it comes to paint. So I'll PPF the front and have him take care of anything else that comes up. Even then he told me he'd repaint the entire bumper for me for less than some of the quotes I've gotten for PPF.