Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Ordering Model Y Tow Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A55!

May 19, 2021
DFW
Hi,

So on 7/1 I ordered the Model Y Tow Package that cost $1299 out the door.

I made a service appointment as prescribed on the Tesla Store page to have the Model Y Tow Package installed. I was called the same day, and told I would have to wait for tracking information.

I waited until after the 4th of July weekend to make another service appointment, and 7/9 was available.

Today on 7/8 I received a message in the app saying, “Hi this is Tesla, at this time the online order team has not processed the order. If you would like to follow up on it please email [email protected]. we have moved the appointment out further for now. We may have to cancel until you receive shipping confirmation. thanks,”

So much for making time to have this installed on 7/9. I emailed [email protected] and haven’t received an reply yet.

Then just before posting this I just received a phone call from someone at the Plano service center telling me that they have no information on where the Model Y Tow Package is, and that because of this they are scheduling me for 7/26 for an in-service center installation appointment.

I relay that I’ve seen this done online by mobile techs, and the mobile tech who came to look at my cars paint scratches after delivery said they do them mobile, and he had done them.

So I sent them the screenshots of my order history and invoice. It does say “Enroute to Plano.”

This is all confusing to me because I’ve read online people have the parts delivered in less than a week, and my experience with ordering accessories from Tesla is 5 business days or less from date of order.

My understanding is a service center can’t order the parts for me, and they can’t find out where they are. To me that is a huge disconnect in their supply chain.

So my questions are, how do I help the service center people do their job so I don’t have to go all of July without being able to tow my waverunners, and how do I encourage them to work me in for an earlier appointment if/when they do find the parts? Now that I look at my Tesla app it says 7/27 for a service center appointment. That’s wild.

Hi,

I made a service appointment as prescribed on the Tesla Store page to have the Model Y Tow Package installed. I was called the same day, and told I would have to wait for tracking information.

I waited until after the 4th of July weekend to make another service appointment, and 7/9 was available.

Today on 7/8 I received a message in the app saying, “Hi this is Tesla, at this time the online order team has not processed the order. If you would like to follow up on it please email [email protected]. we have moved the appointment out further for now. We may have to cancel until you receive shipping confirmation. thanks,”

So much for making time to have this installed on 7/9. I emailed [email protected] and haven’t received an reply yet.

Then just before posting this I just received a phone call from someone at the Plano service center telling me that they have no information on where the Model Y Tow Package is, and that because of this they are scheduling me for 7/26 for an in-service center installation appointment.

I relay that I’ve seen this done online by mobile techs, and the mobile tech who came to look at my cars paint scratches after delivery said they do them mobile, and he had done them.

So I sent them the screenshots of my order history and invoice. It does say “Enroute to Plano.”

This is all confusing to me because I’ve read online people have the parts delivered in less than a week, and my experience with ordering accessories from Tesla is 5 business days or less from date of order.

My understanding is a service center can’t order the parts for me, and they can’t find out where they are. To me that is a huge disconnect in their supply chain.

So my questions are, how do I help the service center people do their job so I don’t have to go all of July without being able to tow my waverunners, and how do I encourage them to work me in for an earlier appointment if/when they do find the parts? Now that I look at my Tesla app it says 7/27 for a service center appointment. That’s wild.
You cannot help them. It will arrive when it arrives. At Tesla’s pace which is often times slow.

Hi,

Reading this as written, it sounds like after being told to wait for the tracking information, you just scheduled the service appointment after the holiday weekend instead of waiting for the tracking information... or am I missing something?

Keith

Reading this as written, it sounds like after being told to wait for the tracking information, you just scheduled the service appointment after the holiday weekend instead of waiting for the tracking information... or am I missing something?

Keith
You’re missing something. Their website updated to “Enroute to Plano” and the FAQ on their website states to make an appointment after ordering. Either way. There is no tracking.

2156443A-226D-41DE-A0B5-F70F98345029.jpeg

5AD4827E-4EB9-4FDB-B923-C5FF31DD01D0.jpeg

I just got mine installed this afternoon in Toronto. I ordered it maybe three weeks ago and after waiting for someone from the service centre to contact me for two weeks I got fed up and just tried booking a service appointment. The app originally let me book a mobile service appointment but then shortly after booking someone called from the service centre to say they couldn’t do it with mobile service me and asked if I was available to drop the car off in the next few hours that same day. I wasn’t free so I scheduled it for today. No issue getting it installed. My account says that its still “in transit” though. Not sure if that helps but its another data point I guess. Hope your situation gets sorted out soon.

Could you kindly elaborate? I'm thinking of getting the OEM hitch installed but I also read somewhere that trailer mode is not enabled when hitch is installed post delivery? TIA!
That is not accurate. Factory install gets you the hitch, the electronics hardware, and trailer mode software.

I saw one post on the forum where Tesla forgot to enable the trailer mode software during delivery. But it should be part of the process.

Reactions: GeekyDoc
That is not accurate. Factory install gets you the hitch, the electronics hardware, and trailer mode software.

I saw one post on the forum where Tesla forgot to enable the trailer mode software during delivery. But it should be part of the process.
Thanks for clarifying, very helpful. If I was to buy from Tesla now and have the SC install, would it have the hardware and the trailer mode?