Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Ordering Model Y Tow Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any trimming necessary? Rubbing?
Nope fits perfectly. Etrailer (and Uhaul since both are exact same drawtite hitch) said it will not fit a 2020 only a 2021. After some head scratching I took a chance and just ordered it along with the wire harness that plugs right into the tail lights. Both fit perfect, no idea why they say it won’t fit as nothing has changed on Y since producing began regarding rear body or lights. I tied in the power to cig lighter outlet back there. When not towing it draws .004 amps. When towing with lights on and brake lights on it draws .4 amps. I simply spliced into the power lead on that outlet and it could be replaced with another outlet if need be later or I could of run a new wire all the way to battery up front but I didn’t.

I towed with it already and it’s great. Only issue is the back up sensors beep backing up and there’s a line on the screen on rear bumper but no beeps while driving fwd. and you get AP while towing :). Oh and it’s free, since I sold the rear crash bar I took off for $350 and the hitch and harness only cost $325. Actually made $25. Total no brainer not sure why anyone spends nearly $1400 on a Tesla hitch and then looses AP towing …

Is this only with a trailer/rack attached or do the backup sensors beep even when the hitch is empty?
Only when rack or trailer is attached

I’ve spent more time towing and carrying bikes. It’s kind of annoying at times to be honest. I’d still rather retain AP towing and put up with it but would be nice if Tesla would allow a way to just disable rear bumper warning.

Only when rack or trailer is attached

I’ve spent more time towing and carrying bikes. It’s kind of annoying at times to be honest. I’d still rather retain AP towing and put up with it but would be nice if Tesla would allow a way to just disable rear bumper warning.
You can manually switch off Park Assist Chime. But I’d rather have a “Tow Accessory” mode

Reactions: a2t2
Early last week I received a message that my service date was being changed to September 2nd. That the part would be in by the end of the week.

I texted them this morning, and was told there is no tracking on the part, and they don't know when.

I ordered on July 1st.

Agree. If you can wait and if you don’t mind the extra cost, factory is way to go if u don’t mind losing AP towing
With the factory tow kit, tow mode is an *option* you can select, it's not required. You can run a factory hitch exactly the same as an aftermarket one if you want.

You can also disable the reversing chimes on the console which is what I recommend if you have a hitch rack. (I know you didn't ask this, but someone else did).