Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've decided to pull the trigger on ordering a Tesla Model 3 but have a couple of questions. I know my delivery date will probably fall into next spring and I'm okay with that. But, is there a point where I have to submit my financing? I mean, I will use the time to gather as much as I can for the down payment, but if the monthly payment is too high, I may change from from purchasing to leasing. Is there a point where I have to commit to either? Or do I have until I get a VIN number to decide? The ordering process is easy, it's what comes next that is unknown to me. Any help with the process after ordering would be appreciated.

Order with cash and you can switch to financing later. Don’t apply for loans until you are close to delivery like getting a VIN.

If you want something quicker and don’t care about color or confit then use the discord server that tracks inventory and half dozen cars pop up every day. The sell out in minutes though.

Reactions: Stook02ss
Don't be surprised to be able to take delivery of a new M3 much earlier than next spring. Tesla builds cars for inventory (some of which gets posted online) and to match to future orders. I agree with post above, don't start the loan process until you at least have an assigned VIN.

Thank you for your responses but I think I may have asked my question wrong. If I order a Tesla today and pay my initial $250, at what time do I have to decide if I'm buying or leasing? As I said, I would be gathering my down payment up until I would take delivery and whatever the monthly payment would be, will determine if I lease or buy and also determine my financing.

Thank you for your responses but I think I may have asked my question wrong. If I order a Tesla today and pay my initial $250, at what time do I have to decide if I'm buying or leasing? As I said, I would be gathering my down payment up until I would take delivery and whatever the monthly payment would be, will determine if I lease or buy and also determine my financing.

Put that you are paying cash now. You can change this later. The only thing is, interest rates / money factors will not get locked in until you have an approved application, so those could change.

You can decide how you are going to pay for something (cars included) right up to a few days before you pick it up. If you put cash now, and "change your mind to a loan" or "change your mind to leasing" that is something anyone can do, basically up to when they go pick up the car.

You might have to push your pickup date back a few days if you change your mind, but you can change your mind from "cash" to something else, basically up to the last minute.

Put that you are paying cash now. You can change this later. The only thing is, interest rates / money factors will not get locked in until you have an approved application, so those could change.

You can decide how you are going to pay for something (cars included) right up to a few days before you pick it up. If you put cash now, and "change your mind to a loan" or "change your mind to leasing" that is something anyone can do, basically up to when they go pick up the car.

You might have to push your pickup date back a few days if you change your mind, but you can change your mind from "cash" to something else, basically up to the last minute.
Thank you, this will help make th leap faster.