Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about PPF/Clear Bra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I am considering to put PPF to my car, maybe just the front part (front bumper, hood, headlights, fenders). I have seen some of those products like the 3M scotchgard pro that claims to have self-healing and such, but how does it work?

Let's say you got a couple of rock chips to the PPF, does self-healing actually heals out the scratches and tears that may have caused by objects hitting to the PPF? Or is it really just a one time use kind of a thing, and I would have to remove the whole thing afterwards? I don't really see the point of doing PPF if it's only going to be a one time use and the scratches/tears never heal back, seems quite expensive to keep replacing them.

Yes, PPF does actually "self-heal". If the rock chip is so bad that it is not able to self-heal, most of the these PPF companies will replace the affected piece under warranty. If you want to know more, there are many threads on PPF with excellent info. I have the Suntek Ultra PPF on my front bumper, hood and fenders. So far, I am a fan. I consider it the most valuable protective thing I've done to keep the car looking good for future years.

Quality PPF does self-heal with minor damage and is amazing. It will not have to be replaced like older films of 20 years ago that would yellow and look crappy after short time period. I have wrapped many cars I've owned in Xpel and STEK films and I cant imagine not having it.

You will see a point in having if you drive a vehicle a few thousand miles without it. Here's one of my Model 3 post PPF install. [Full bumper, fogs, headlights, fenders, hood, mirrors, extended rockers]
View media item 120221

A picture (or in this case a video) is worth a 1000 words.

Here is a helpful video on PPF I have posted on other PPF-related TMC posts. In this video, he purposely scratches his paint with a steel brush to demonstrate the self-healing properties of PPF:

Reactions: XLR82XS
Self-healing means is just for swirl marks like in the video. PPF absolutely will not self-heal anything that causes cuts or rips. Self-healing is a very generous marketing term in this case.

To answer the question of how deep of a scratch will self heal, it is true that a severe rock chip or deep gouge will not self heal. However, it is inaccurate to say that the self healing properties are "just marketing". I think that minimizes the true benefits of PPF.

I think those that are opposed to PPF tend to minimize how effective it is. And, to be fair, some people that love PPF can over state how much of a benefit it provides. Thus, I think it is best to have objectively accurate info.

PPF does:

1) Self heal some pretty significant scratches. Once someone keyed my car (I am guessing a Tesla hater at a shopping mall). Within 30 minutes of the sun's heat, the key marks were completely gone and the PPF remained completely intact. If I had not had the PPF, my car would have been in the body shop for several days. That was worth the price of admission right there!

2) From Xpel's website:
"The clear coat is the self-healing layer and is approximately 13 microns thick. If that layer is penetrated, the film will not heal."
That is about .013 mm .

3) Even when the gouge is too deep for the film to self heal, the PPF often takes the brunt of an impact. My Tesla got a major ding from a cardoor opening into it (I know because I was in the car at the time). Although the PPF was ripped, the paint underneath was not damaged at all. I went to my PPF installer. He had an in house dent removal guy remove the ding and then replaced the PPF. The total repair took about 3 hours. If I had not had the PPF, I would have taken the car to a body shop to have the fender repainted.

4) If you have a full car PPF, it is safer to take your car to a traditional car wash. If they induce any scratches or swirls, they will vanish in the sun's heat.