Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about purchasing a used model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been looking at tesla’s For a long time and they have finally become affordable for me. I’m looking at a used 2014 P85. It’s at a local car lot where I live. So the obvious questions I have are warranty, does the manufacturer warranty transfer to a new owner? I’m told the vehicle has free supercharging for life but does that transfer to a new owner? He’s asking 40k and it has 43,000 miles. Is this a fair price? But here’s the thing about that. This car has a branded title, I looked it up on carfax and they said that it fell under the lemon law in California. That the car was purchased back by the manufacturer. Now the guy trying to sell it is saying that the owner in California had brought the car in for service because the second key fob wasn’t working and because he brought it in 3 times for that issue and they couldn’t fix it then it got deemed a lemon under California law. This seems an odd reason to me to brand a title under a lemon law just because of a key fob. I have called Tesla several times to try to get maintenance records on this vehicle but to no avail. Also what would a branded title do to the value of the car? Because 40k is what KBB says it’s worth with a clean title. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I would avoid at all costs with a branded title. The free supercharging would transfer but the warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles so it is expired already.

Sounds like he's bullshitting you about the keyfob for the buy back reason, but without records I would never take their word for it. If you really want a used Tesla, buy one directly from Tesla with a warranty. They aren't always perfect but a 4 year or 2 year warranty is a really nice thing to have. An 85D would have very similar performance to a P85 if that's is what you are after. There no P85s at the moment but I have seen them show up in the past.

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

rofl lemon because of a keyfob...
I bet the next thing that sales guy will try to sell you is beach front property in Nevada, saying, the big one will come soon and make California sink into the ocean.

Meaning i am 100000% sure tesla nor any lawyer could get a lemon law out from a broken key fob.
Tesla would most definitely replace the entire keyfob + locks + MCU and everything before that happened and they had to buy back the car.

The car most likely has a more serious problem with rattling, or frame, or something else, which the original owner could not get fixed, nor tesla could cover up to at least make it disappear.

If you want to fly to California and road trip home, I have a 2014 P85 that I am Selling for $37,000. Has 12,000 miles or two years left on Limited Warranty, and 33 months left on the battery/drive unit warranty. Plus comes with Unlimited Supercharging for life:)

Reactions: ozark46
Definitely pass on the Branded Title, for that price. They are asking WAY too much for a Branded Title car.

Be patient, shop around. Also, the P85 is comparable to the 85D, so that might open up some options for you and have more cars to choose from. Also, if it's a 2014+, I would try getting a model that has Autopilot. There is a jump in price for non-Autopilot vs Autopilot cars.

Thank you guys for the info it’s been really helpful! Does anyone have any idea on how I could look up why it got branded with a lemon title? And how much money off of book value should it be priced at? If I’m even going to consider it I want to go back to the salesman prepared with a number to give him as an offer.

I'll add that unless you buy from a private owner - you probably will not get Free Unlimited Supercharging.
All P85s had free supercharging tied to the car for life. If you buy it from a private party it's illegal for Tesla to remove it from the car.

I know they're messing with you from the other thread, but you have legal standing to force them to make you whole. They can't take something off of a car they don't own. Removing it is simple theft.

yeah - guys - I'm just putting it out there. Tesla is trigger happy to find any reason to remove FUSC from ANY car. I was pretty much told by Tesla that my car was wholesaled (went to auction) to the dealer I bought it from therefore they had the right to remove FUSC. Yes - it was a 3rd party sale before the policy went into place and all. But sure - what do I know?

yeah - guys - I'm just putting it out there. Tesla is trigger happy to find any reason to remove FUSC from ANY car. I was pretty much told by Tesla that my car was wholesaled (went to auction) to the dealer I bought it from therefore they had the right to remove FUSC. Yes - it was a 3rd party sale before the policy went into place and all. But sure - what do I know?

I thought it was only used cars thru Tesla. So maybe yours was a lease return to Tesla or trade-in, they removed it, and then auctioned it to the 3rd party? Not doubting you, just curious how they are getting away with this.

For the record, I agree, FUCS doesn't seem sustainable, however, I don't like the confusion it causes....

Jason-Rick, Car is black performance interior w/white alcantera lining, Extended leather trim, black outside. Dark grey 19" rims, pano roof. Has red brake calipers and the carbon fiber spoiler. Sadly no Ap:( I am leaving for the Labor Day weekend but can send pics when I get back.

Jason-Rick, Car is black performance interior w/white alcantera lining, Extended leather trim, black outside. Dark grey 19" rims, pano roof. Has red brake calipers and the carbon fiber spoiler. Sadly no Ap:( I am leaving for the Labor Day weekend but can send pics when I get back.
Ok that’s cool! Yes I would appreciate some pics when you get back. Enjoy your weekend! I will be battling a hurricane. Lol.

I would steer clear of dealers or private party sales and only buy a used Tesla from Tesla. I am so happy I did and was very close to buying from a local lot. Buying from Tesla will give you peace of mind and their pricing is not bad at all. I got a beautiful car with a warranty and price I could not find anywhere else. Be patient and keep searching Tesla's site several times a day until you find the right car. It took me almost 6 months to find mine.

Have you talked with a lawyer?

If it was branded a lemon. It has to have....had more than 30 occurrences in a shop. More than 60 down days. More than 2 separate issues in that time. OR a life safety issue (ie. seatbelt related but this hasn’t really been found positive)

Unless you know the name of the original buyer you’ll likely never figure out why it’s a lemon.

so. Ya. An accessory such as a key fob wouldn’t fit here because technically you can dive the car with your phone. I call BS. Stay away. For that price you could buy from Tesla and get more for your buck plus it’ll come with some sort of warranty.

Reactions: whitex