Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Raven MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to rationalize trading in my 1 yr old MS for the current version. I'm convinced that the longer range, faster charging, and better suspension is worth it. Questions:
1.What is missing in standard AP now vs the EAP in my current car. Should I even bother getting the FSD option?
2.Is the faster supercharging significant enough? How much time will I save charging from 20 to 80% at the supercharger?
3.Has there been any progress in preventing the yellow screen problem? Mine has yellow around the edges.
4.Is the new version any quieter than my July 2018 build MS? In my test drive I didn't sense much difference, but I didn't get a chance to try out noisier roads.
I appreciate any input. Thank you.

Last edited:
1. You will cease to have stuff like summon, autopark, NoA, and lane changes if you opt to not have FSD.
2. I don't think it's significant enough because it's still not at Model 3 levels.
3. Yes, I believe Tesla has solved the yellow border problem in their newer cars.
4. When I drove a Raven noise levels seemed the same to me also, but some people say it's quieter. The suspension is noticeably more comfortable but apparently now the car behaves more like a FWD car, which I dislike.

All in all unless you're upgrading to a performance version, paying to upgrade to a Raven from a 2018 MS is very far from being worth it, IMHO. Especially if you're just "upgrading" from a 100D to a LR.

My purchase had the same Qs as yours, but I ended up buying a pre-Raven (100D) Feb 2019 build with EAP. And saved over 20% of the configured price.

a) Tons of sources between how FSD > EAP > AP. And @iqless summarized it.
b) We were told the charging rate is not significantly better in the new MS, unlike the M3, which has higher charging rates. The MS is not there yet. And extrapolating this to the range, mine is 335 & the new ones are 370. I did the math & the SC time, for the 35 miles, is inconsequential. YMMV.
c) No idea on the yellow screen. I don't see it on my car.
d) We test drove the Raven & my car on the same roads, almost back to back & did not see any improvements on noise cancellation. I could still hear my wife screaming at me, at the same pitch, to slow down, while driving both cars. (yeah Top Gun was playing in the background both times.)
e) Suspension is meh. Unless you live in very hilly areas, or your driveway is seriously steep, I really don't think you'll see the difference. I did not when I drove both cars.

If the $ is burning a hole in your pocket, get some Tesla stock. Elon will appreciate it either way. But IMO, save the $ & do some mods to it, like get a new set of wheels, or wrap it in a diff' color, etc to give you the 'new car' feel.

G'luck.

My current MS is a July 2018 build. Can someone clarify the following:
1. Does the Raven update revise the AP hardware to 3.0 (vs 2.5 on mine)? Is the MCU any different?
2. Raven charge power is 200 kW. Is there a software update that increased the rate on my current model to higher than 150 kW?
Thanks.

Last edited: