Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about returning to the brand...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a '14 model s for about 3 years. Still say the best vehicle I have ever owned. Traded it in for a '16, and immediately had a lot of issues. Kept needing front axel repairs, terrible grinding noises all the time. Was not abused, also some electronic issues, blank screens really bad in the winter with no heat, most times reboots fixed it, but was really not fun to own. Tesla did very good by me and repurchased the vehicle. Have since owned an S550 which was nice but not the same at all. I now have an Audi Q8 which is a total nightmare. Owned since April last year, out of service over 70 days, was forced to sue for lemon law and Audi agreed to buy it back for full amount.
Here I stand needing a vehicle and choosing to look back fondly on my first "S". My concerns are customer service not being the same as when I was a huge fan.
What do you guys think. Its great for me to have an opportunity for a do-over.

Thanks

FWIW, how "friendly"/"contentious" was the buyback on your 2016? Tesla has blacklisted a few previous owners from buying another vehicle (you can find some of their stories in the forums, usually its from the owner forcing the issue through arbitration or such).

My concerns are customer service not being the same as when I was a huge fan.

service has gotten worse.
Most placles are a train wreck, but there are some unicorn service centers that will go out of the way to help you.

There is almost no rentals, most of the mobile services are canceled unless its a small job.
They will not service the car unless you pay a fee for "noise" so never say noise, say VIBRATIONS, or you feel something off from there.

A lot of things now to tesla are called "wear and tear" or "cosmetic", even tho your under that 4yr 50k BUMPER to BUMPER.

To be honest, if you loved that service you got on a S550, stay with MBENZ. As Tesla service is literally the other end of that apex.

Tesla has now made over 1 Million cars. There are bound to be forum post of some that have had more problems than expected.

Overall the cars are a joy to drive, have the best Autopilot, are competitively priced, and hold up better overall than the average gasser.

If you have not driven a recent Raven S or X, you might be surprised what a leap they have made in quality and enhanced driving experience. They offer lower prices, smoother adaptive suspensions, greater range, enhanced performance, and improved quality.

Tesla has now made over 1 Million cars. There are bound to be forum post of some that have had more problems than expected.
I don't think you can blame this on "there is bound to be a bad forum post". The quote below illustrates Tesla service model really well - this is how it's designed to work:
They initially scheduled me for Mobile Service, then after 5 days said I'd have to bring it to a SvC. Took it in yesterday. Car hasn't been looked at yet.
The no live person to schedule or get updates from, no loners, queuing up cars for days, etc are policy by design, not some rare occurrence.

Maybe a more accurate way to put it would be that out of the million cars, there has bound to be some that didn't require much service, and since the cars are really amazing to drive, owners experience is amazing.

There was a quote I read recently, can't find it right now, but it described today's Tesla service experience well, something along the lines of having knots in your stomach and feeling more anxious than before a root canal every time you even think of possibly having to deal with Tesla service.

Most agree that Tesla has issues with telephone communications and repair parts. Understand that lately the repair parts are more readily available, but getting someone on the phone is a challenge.

Still...the cars are life altering.

People can kick and scream, but the governments of the World have decreed that the mass production of polluting gas/diesel vehicles must stop. Their pollution is killing and causing more illness around the world than the Corona Virus.

Not everyone has bad service experience. I have been pleased with the very occasional service. Even my 12 year old Roadster slated for a new charge port light ring next month.
I can see Tesla service model working great for people who don't have any pressing needs (willing to wait weeks for appointments, parts, and however long the car spends in the parking lot queue). For people who rely on their Tesla as their only daily driver, the service model of schedule an appointment on phone, wait a few days to see if it's cancelled/rescheduled, wait some more, drop off the car, wait some more (up to some number of days without many updates during that time) while having no car to drive, etc. is not great.

I had a '14 model s for about 3 years. Still say the best vehicle I have ever owned. Traded it in for a '16, and immediately had a lot of issues. Kept needing front axel repairs, terrible grinding noises all the time. Was not abused, also some electronic issues, blank screens really bad in the winter with no heat, most times reboots fixed it, but was really not fun to own. Tesla did very good by me and repurchased the vehicle. Have since owned an S550 which was nice but not the same at all. I now have an Audi Q8 which is a total nightmare. Owned since April last year, out of service over 70 days, was forced to sue for lemon law and Audi agreed to buy it back for full amount.
Here I stand needing a vehicle and choosing to look back fondly on my first "S". My concerns are customer service not being the same as when I was a huge fan.

Thanks

the overall popularity of Tesla (with zero marketing budget) typically speaks for itself, overall.
But for most, it usually comes down to whether you still want to drive a combustion engine vehcile, or go EV?
If your decision is EV, there really is only one answer today

Tesla.

I can see Tesla service model working great for people who don't have any pressing needs (willing to wait weeks for appointments, parts, and however long the car spends in the parking lot queue). For people who rely on their Tesla as their only daily driver, the service model of schedule an appointment on phone, wait a few days to see if it's cancelled/rescheduled, wait some more, drop off the car, wait some more (up to some number of days without many updates during that time) while having no car to drive, etc. is not great.
To be fair my issue is NOT critical as the car drives fine, it is purely cosmetic, and the one time i did have a critical issue the car was picked up the following day. Now that was about 4 years back so things may have changed, but even though I am 200 miles from a service center, I do not have a fear of being left without a car.

2020 Raven S. Absolutely love it. I have had a lot of nice cars and this thing beats all. As for service, I have taken it in once. The tech came out and drove with me, discussed the issues, I was given a 2018 MS 75D (they have enterprise on-site with a dozen matching cars), and I was called that evening that my car was ready.

BTW, it was a popping noise in the dash by the windshield that I took it in for. They said they removed the dash and added padding where it mated. No noise since.

I can say though, even with that 2018 75D, my 2020 Raven feels MUCH nicer! Go try them out whenever you can.

OK, this is a sample of one so evaluate it as such. Took delivery of a 2020 MS Performance 11-2019. Purchase process was better than typical dealership but sales personnel can be a little less than well informed. The delivery process was painless as far as the paperwork went. A sales rep spent close to an hour going over the car and answering any questions. Plenty of time and not rushed at all. So far, above average customer service. In 5 months and 2800 miles I have had no issues at all. No mechanical issues, no software glitches over multiple OTA updates. I can't comment on the service center experience since I have had absolutely no need to contact Tesla about anything. Negative experiences get a lot more "press" than all the positive ones. Don't ignore all the problems that have been reported but don't let that stop you from considering getting back into a Tesla. Arrange a test drive. The Raven changes are more than just evolutionary. Close to revolutionary. I make up excuses to drive the car and would buy it again without hesitation. I can't wait to try the next iteration. Your concern was customer service. Well I have needed less customer service with Tesla than any previous car. That's the best kind of customer service - give the customer a car that doesn't need service.

Last edited: