Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions About SCE Solar Net Metering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to get solar but SCE rate is like 12 cents in the day and 12 cents super late at night.

My questions with Solar are:

1. Will SCE store day time Energy from solar and give it back to me at night when I use it? Seems like this is what net metering is.
  2. Or will SCE buy my day time Solar like at 2 cent or 4 cents? This means my night rates will be like 8 to 10 cents.

I’m not sure if it’s worth it going solar since most of my energy usage is at night. I don’t want to sell energy at wholesale and then still buy energy at night.

Thanks!

I want to get solar but SCE rate is like 12 cents in the day and 12 cents super late at night.

My questions with Solar are:

1. Will SCE store day time Energy from solar and give it back to me at night when I use it? Seems like this is what net metering is.
  2. Or will SCE buy my day time Solar like at 2 cent or 4 cents? This means my night rates will be like 8 to 10 cents.

I’m not sure if it’s worth it going solar since most of my energy usage is at night. I don’t want to sell energy at wholesale and then still buy energy at night.

Thanks!

Any extra energy you produce during the day (when solar panel is producing), they will put a negative $ value on your bill. In other words, they will buy from at the rate of the TOU during the production. But you don't get "pay" that amount. You kept a running credit (if you overproduce) until end of 12 months. I just finished my 12 months and I over produced about $1800. I get paid $75.

I think instead of getting solar, you may be better off switching the Time of Use Prime Rate. Since you own an EV, you are eligible to switch to it. It pretty much give you cheap rate all day/night long except from 4pm to 9pm.

It is tough to beat a $0.12 rate even on TOU. But if he goes with solar the multiplier is even better because he will have to be on TOU. He will bank $0.30 to $0.40 during the day and use it at $0.13 at night

Unfortunately he can't anymore. SCE got rid of the TOU rates (A, B, etc..) that charges $0.30 to $0.40 during the day this year. Their new TOU rate plans charge the same exact same rate all day except from 4/5 to 8/9pm when solar is not productive. So he would be banking the same rate as he is charging at night doesn't matter which TOU rate he chooses. I was told the change was because SCE got so much solar during the day that they only have to turn on the generators when solar is out.

• Informative
Reactions: forkee
i recommend the TOU Prime for you so you can charge up when it's cheaper

Unfortunately he can't anymore. SCE got rid of the TOU rates (A, B, etc..) that charges $0.30 to $0.40 during the day this year. Their new TOU rate plans charge the same exact same rate all day except from 4/5 to 8/9pm when solar is not productive. So he would be banking the same rate as he is charging at night doesn't matter which TOU rate he chooses. I was told the change was because SCE got so much solar during the day that they only have to turn on the generators when solar is out.

thank you for this. i didn't even notice till you said this and i looked it up. thankfully i am grandfathered in so i can still take advantage of the TOU daytime peaks so that my solar can generated the higher rates!

thank you for this. i didn't even notice till you said this and i looked it up. thankfully i am grandfathered in so i can still take advantage of the TOU daytime peaks so that my solar can generated the higher rates!

I am grandfathered too for the old TOU-A I am on, but I think it is only for like 5 years or something. Pretty sure it was not for the entire 20 years of my NEM contract. So good thing I am over producing right now because once it switches to the new TOU rate plan, I will probably just about break even without the $0.30+ peak rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: forkee
What sucks is that I am currently on TOU-D-A, which I switched into last Jan 2019. I got solar installed in the summer as I was under the impression SCE will not change my grandfathered-in rate plan. I was told today by an SCE rep that by getting PTO on the solar, it counts as a rate change. So they will change me to TOU-D-4-5PM automatically. Since I am only allowed one rate change within a 12-month period, I won't be able to change to TOU-D-PRIME until Jan 2020. This is one of the things SCE screw homeowners.

What sucks is that I am currently on TOU-D-A, which I switched into last Jan 2019. I got solar installed in the summer as I was under the impression SCE will not change my grandfathered-in rate plan. I was told today by an SCE rep that by getting PTO on the solar, it counts as a rate change. So they will change me to TOU-D-4-5PM automatically. Since I am only allowed one rate change within a 12-month period, I won't be able to change to TOU-D-PRIME until Jan 2020. This is one of the things SCE screw homeowners.

Oh wow. Have you tried calling them? Last year after my PTO, they put me in TOU-D-T. I called them and they were able to change me to TOU-D-A. You probably won't be able to change back to A, but should be able to change to Prime if you call.

Oh wow. Have you tried calling them? Last year after my PTO, they put me in TOU-D-T. I called them and they were able to change me to TOU-D-A. You probably won't be able to change back to A, but should be able to change to Prime if you call.

I’ll call my solar company on Monday and ask to help me stay with TOU-D-A. I am still waiting on my PTO.