Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Seattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 21 Contis do surprisingly well in the cold and wet, far better than any summer tire I've had previously. Most turn into hockey pucks below 40F. Not the Contis.

BUT, they have no siping (tiny slits), so they will have close to 0 traction on snow and ice. Not worth risking it.

The 21 Contis do surprisingly well in the cold and wet, far better than any summer tire I've had previously. Most turn into hockey pucks below 40F. Not the Contis.

BUT, they have no siping (tiny slits), so they will have close to 0 traction on snow and ice. Not worth risking it.

Thanks. Is there any disadvantage (since you have to go through pain of changing rims/tires) to going to winter tires or would the all seasons make more sense given the limited snow. Have never switch tires actually as I've always driven on all seasons or summer tires.

Found this:
http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/winterdrivingtips.htm

He recommends 'sticky snow tires' which I haven't heard of before

If you don't want to bother swapping out wheels twice a year and don't mind giving up a little performance on snow and in the summer, then all seasons work well here.

If you want the best handling in all conditions, or plan to go into the mountains a lot for winter sports or cross the pass into eastern WA, then go with a dedicated winter tire and wheel setup for the 4 months we could see snow. A "winter performance" tire is perfect for the Model S and our climate. It'll have a silica compound that stays compliant and sticky in freezing temperatures, but not an awful ride when on dry or wet like a full on snow tire or studied snow tire.

Between the two options, it's a question of what you want to maximize: convenience or handling.

If you don't want to bother swapping out wheels twice a year and don't mind giving up a little performance on snow and in the summer, then all seasons work well here.

If you want the best handling in all conditions, or plan to go into the mountains a lot for winter sports or cross the pass into eastern WA, then go with a dedicated winter tire and wheel setup for the 4 months we could see snow. A "winter performance" tire is perfect for the Model S and our climate. It'll have a silica compound that stays compliant and sticky in freezing temperatures, but not an awful ride when on dry or wet like a full on snow tire or studied snow tire.

Between the two options, it's a question of what you want to maximize: convenience or handling.

Thanks. So probably just easier to get the Pirelli sport winter tires that Tesla sells (even if they aren't the best) until Tesla supports the Nokian R2s.

Resurrecting a very old thread.....!! And I'm putting out a few bread crumbs elsewhere on TMC, as well.

Would any locals or ex-locals care to chime in with their thoughts yay/nay on Bainbridge Island, circa 2018? Of note is that commuting would not be part of any equation - just overall lifestyle, community, schools, outdoor activities and so forth. Already familiar with housing prices...and with weather.

Asking for a friend.

Audubon
I live part time in the Seattle area, and was talking to someone about Bainbridge last week- They were originally from South Carolina and other than the weather had all positive things to say about where they lived, good schools, good community, plenty of things to do- They did have school age children. Just one data point. I've only been to Bainbridge once, and I can say it's very rural and felt a lot like the midwest to me. And yes the housing is expensive, but all of it in the NW is pretty pricey.

Resurrecting a very old thread.....!! And I'm putting out a few bread crumbs elsewhere on TMC, as well.

Would any locals or ex-locals care to chime in with their thoughts yay/nay on Bainbridge Island, circa 2018? Of note is that commuting would not be part of any equation - just overall lifestyle, community, schools, outdoor activities and so forth. Already familiar with housing prices...and with weather.

Asking for a friend.

My quick answer is a yay. My wife would like us to move there from Redmond, but the commute would be a bit too much for my job, so we stay put.