Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about selling my SR+ (70 plate)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I’ve had my SR+ for about 5 weeks clocking up just under 3k miles ans the car is still in new condition (minus a bit of kerb rashing on one of the wheels).

With the refreshed models available from December, i was wondering if its worth the hassle+financial loss of going through selling my car and buying the new SR+ with heatpump and slightly extended range.

My questions are mainly where would i best selling the car (or at least getting quotes)?
Do you thinking i will allot on it since its now secondhand?

Just to note i’m not too fussed about waiting till December since i’m not using it much because of lockdown. But i’m going to be keeping this car for the long run so just wondering if it is worth the hassle of selling and rebuying to get that heatpump/range.
Also to note i’m not one of these people qho needs the latest and greatest but the heat pump i think will be a big improvement wspecially since we live in a country with such cold climates.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

They really are marginal quoted increases on SR+ and LR, +1 for keep what you have unless you absolutely have to have black trim and the new interior bits.

You will end up losing value on 2 cars in a few months, is this a factor for you ?

I guess you could end up with a heat pump but a car with a battery that degrades just a bit quicker (still within tolerances) and end up exactly the same range after a number of years anyway.

It's real life range that counts, so your own usage might mean less of a difference anyway.

Probably comes down to how you feel about it and what's affordable to you, rather than a theoretical milage gain.

Why would you bother? The marginal increase seems hardly worth the hassle and aggro.

Just enjoy what you’ve got.
It was mainly for the heat pump, I'm not fussed about the other changes. If its just a small price bump then i may consider, but as you say probably not worth the hassle, so just exploring potential options.

Crikey that's averaging +30k pa, what's your normal usage?
Ahh that's because I did loads of road trips (Snowdonia, London and Cornwall) as I had a few weeks holidays, so only doing little mileage now. My estimated mileage is about 12k or less in lockdown. Once out of lockdown (whenever that happens), I'll probably be doing 15-20k with my commute.

They really are marginal quoted increases on SR+ and LR, +1 for keep what you have unless you absolutely have to have black trim and the new interior bits.
You will end up losing value on 2 cars in a few months, is this a factor for you ?
Yeah i think i'll just keep my car i absolutely love it, i was just worried with the range loss in the winter. I did get the car 2k cheaper than the RRP so was wondering if I only had to pay 1-2 grand it may be worth the hassle but to be honest with all the comments on here, it probably isnt worth it.

I guess you could end up with a heat pump but a car with a battery that degrades just a bit quicker (still within tolerances) and end up exactly the same range after a number of years anyway.

It's real life range that counts, so your own usage might mean less of a difference anyway.

Probably comes down to how you feel about it and what's affordable to you, rather than a theoretical mileage gain.
I wasnt aware of the battery degrading, thanks for letting me know.

Thanks for the replies all.

The prices that used SR+ are getting might be worthwhile? I guess you could SoR it with someone like S Jones Ltd who sold my car. I got £2k less than I paid for my SR+ in the summer and Simon took a fee of £1200. He sold it in a day!

So cost to change would be £3500? I guess if you ordered a new car you could then get a different colour if you didn't gel with the one you had (I never really liked the red on the Model 3). Plus the heat pump, USB-C (if you don't have it) and the other minor improvements like the better centre console design.

With the refreshed models available from December, i was wondering if its worth the hassle+financial loss of going through selling my car and buying the new SR+ with heatpump and slightly extended range.

A 3.5% increase in range ... will surely be almost invisible in the mix of everyday use. It certainly isn't enough to affect the judgement of overall capability ... it ain't going to become an LR! Having said that I do realise that every percentage point advantage is going to be attractive for the SR+. Of course that range is without including the heat pump advantage as the tests do not include the use of HVAC. At the moment we just don't have the data to know how significant the cold weather consumption difference is going to be. (Also we don't have a comparison of any disadvantage of a predicted less responsive heating system using the heat pump compared to instant resistive heating.) Even if I was keen to make a car change I would want to see how things pan out over the first winter with the new upgrades before deciding if it was going to be a good thing. If range was such a consideration after experiencing your present car then maybe you should be looking at a LR instead of an SR+?

Tesla's offer will be derisory, close to or even worse than WBAC. I too received the email mentioned above, and enquired about a trade-in price on my March 2020 M3P, purely out of interest.

You could try selling the car privately or on SOR, even if you're only semi-serious about it (but it may cost you money to find out). You'll get a feel for the market and what people are expecting to pay, etc.

The problem really as I see it is that I don't think there will be many people who will - knowing that a refreshed version is out - decide to pay close to the retail price for yours instead. So, anyone in the market would have the same quandary as you - "is it worth £X to get the updated model".

For what it's worth, as a general rule, selling a nearly new car is going to be painful, and a 70 plate especially. There is a fair amount of depreciation that is front loaded, e.g. if you tried to sell it back to a dealer they'd want a decent return to cover their risk, etc.

Heat pump will be a nice addition to the M3, but if you have home charging then preconditioning using shore power will imo have much the same effect. Willing to be told I'm wrong though. :)

Reactions: Mikeoneuk85
The prices that used SR+ are getting might be worthwhile? I guess you could SoR it with someone like S Jones Ltd who sold my car. I got £2k less than I paid for my SR+ in the summer and Simon took a fee of £1200. He sold it in a day!

So cost to change would be £3500? I guess if you ordered a new car you could then get a different colour if you didn't gel with the one you had (I never really liked the red on the Model 3). Plus the heat pump, USB-C (if you don't have it) and the other minor improvements like the better centre console design.

I too can vouch for selling a car via S Jones LTD. I sold my M3P via Simon about a month ago. I got a top price for the car and the service I recieved was spot on.

Unless you are a taxi driver needing to heat the car all day including when not driving, I see little real benfits from the heat pump. Another usecase for the heat pump is people without home charging who do lots of short journeys.

Otherwise the heat pump makes little practical difference for long distance driving and the short distance range is unlikely to be an issue.

Hi All,

I’ve had my SR+ for about 5 weeks clocking up just under 3k miles ans the car is still in new condition (minus a bit of kerb rashing on one of the wheels).

My questions are mainly where would i best selling the car (or at least getting quotes)?
Do you thinking i will allot on it since its now secondhand?

Just to note i’m not too fussed about waiting till December since i’m not using it much because of lockdown. But i’m going to be keeping this car for the long run so just wondering if it is worth the hassle of selling and rebuying to get that heatpump/range.
Also to note i’m not one of these people qho needs the latest and greatest but the heat pump i think will be a big improvement wspecially since we live in a country with such cold climates.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Out of “curiosity”, i responded to the email from Tesla to upgrade my 70 reg performance model 3 (bought early September), to see how much it would cost to move to the new model. Tesla gave a me trade in offer of 48K, so that’s about 10K to upgrade to the new model..
I kindly passed on the offer and will learn to live with my car..

Out of “curiosity”, i responded to the email from Tesla to upgrade my 70 reg performance model 3 (bought early September), to see how much it would cost to move to the new model. Tesla gave a me trade in offer of 48K, so that’s about 10K to upgrade to the new model..
I kindly passed on the offer and will learn to live with my car..
That's odd because I got a £52,400 offer for my March 2020 M3P. Would cost me ~£13k to get into the same car in MY21 spec though, so also politely declined.